SMSL D300 Decoder ROHM BD34301EKV Bluetooth 5.0 DAC
Jul 9, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #106 of 118
my bad. there has been some user's impression regarding d300's sound vs other r2r dacs. Curious to see if new revision to this dac will continue to attract the customers looking for a different sound signature, not typical D/S.

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #107 of 118
my bad. there has been some user's impression regarding d300's sound vs other r2r dacs. Curious to see if new revision to this dac will continue to attract the customers looking for a different sound signature, not typical D/S.

I’ve also been curious about comparisons between this and a Denafrips or other model r2r DAC. Interested to learn what you found out. I tried one out for a month and absolutely loved it, but not so much at the current price point.

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #108 of 118
Long been interested in this product as it seems provide a bit analogue like sound which is not easily found if not R2R. Has anyone experience d300 and r2r product like gustard r26 or denafrips one? Can someone tell me if d300 can be a cheap alternative for someome who seeks r2r taste?
I own an analog set up Pontus II, Pegasus and the D300 and yes the D390 can give you that analog taste. Sounds best balance out slow filter.

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #110 of 118
Besides the analog type sound signature, how does it compare sound wise to those much more expensive units?
Very competitive only if you use balance out with slow filter. I was shocked as my Pontus sounded more digital. R2R may sound a wee bit bloomier but it's not there on analog. An example is Anne Bisson Be My Lover Album streamed on Qobuz Hi Rez sounds closest to my special 45 rpm 180g pressing done by Bernie Grundman.

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #111 of 118
Very competitive only if you use balance out with slow filter. I was shocked as my Pontus sounded more digital. R2R may sound a wee bit bloomier but it's not there on analog. An example is Anne Bisson Be My Lover Album streamed on Qobuz Hi Rez sounds closest to my special 45 rpm 180g pressing done by Bernie Grundman.
That’s some major praise if it compares that well to the Pontus at a forth of the cost!

Jul 9, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #112 of 118
That’s some major praise if it compares that well to the Pontus at a forth of the cost!
Yeah! I have to more testing against my Pegasus next. I was mostly listening to vinyl today and towards the end switch to Pontus to listen to same songs in Hi Rez and sound digital and a bit bright. Then I decided to try balance out of D300 with slow filter and was in shock how close it is to my turntable. On good records like Norah Jones for example vinyl still has more realism. But damn closer than I thought as I can't but everything on vinyl.

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #113 of 118
smsl is releasing the new DAC using the same Rohm chip as D300, but this time much more expensive line. VMV D2R, priced ~999$. Curious what justifies the price jump from d300, using the same Rohm chip.

Sep 6, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #114 of 118
smsl is releasing the new DAC using the same Rohm chip as D300, but this time much more expensive line. VMV D2R, priced ~999$. Curious what justifies the price jump from d300, using the same Rohm chip.
Probably improvements to the power supply and analog output stage.

Sep 6, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #115 of 118
Probably overpriced but still glad they're releasing another unit with rohm chip. Good to have a variety of chips. D300 is a rare gem.

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #116 of 118
Purchased this DAC recently from Amazon as 'Like New'. So far I love, love, love the character of it. 'Cozy' but not smothered or without air and detailed but effortlessly natural, especially in the upper mids and treble. No 'glare' there whatsoever and I'm particularly sensitive to it. I was looking for a natural sounding DAC and I'm very happy with this, the midrange is simply beautiful. I can here some caveats - the bass has softer impact and the macrodynamics tend toward flat/controlled but thankfully, this is not an issue for my library.

What a little bargain!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #117 of 118
Unlike a number of other dacs I've used in this price range, the D300 is not awful at all. But, once I started using a TDA 1541 dac, the D300 was retired.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #118 of 118
The D300 with a Gustard U18 DDC is not that bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back