SMSL M400 is coming around at a concessional rate! ---MQA DAC AK4499 Full Balanced aptX-HD Bluetooth5.0
Aug 5, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #62 of 71
I came here to learn more about the M400. So far I've learned nothing.

From what I've gathered from other sources, This dac is exceptional. Neutral, musical but with lots of details.
Go to audio science review where it has been reviewed by measurements and discussed subjectively as well. SMSL isn't really discussed much here at head-fi in general.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #64 of 71
DACs don't have anything to do with sound stage and separation. Unless the analogue output stage is quite poorly done whether intentional or not.

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #66 of 71

DUDE, I really liked that guys video, it was freaking awesome! He sounds like a dude who knows what he's talking about, and gets straight down to the nitty and gritty, with no BS. Plus, it was nice how he included that video from his friend on there, on his opinions of the DAC as well. And it was cool that he gave us a bit of a demo at the very end for us to listen to, simular to how Z-Reviews does as well, but without the anime obsession in our faces. So one might say, the S.M.S.L M400 may crystallize your dreams into a new audio reality. HEHE :ksc75smile:

The days of budget audio reaching high end audio are here!

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #67 of 71
DUDE, I really liked that guys video, it was freaking awesome! He sounds like a dude who knows what he's talking about, and gets straight down to the nitty and gritty, with no BS. Plus, it was nice how he included that video from his friend on there, on his opinions of the DAC as well. And it was cool that he gave us a bit of a demo at the very end for us to listen to, simular to how Z-Reviews does as well, but without the anime obsession in our faces. So one might say, the S.M.S.L M400 may crystallize your dreams into a new audio reality. HEHE :ksc75smile:

The days of budget audio reaching high end audio are here!
Yeah! I myself, like some, wasnt that much interested with SMSL at first because of the stories about their units dying and the poor CS. However this may change my views about the brand. He mentioned that he also received the D90 so Ill definitely wait for that. For now Ill enjoy my Modius while the D50 is about to find a new owner.

Oct 2, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #70 of 71
I fully agree with the review, in fact combined with the IFI ICAN PRO amplifier it is a perfect match.

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #71 of 71
This thread has been dead a while, but I'm looking into buying either an SMSL M400 or D1se.... Anyone have experience with both units? Do folks still love their M400's a few years later?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back