smsl su-8 dac?
Mar 2, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #286 of 463
My unit doesn't seem to play anymore with optical input .. the screen has the correct bitrate ... But both sets of outputs have no sound ... Volume at max

Also the driver on my laptop is no longer recognizing the su8 and display keeps switching to unlock

How long have you had your SU-8 for? The first thing I did was test the input both USB and coaxial are both working as I have heard from others of some input issues.

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #289 of 463
If any DAC stops working suddenly, the first thing to do is to unplug the power cord for 30 seconds to a minute. Then reconnect the power cord and see if it works. You can have a power surge or power glitch which will sometimes 'scramble' the DAC chips and plugging and unplugging may reset it. Has happened to me twice recently on 2 Topping D50's and a number of other DAC's over the years.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #291 of 463
Mar 3, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #293 of 463
Thanks a lot for sharing this.
Still don't understand and don't see on the graph any difference between the Linear fast, Apodizing fast and the Brickwall. They all look (almost) same to me.
Look at the impulse response graphs. The ones all of the way over to the left of the graph have no pre-ringing. Other than that some of them do look very similar.
The bottom graph shows the frequency responses of the different filters. There is where you will see more differences.

BTW, though I haven't listened critically yet, I admit that I can tell almost no difference in the sound regardless of which filter I use.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #294 of 463
I just got the SU-8 on Friday from Amazon. I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but when the track changes on Tidal, I will usually (though not always) get some kind of pop or momentary hiccup in the first second of the new track. This is within the same album, so the sampling rate should not be changing (unless the pause between tracks changes the rate momentarily?). Another oddity--I've been comparing the SU-8 with and without the Schiit Eitr, and the hiccup does not appear to occur when using the Eitr. (However, in limited comparisons it does seem to me that the Eitr, which definitely improved things with Mimby, has a negative effect with the SU-8. It introduces obvious harshness on some tracks.)

So this may be slightly random but partly related. I also have the SU8, tidal, but pushing it with the JOT. I don’t ever hear the pop or hiccup in between tracks, but I wanted to ask about your sampling rates with Tidal and the SU8. My sampling rate never seems to change from 44.1.... I’ve shifted through thousands of songs just to see but the SMSL constantly shows 44.1. Any insight?

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #295 of 463
So this may be slightly random but partly related. I also have the SU8, tidal, but pushing it with the JOT. I don’t ever hear the pop or hiccup in between tracks, but I wanted to ask about your sampling rates with Tidal and the SU8. My sampling rate never seems to change from 44.1.... I’ve shifted through thousands of songs just to see but the SMSL constantly shows 44.1. Any insight?
You need to use exclusive mode for sample rate control
https://www.avhub.com.au/news/sound-image/how-to-play-tidals-high-res-masters-on-your-mac-446915

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #296 of 463
Mar 28, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #297 of 463
I got the SU-8 this week, It has firmware V1.6.
Massdrop LCX > SU-8 > Sennheiser HD800s & i have to say its Not a good combo. Tried the PCM filters they do things but nothing that helps. Tried the DSP, "original" flattens everything to a unnatural level so it kinda works but sounds bad.
Keeping the it stock now (fast linear/Standard).
Then i messed with the amp, The headphones need 3x gain but the voices fade out & all sounds other than voice is evenly produced forward, full & equal which is Bad. 1x gain its forward voices & everything else is recessed in a balanced way even in high volume which is also bad because its over recessed. So the Amp is the issue.

Honestly just posting this in case someone else has this combo & issue, save them some time figuring it out, Replace the amp or use the Sdac.

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #298 of 463
I have put my SMSL SU-8 V2 up for sale. If any one is looking for these in Long Island, NY please PM me. Can't justify keeping multiple DAC at same time.

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #299 of 463
I had a Magni 3/Modi 3 Schiit stack for awhile and recently upgraded to the Jot/SU-8. I am still waiting for my balanced headphone cables to come in but I am loving this setup even out of the SE output. There is a very noticeable improvement from the Schiit stack. Source is my local FLAC music collection on my PC.

IMG_20190403_143416.jpg

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #300 of 463
What pcm filter are u using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back