SMSL D300 Decoder ROHM BD34301EKV Bluetooth 5.0 DAC
Jan 29, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #16 of 118
Temporary setup location for trying out stuff.

Can't say I hear much of a difference to my Cambridge Cxn V2 with dual Wolfson DAC.

MacBook M1 with QOBUZ app, Singxer SA 1, SMSL D300 . Headphones are the Dan Clark Aeon 2. IMG_20220129_153248.jpg

Mar 5, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #18 of 118
Got a question for you guys I just bought this I'm having some issues. On the little screen why does it not tell you what's currently playing 24/96 24/192 it never tells you what it's playing mine always stays stuck on 44.1 regardless of what I'm playing?

I will say the sound is really good I really like the sound of it it does sound a bit analog but it's got a lot of space a lot of depth it's good I just can't figure why out why it won't tell me what playing.

Mar 5, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 118
Got a question for you guys I just bought this I'm having some issues. On the little screen why does it not tell you what's currently playing 24/96 24/192 it never tells you what it's playing mine always stays stuck on 44.1 regardless of what I'm playing?

I will say the sound is really good I really like the sound of it it does sound a bit analog but it's got a lot of space a lot of depth it's good I just can't figure why out why it won't tell me what playing.
In that case you have a problem with your source.

Mine changes flawlessly to 96/192khz and even DSD. Doesn't matter if my MacBook is the source or my phone

Mar 5, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #20 of 118

Hi, Do you have the foorbar player? Recommend used the foorbar.

S.M.S.L Stay updated on S.M.S.L at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/S.M.S.LOfficiaI https://twitter.com/SMSL_Official http://www.smsl-audio.com/ smsl_mandy@126.com
Mar 5, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #21 of 118
I was playing off of Amazon music HD, don't have any flac files on my computer or fubar. I think with Amazon HD music it should still change maybe I got a defective d300. I may download foobar or another player and try some files and see what happens.

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #22 of 118
I was playing off of Amazon music HD, don't have any flac files on my computer or fubar. I think with Amazon HD music it should still change maybe I got a defective d300. I may download foobar or another player and try some files and see what happens.
Try changing the output setting, the computer music output setting is incorrect.

S.M.S.L Stay updated on S.M.S.L at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/S.M.S.LOfficiaI https://twitter.com/SMSL_Official http://www.smsl-audio.com/ smsl_mandy@126.com
Mar 5, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #23 of 118
If you are using windows without using ASIO drivers the windows system is resampling everything anyway.

As long as you are able to adjust the volume in Windows it's not bit perfect.

Your DAC is probably not defect (99.99% sure).

Mar 5, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #24 of 118
I use mine with a Bluesound Node (2021) and have no issues with the Amazon Music HD showing the right resolution. The display does not show the album information. I expect SMSL were able to build this unit with a great chip at a reasonable price point by eliminating fancy displays and DSP stuff. Very nice sound quality upgrade in my setup.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #25 of 118
Something's wrong it's not working I downloaded the driver for the d300 doesn't make a bit of difference I am able to control the volume from the external dac but I'm also able to control the volume in Windows.

People telling me to download asio driver use this type of player I want to use my Amazon music HD directly through Amazon I did this before when I had another external DAC and I had no issues now with this new d300 something's going on can't figure it out.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #26 of 118
Something's wrong it's not working I downloaded the driver for the d300 doesn't make a bit of difference I am able to control the volume from the external dac but I'm also able to control the volume in Windows.

People telling me to download asio driver use this type of player I want to use my Amazon music HD directly through Amazon I did this before when I had another external DAC and I had no issues now with this new d300 something's going on can't figure it out.

Maybe upload a screenshot of your windows settings. Did you select the DAC and are you using a player with ASIO drivers?

Without the correct settings it can't work, as long as you are able to adjust the volume in Windows you are not using asio

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #27 of 118

Sorry cannot help with the Amazon issue, but I had the same problem with a few Windows players. Foobar with the ASIO plugin did not work either.
JPlay works OK here.... if you want to test the DAC, you can try a few local files using JPlay.
Download and install JPlay, set JPlay settings to KS (Kernel Streaming). Pick a local WAV music file and copy to clipboard.
Launch JPlay Mini and press the spacebar to play the file. If the file size is large, you may need to increase the JPlay Mini buffer.

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #28 of 118
I actually fixed it I had to go into control panel click on the audio device go to advanced and there's a drop-down menu and I set it to 24/192 works perfectly fine now.

But when I'm on Amazon music let's say I'm playing a 24/96 file the screen on the DAC will always show 24/192 regardless it never changes it's just fixed at that which tells me something still not right but the music sounds way better because now on Amazon music it actually tells me my device is capable of 24/192 and it's playing at that.

And I have to say I love this dac this is the best dac I've ever heard of course there are better more expensive ones but it sounds really good very happy with my purchase.

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #29 of 118
I actually fixed it I had to go into control panel click on the audio device go to advanced and there's a drop-down menu and I set it to 24/192 works perfectly fine now.

But when I'm on Amazon music let's say I'm playing a 24/96 file the screen on the DAC will always show 24/192 regardless it never changes it's just fixed at that which tells me something still not right but the music sounds way better because now on Amazon music it actually tells me my device is capable of 24/192 and it's playing at that.

And I have to say I love this dac this is the best dac I've ever heard of course there are better more expensive ones but it sounds really good very happy with my purchase.
Amazon music player is not bit perfect. So Windows is upsampling your music to 192khz. This was one of the reasons I stopped using Amazon music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back