SM3 vs Monster turbine pro copper vs ....
Mar 12, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #16 of 39
It's harder to rank them on bass quality as that is more of a subjective thing.

If I had to, I'd probably flip it round.

SM3 > MTPC > IE8
But then what if your definition of quality bass is a subwoofer in your head?
L3000.gif

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
for audiophile basshead quality get westone 4 and be done with it

The W4s are excellent IEMs, but they would not make a bass head happy.  They don't have that sub-woofer quality that pounds your head.  They have a much more balanced presentation.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #20 of 39
I've yet to hear IEMs with more bass than the IE8 with dial on max and sony hybrid tips (bassier than the stock silicons as the fit is deeper). If someone knows of something then point me in that direction.
L3000.gif
(don't say JH16!)

What will you be using to power them? I find the MTPC needs more juice than the IE8.

It's also worth considering isolation. If you need good isolation the MTPC trumps the IE8, although it is adequate for the gym.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #22 of 39
Well I really seriously recommend the DDM for bassheads. The DDM's bass has the best texture and the most powerful impact from a universal, you don't hear them but feel them, as if the IEM itself is vibrating. I've had the MTPC a while ago and by quantity it was just no match. I had the SM2(not SM3 though) and the DDM has both better quantity and quality by a big margin. Against the IE8 I don't really know since I've never heard them but against IE7 and bass-oriented equalizing the DDM still wins.

For those who crave treble I don't recommend them, for the mids I think it's very good but there are other options out there, but for the bass there is NO universal (IMHO) that matches the DDM. 

The same bass from an BA phone? No I don't think so, regardless of the sound tuning. BA drivers have their limits, it cannot reproduce the feeling of the phone vibrating in bass-heavy music.

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #25 of 39
Yeah, I meant the radius TWF11. I linked to clieos' review a few posts earlier. Isolation is about average when used with monster gel supertips. It is definitely not its strong point but it is not too bad either. When I tried them with a Cowon player and with some equalizing it provided the best results. With an iPod even when an amp is provided it was not too good especially in the treble region though.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #26 of 39
I have the SM3, the MTPC and the MD Tribute. Don't have the IE8. Of those for a basshead? MD Tribute. Forget the SM3; it's not a bassphone. As for clarity? Where'd you get the idea it was lacking? Is it as analytical as the MTPC? Not at all. But it's far better in terms of bass volume even if it's not quite as 'accurate'. I prefer it. You're going to need an amp 'tho. Have you considered the Atrios?

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
I have the SM3, the MTPC and the MD Tribute. Don't have the IE8. Of those for a basshead? MD Tribute. Forget the SM3; it's not a bassphone. As for clarity? Where'd you get the idea it was lacking? Is it as analytical as the MTPC? Not at all. But it's far better in terms of bass volume even if it's not quite as 'accurate'. I prefer it. You're going to need an amp 'tho. Have you considered the Atrios?

x2

The SM3 bass was very one-note for me.  Pardon the pun.  It was kind of like someone showing up to work that preferred staying home.  I know others feel different.

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #29 of 39
Monster Turbine Pro Copper, of course.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #30 of 39
Why MTPC "of course"? I'm not disagreeing, but you've not given an argument to back up your post.
tongue.gif

I've always been interested in the Monster MD Tribute, but they are so expensive in the UK. (~£350)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back