smsl su-8 dac?
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #301 of 463
Hi everyone, just bought an SU-8 V2 from Shenzhen Audio. Planning to snag a THX789 when its available as well.

I’m intending to use this combo with my JBL LSR305s and HD800S.

If I use the balanced XLR connections for SU-8 to the LSR305s, can I connect the DAC to amp using RCA to XLR cables? Will this allow me to use both my speakers and headphones?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #302 of 463
Hi everyone, just bought an SU-8 V2 from Shenzhen Audio. Planning to snag a THX789 when its available as well.

If I use the balanced XLR connections for SU-8 to the LSR305s, can I connect the DAC to amp using RCA to XLR cables? Will this allow me to use both my speakers and headphones?

Thanks!
Yep Will work with true differential amp like thx aaa. No prob.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #303 of 463
Yep Will work with true differential amp like thx aaa. No prob.
Agreed that it will work. A better option for you may be one of these though. I have two and Love them. Allows you to switch between three sources (2balanced and one rca) as well as the same amount of the outputs. You could do the SMSL into balanced 1 (and another balanced dac in 2 as well as one-non 3), then choose either your speakers A with balanced out to them, and balanced out to your amp B. If your amp is only rca, it will handle that too- C. Well worth the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Bal...balanced+/RCA&qid=1554399788&s=gateway&sr=8-6

2019-04-04_10-45-15.jpg
2019-04-04_10-46-16.jpg

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #304 of 463
Apr 5, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #305 of 463

Thanks!

I have this exact combo and love it. I am also using balanced headphones, and I use XLR to XLR to go from DAC to AMP, and use RCA to goto my Mixer that feeds my powered monitors. I use my headphones and speakers at the same time as well sometimes.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #307 of 463
Agreed that it will work. A better option for you may be one of these though. I have two and Love them. Allows you to switch between three sources (2balanced and one rca) as well as the same amount of the outputs. You could do the SMSL into balanced 1 (and another balanced dac in 2 as well as one-non 3), then choose either your speakers A with balanced out to them, and balanced out to your amp B. If your amp is only rca, it will handle that too- C. Well worth the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Balanced-Converter-Audio-Selector/dp/B07D7P7366/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=nobsound+balanced+/RCA&qid=1554399788&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Will check this out, thank you!!

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #308 of 463
I have this exact combo and love it. I am also using balanced headphones, and I use XLR to XLR to go from DAC to AMP, and use RCA to goto my Mixer that feeds my powered monitors. I use my headphones and speakers at the same time as well sometimes.
That’s awesome, I’m really hoping they relaunch the drop for the amp soon. Can I check what mixer you’re using?

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #309 of 463

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Balanced-Converter-Audio-Selector/dp/B07D7P7366/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=nobsound+balanced+/RCA&qid=1554399788&s=gateway&sr=8-6

How much, if anything, does a switcher like this degrade the signal? I'd hate to spend money on a DAC and amp to get a better sound, only to degrade with a noisy component!

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #310 of 463
I
How much, if anything, does a switcher like this degrade the signal? I'd hate to spend money on a DAC and amp to get a better sound, only to degrade with a noisy component!
I have an Audio GD Balanced Dac and SMSL SU-8 tied to this now, and the Audio GD NFB-11 amp I have also has inputs that are supposed to be even better than the XLR (it bypasses some of the output stage as I understand it and essentially a more direct path to the amplifier from the DAC). I've done a-b comparisons with this set-up, and even with the Nobsound in-line with two sets of xlr's I feel the difference is indistinguishable from even the most direct input method to the amp. XLRs in themselves provide such a clear path to the amplifier anyway due to the inherent noise suppression that it's not the same to me as the need for really good cables when using RCAs where I believe you can hear the difference somewhat. This device is also passive, so all it really does is cross-connect the cables and likely has some caps like other products I've seen that Douk/Nobsound make, to prevent any signal traveling back towards the other connections. Effectively there is nothing being introduced to the signal (noise) since this device has no power at all. Like magic! :p

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #311 of 463
Hi fellow SU-8 owners,

I have a weird issue with my unit (v2), as it randomly and automatically changes the volume level while listening to music.

Has anybody had same kind of behavior with their SU-8? Any ideas if there is something I can do to fix this. Hardware or software issue?

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #312 of 463
Hi fellow SU-8 owners,

I have a weird issue with my unit (v2), as it randomly and automatically changes the volume level while listening to music.

Has anybody had same kind of behavior with their SU-8? Any ideas if there is something I can do to fix this. Hardware or software issue?

I received the SU-8 & SH-8 combo from the recent Massdrop yesterday. I don't have any issues with the volume changing on the SU-8 output, it remains at MAX the whole time. Are you using any type of EQ/DSP?
edited-image.png

Apr 16, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #313 of 463
Hi fellow SU-8 owners,

Maybe you are sitting on the remote? :p

Make sure the firmware is up to date. You can download the lastest driver here:

http://www.smsl-audio.com/download.asp?p=2

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #314 of 463

That's a good point about drivers and firmware.

Hi fellow SU-8 owners,

For Reference and Comparison,

My SU-8 says 10th Anniversary Version on the back. And is on firmware version 1.6.
I'm not using any drivers since I'm using the coax input.

Apr 19, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #315 of 463

Actually, I am not using a driver at all. How can you update the firmware? I have the 10th anniversary edition with firmware version 1.4 I think.

As far the issue is concerned, I have not had that since I made a factory reset to the device. Fingers crossed the volume bug stays away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back