SMSL M400 is coming around at a concessional rate! ---MQA DAC AK4499 Full Balanced aptX-HD Bluetooth5.0
May 8, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #31 of 71
Laughing at someone for whom english is not their first language, and despite the fact makes an effort to communicate, speaks volumes about your character.
Well yeah sorry if it offend anyone, enough for them to report it, but i mean it's a company, and they appointed their representative right? I'm just questioning why.

May 9, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #32 of 71
About the quality of the components: Would need an expert open them both and analyze the components.
The measurement reviews on asr and other websites are a nice start and helpful, but don't tell complete unvarnished truth.
Some things can't be measured with equipment and some forums members are fanatics going nuts when something measures 2 db worse :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
At such low mid-tier prices, topping and smsl usually cheap out on components as the power supply, transistors, capacitors, connectors etc.
Noise from a power supply is very easy to measure. Mytek has a 1200 dollars dac-amp with a bad psu. So if the "cheap" psu from Topping or SMSL doesnt create any meaningful noise, it has the necessary quality.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #34 of 71
About the quality of the components: Would need an expert open them both and analyze the components.
The measurement reviews on asr and other websites are a nice start and helpful, but don't tell complete unvarnished truth.
Some things can't be measured with equipment and some forums members are fanatics going nuts when something measures 2 db worse :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
At such low mid-tier prices, topping and smsl usually cheap out on components as the power supply, transistors, capacitors, connectors etc.
Can you show me evidence of non-measurable effects? Please cite your peer reviewed source.

May 11, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #35 of 71
Can't wait for the release of the AK4499 flagship DAC from S.M.S.L.

May 19, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #36 of 71
SMSL M400 arrived today. First impression, glossy top and wobbly dial wheel sucks. It's slightly smaller than the Monoprice THX AAA 887.
The screen is always on I think. Haven't hook it up to do listen to it yet.
You can turn off the screen with the remote by putting it into standby.

IMG_20200519_180903.jpg

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #37 of 71
SMSL M400 arrived today. First impression, glossy top and wobbly dial wheel sucks. It's slightly smaller than the Monoprice THX AAA 887.
The screen is always on I think. Haven't hook it up to do listen to it yet.
You can turn off the screen with the remote by putting it into standby.

IMG_20200519_180903.jpg
Would appreciate impressions, also can you please screen shot an MQA playback track? thank you and congrats. I went with the D90 MQA and did almost pull the trigger on the M400 but went with the D90 MQA because of the longer time in the field and its been stable at this point and most impressions are very positive. The measurements on the M400 are very compelling and seems like a very solid DAC.

May 19, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #38 of 71
Would appreciate impressions, also can you please screen shot an MQA playback track? thank you and congrats. I went with the D90 MQA and did almost pull the trigger on the M400 but went with the D90 MQA because of the longer time in the field and its been stable at this point and most impressions are very positive. The measurements on the M400 are very compelling and seems like a very solid DAC.
Sorry, I don’t use Tidal so I can’t test MQA. I mainly use JRiver with VST plugins.
I ordered the M400 because I wanted to hear the AK4499EQ DAC plus I wanted a device that I can stand it vertically.
I am enjoying the M400 right now. Listening with the HEDDphone right now and the sub-bass is really extended. I can feel the slight sensation down to my feet. Switching the input on my THX 889, the sound on the M400 is a little more vibrant than my Burson C3.
I have nothing but praise for the sound. It cost more than the Topping D90 right now and I don’t have the D90 to compare it with.
I am looking forward to seeing the specs for the upcoming SP400 amp.
MVIMG_20200519_214234.jpg

MQA logo does show if you play a MQA track. I tested it with a MQA track playing on my phone with UAPP.
IMG_20200520_193909.jpg

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #39 of 71
Sorry, I don’t use Tidal so I can’t test MQA. I mainly use JRiver with VST plugins.
I ordered the M400 because I wanted to hear the AK4499EQ DAC plus I wanted a device that I can stand it vertically.
I am enjoying the M400 right now. Listening with the HEDDphone right now and the sub-bass is really extended. I can feel the slight sensation down to my feet. Switching the input on my THX 889, the sound on the M400 is a little more vibrant than my Burson C3.
I have nothing but praise for the sound. It cost more than the Topping D90 right now and I don’t have the D90 to compare it with.

Upsampling to DSD512 is not perfect for AKM DACs and maybe other DACs too, they should sound better up to DSD256 only as per their data sheet.

May 20, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #40 of 71
How is your impression about D90

May 20, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #41 of 71
D90 just shipped for me, and it will arrive tomorrow. I will have some impressions in the D90 Topping thread over the weekend once I burn the unit in for a few days.

May 20, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #42 of 71
Upsampling to DSD512 is not perfect for AKM DACs and maybe other DACs too, they should sound better up to DSD256 only as per their data sheet.
True. If I want to play DSD512, I have to increase the hardware buffers to 3000 milliseconds. DSD256 is more than enough. I don't hear any different from up-sampled between DSD128 and DSD256.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #44 of 71
MVIMG_20200519_214234.jpg

MQA logo does show if you play a MQA track. I tested it with a MQA track playing on my phone with UAPP.
IMG_20200520_193909.jpg
Hi vault108!

I also am looking to get the same setup as you. I have the Monoprice 887 and want to get the SMSL M400.
Glad to hear the sub-bass is good. How are the highs? The Topping D90 is praised for the brightness (maybe even slightly fatiguing).

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #45 of 71
I own more or less same setup .. Heddphone + Monolyth THX 887, but I am using Neutron Player (for windows or Android) as DLNA renderer with a good PEQ from a M11 or windows 10 PC.

I am evaluating to replace my actual Sony WM1A used as a DAC with one of the 3 options as DAC available with this SMSL M400 (AK4499), SMSL M500 ( ES9038Pro) or Topping D90 MQA (AK4499) all with XMOS XU216 USB Interface.
They all have MQA, but, I wonder if is it really useful ? As it is more or less like LDAC (for BT) just an optimization to compress data trough streaming or files, but not at all to enhance the sound quality compared to a simple FLAC files or stream like Qobuz does, and anyway, it is far from DSD format concerning sound qualities.

Any advice or points that would make choose the SMSL M400 or D90 MQA over the much cheaper SMSL M500 ? Am I missing some feature or sound qualities, if I only use USB Input and analogue XLR x 2 output to the THX887 amp direct to the Heddphone in balanced mode ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back