SMH at Audio-Technica for having such an overinflated product lineup.
Dec 20, 2007 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
I mean almost all their cans have no identity like AKG k701, top senns, beyers anfd stax. I wonder how their R&D spreads their attention and efforts. I kinda suspect about that. Tell me what you think about that.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 32
Well that would be the L3000 but that is not a current production can. The best current one is probably the W5000 but I have not heard it personally.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 32
I don't think Audio Technica has a more diverse product line than AKG or Sennheiser, and I'd say I think their best is better than anything either company makes at the moment.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 32
I don't think Audio Technica markets itself well in the United States. They usually have to be shipped from Japan, so there aren't as many around.

The "name" you associate with AKG, Sennheiser, et al. has been carefully planned and paid for. They deliberately put gear in the hands of reviewers and have US distributors who are very interested in selling product.

For whatever reason, Audio Technica isn't trying to put itself in the US market yet. When they do, you'll know. Look at Ultrasone. They were on the fringe until they started attending shows and making a push

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 32
Audio Technica has made one attempt so far to infiltrate the US market and it has been wildly successful with the ATH-ANC7. They are consistently the #1 selling headphone at Amazon and are also frequently sold out at J&R. I'd say that given their success with their first major attempt at consumer market infiltration we will see more coming soon.

Dec 21, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 32
Their name may be Audio Technica, but in fact they also involve in many other kind of non audio related business. For one, they are large supplier of sushi making machines. For a multi-core business as large as they are, I think their audio lineup is just fine (especially when they are still making top of the line headphones).

Can't say the same to other multi-core Japanese companies thought (Sony, anyone?). Would also like to see how Senn. or AKG will manage their food processor business
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 32
Still, thay have too many cans. There are Audio-Technica ATH-A900 and A700, then there are ATH-AD900 and AD700 and even ATH-FC700 and soooooo onю. Why they do that, it's confusing and i don't believe all those cans are honed enough...They're like quantity over quality.

Dec 21, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 32
audio-technica has a broad portfolio of headphones. 90% of them are uninteresting to me. But those 90% are irrelevant much like 90% of Sennheiser, 90% of AKG, 95% of Beyer are irrelevant to me.

I think the only Senn cans I'd be interested in owning again are the HD600. I can't say I'd buy another Orpheus as it really wasn't my sound. K 701 is utterly unteresting to me, though it should be obvious I enjoy the K 1000. DT770 has a nice spot as a good, affordable, closed can, but I've never felt compelled to own one, and doubt I would, much less other Beyer cans.

But I would say if I were offered the W5000 and HA5000, I certainly would take it. It does do what it does very well, and I very much enjoy its imaging and sense of space. Same with the L3000 (a can I somewhat regret having sold...)

Stax is interesting. I like the Omega 2's out of the right system. But other than that, I far prefer the discontinued ones. But again, I don't think the W5000 in the right setup is that embarassed relative to the SR-Lambdas or Lambda Pros in the right setup. I'm uninterested in the SR-404s, much less 303 or 202.

I dunno. I think there are interesting cans from each of the manufacturers, and tons of uninteresting ones. Why do you feel the need to single out audio-technica particularly?

Best regards,

-Jason

Dec 21, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #12 of 32
I don't think Technica has that many more models when compared to Senn or AKG, for instance. It's just that, being a foreign market, it's hard to tell which of their headphone serves what niche. I mean look at how many headphones in general that Senn has produced; at least a couple hundred, the majority of them unfit for audiophile use.

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look at how many headphones in general that Senn has produced; at least a couple hundred, the majority of them unfit for audiophile use.

Quoted for emphasis.. I dont think they have an over inflated product lineup, they just try to fill all niches on the market. And for each niche they try to have a mid-range and a top-level product.. nothing very surprising here.

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, thay have too many cans. There are Audio-Technica ATH-A900 and A700, then there are ATH-AD900 and AD700 and even ATH-FC700 and soooooo onю. Why they do that, it's confusing and i don't believe all those cans are honed enough...They're like quantity over quality.

royalcrown has the point. Senn practically makes the same MX50 earbud (same drive inside) into three major line (street, sport, and style line) than color them differently with different material, now we have over 15 earbuds that sound pretty much the same - that is overinflated. At least ATH-AD700 and A700 do not sound the same at all.

Dec 21, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 32
I agree that Audio Technica has a somewhat nebulous product line-up, and due to their lack of availability in the states, there aren't quite as many reviews or people talking about them. The last thing you want to do is make a blind purchase of an import only headphone that there is little market for if you decide you don't like it.

I also agree that Sennheisers line-up could be even more confusing to someone the products aren't marketed to. Heck, half the stuff on the Headroom site in the Sennheiser section I've never seen nor cared about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back