SMSL D300 Decoder ROHM BD34301EKV Bluetooth 5.0 DAC
Sep 3, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #46 of 118
Well Mandy sorted it out and I could buy a D1SE from her. D300 is indeed a very interesting DAC chip from Kyoto じゃっぱり日本製 Japan married to a Chinese from Shenzhen and the result is an R2R with a Japanese analog heart for those on a strict budget. It should sound like Japanese flutes and drums as intended by the artists and as heard during festivals in Kyoto :). I was agonizing over whether I should buy both DAC a D1SE and a D300 and I almost did. This DAC will gain cult status and a must-have, and I am sure there will be more of this sort of product based on such an analog-sounding chip.
Is this r2r?

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #47 of 118
Is this r2r?
As far as I know, delta sigma but not usual AKM or ESS. Heard that this DAC has quite analogue type sound.

Sep 12, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #50 of 118
Is it just me or does this amp kinda sound like a tube amp?
Isnt d300 a dac? Anyway, did you get d300 recently? what's your impression?

Dec 12, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #52 of 118
I just ordered one off Amazon to try should be here in Jan. Do you guys still like it? I'm curious if it sounds warm and analog. I recently heard a project mid level TT with artist in Tidal vs vinyl. For vocals huge difference. Artist was Ann Bisson.

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #53 of 118
I just ordered one. I was close to getting the Schiit Bifrost 2 but it is double the money. A few reviewers are saying it has a similar sound to Schiit stuff. I’m sure the Bifrost is better but Tharbamar says the D300 sounds better than the Bifrost in a reply to his comments on this YouTube video.

Dec 22, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #54 of 118
I have few hrs on this d300. Definitely sounds softer than my other dacs. Chord Qutest, Musician Pegasus, Denafrips Pontus II. I have to see if I have less resolution. Seems early impressions are that the contrast on my tv has been turned down using as an analogy. I want to hear others who own this dac.

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #55 of 118
I have few hrs on this d300. Definitely sounds softer than my other dacs. Chord Qutest, Musician Pegasus, Denafrips Pontus II. I have to see if I have less resolution. Seems early impressions are that the contrast on my tv has been turned down using as an analogy. I want to hear others who own this dac.
Let us know about the resolution and what you think of it. I wonder if the soundstage will have as much depth as others have stated. I’m hoping it still highly resolving and articulate but don’t mind if it is warmer than the typical Topping sound. If it is similar to Schiit, then that is good for me.

I’ll be running through a Burson Soloist 3xp which is warm anyway.

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #56 of 118
After more hrs on it I feel the thin veil on it is gone. Just as clear as my other dacs. Still has something special about it wee bit less bright Played my familiar tracks and soundstage is same as my other dacs. I declare this a giant killer. Just get before they run out of stock lol!

Dec 22, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #57 of 118
After more hrs on it I feel the thin veil on it is gone. Just as clear as my other dacs. Still has something special about it wee bit less bright Played my familiar tracks and soundstage is same as my other dacs. I declare this a giant killer. Just get before they run out of stock lol!
That is a very lofty comparison as those DACs you have are much more expensive!

This will be my first headphone amp so I’m afraid my assessment won’t be much help. The only thing I can compare it to is my 1972 Marantz 2245 headphone jack!

However, I’ll hold off on spending twice the money on a Bifrost or Ares.

Dec 22, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #58 of 118
That is a very lofty comparison as those DACs you have are much more expensive!

This will be my first headphone amp so I’m afraid my assessment won’t be much help. The only thing I can compare it to is my 1972 Marantz 2245 headphone jack!

However, I’ll hold off on spending twice the money on a Bifrost or Ares.
I read new Bifrost is bit bright. Yeah D300 is giant killer. I use to own Ares II before upgrading to Pontus II. I will post more when I have listen more. But my overall feeling so far is D300 is less digital sounding but not quite as analog yet as say a turntable. But turntable has drawbacks too!

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #59 of 118
Well, the ROHM chip alone costs $100 on its own and is used in the Luxman D-10x which retails for $16,000. Im not saying this dac is up there with the Luxman but its pretty cool to think the ROHM chip is good enough for a TOTL dac in a 16K unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back