smsl su-8 dac?
May 18, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #331 of 463
When I first got into the Headfi scene some 10+ years ago I started with a Beyerdynamic DT 770 80-Ohm. I then moved on to a AKG K701 until the left channel stopped working on them due to a loose wire. I Tried self repairing them, but didn't have any luck. I really liked the sound signature of them and decided to try something different, yet somewhat similar and that's how I arrived at the K712 Pro. But after all these years, I still think I preferred the K701's (with a much needed bass EQ increase). I still go back to the DT770's when I feel like cranking some old DnB tunes.

I've always loved the look of Grado's, but never got a chance to try any.
I personally have Q701 with modded headphone for comfort. I use MorphIt VST to 'correct' the Q701 to HD650 response.

Sounds great!!!

May 18, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #332 of 463
Anyone here compared the SU-8 with a JDS Labs El Dac?

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #333 of 463
The windows USB driver for the Su-8 is dated at version 4.95 Feb 13 2019 on the smsl downloads page but they have not update the description.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #334 of 463
Just went back on sale at Shenzhen. For Canada it is the same price as the Drop (free shipping vs $12.50 shipping charge). I will be ordering tonight and hope for delivery this week. Some people seem to get very fast delivery.

Shane D

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #335 of 463
I ordered one today from Shenzhen so hopefully it arrives soon. Really didn't need it, but I figured the features are solid and apparently the technical design is very solid and measures quite well so hard to beat for an on a budget DAC.

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #336 of 463
I ordered one today from Shenzhen so hopefully it arrives soon. Really didn't need it, but I figured the features are solid and apparently the technical design is very solid and measures quite well so hard to beat for an on a budget DAC.

That's what I was thinking. I ordered it EARLY last Monday morning. It is now in Canada and I should be getting it in a few days.

Did you get it on sale?

Shane D

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #337 of 463
That's what I was thinking. I ordered it EARLY last Monday morning. It is now in Canada and I should be getting it in a few days.

Did you get it on sale?

Shane D
Through ebay it was $212US so a decent price I thought. I have balanced inputs on my M3 so I thought, what to heck, I want to feed the amp with enough voltage. I found using RCA from an iFi iOne or the Q5 at close to 2v resulted in some volume attenuation, but I rather doubt it is anything much. I just thought this would be a fun and safe try as the price is right. Plus I haven't tried ESS chips in a while and my M3 and speakers are both slightly mellow so I thought this might actually be a good fit in that sense. I was close to getting the Topping D70 but for more than double the price I figured why bother, my Q5 has a really solid AKM chip configuration anyway even if the LO is only 1.8v that shouldn't really matter. Look forward to hearing what you think. I suspect I have been reading some of your posts over at another community. Cheers.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #338 of 463
Through ebay it was $212US so a decent price I thought. I have balanced inputs on my M3 so I thought, what to heck, I want to feed the amp with enough voltage. I found using RCA from an iFi iOne or the Q5 at close to 2v resulted in some volume attenuation, but I rather doubt it is anything much. I just thought this would be a fun and safe try as the price is right. Plus I haven't tried ESS chips in a while and my M3 and speakers are both slightly mellow so I thought this might actually be a good fit in that sense. I was close to getting the Topping D70 but for more than double the price I figured why bother, my Q5 has a really solid AKM chip configuration anyway even if the LO is only 1.8v that shouldn't really matter. Look forward to hearing what you think. I suspect I have been reading some of your posts over at another community. Cheers.

I got it for the same price. Did you buy from Shenzhen or a retailer?

What kind of delivery time are you looking at? I am on the east coast, so my time is long.

Shane D

Jun 26, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #339 of 463
I got it for the same price. Did you buy from Shenzhen or a retailer?

What kind of delivery time are you looking at? I am on the east coast, so my time is long.

Shane D
Hi. Well, I actually decided to cancel my order. Not because I don't really want this DAC, and not because it isn't an amazing deal. I have returned to university very late in life so given that until my program is done I only work part-time I figure it is better to make do with what I have as is. I have recently purchased a nearly new Edition X V2 and AM3D module for my Q5 as well as a reasonable, but not completely inexpensive 4.4mm terminated balanced cable for the HEX2 so I figure given my greatly reduced income level a DAC was just too far down the priority and needs list. Shame, I was really looking forward to this, but I'll survive. Looking forward to your impressions though.

I ordered right from Shenzhen and my time frame for delivery was broad from July 16 through August 5 I believe. Cheers.

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #340 of 463
Hi. Well, I actually decided to cancel my order. Not because I don't really want this DAC, and not because it isn't an amazing deal. I have returned to university very late in life so given that until my program is done I only work part-time I figure it is better to make do with what I have as is. I have recently purchased a nearly new Edition X V2 and AM3D module for my Q5 as well as a reasonable, but not completely inexpensive 4.4mm terminated balanced cable for the HEX2 so I figure given my greatly reduced income level a DAC was just too far down the priority and needs list. Shame, I was really looking forward to this, but I'll survive. Looking forward to your impressions though.

I ordered right from Shenzhen and my time frame for delivery was broad from July 16 through August 5 I believe. Cheers.

Well you certainly have some nice headphones anyway.:relaxed:

It will feel weird going back to school. I went back in 2016/2017 for one year. I loved it, but everyone was SO young. Good luck.

Shane D

Jun 26, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #341 of 463
Got my toy this morning. Ordered Monday, June 17th at 1:00AM and received at 11:00AM on June 26th, from Singapore.

I wonder if the pass included was for the recent Shenzhen Audio show?

USB cable included, looks nice and feels substantial. Looking forward to playing with it.

Shane D

20190626_111931_HDR.jpg

Jun 26, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #342 of 463
So far, so good. The unit powered on fine. I went through the menu's and they all worked fine. No dead channels and no hum. Everything seems A OK so far.
And the Loki is cool! That'll give your Grado's some bass.:L3000:

Shane D

20190626_173006.jpg 20190626_175432.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #344 of 463
Update, I ended up going through with the order so hopefully in about 8 days I will have an opportunity to test the SU-8 for myself.

Jun 29, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #345 of 463
I'm having a weird issue with my new SU-8.

There is a high pitched 'ringing' noise/tone that is coming from the display of the SU-8.
It will vary a little depending on brightness and amount of illuminated pixels, but the only way I can get it to stop completely is by turning off the display.

Anyone else have this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back