Slim Devices Transporter!/New $2000 Slimbox
Jul 29, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #106 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Is the Transporter the reason why there are so many EMM Labs CDSD transports sold on Audiogon suddenly?

Don't know. But I do know of 3 people who traded in their EMM Labs for the Esoteric P-03/D-03. My understanding is that the P-03 is a much sought after item right now.

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #107 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradoboy
That was a good read I was all set on getting the Opus, but know I don't now. Going to have to consider the Transporter now. Although I still like the conveince of the Opus of it being a stand alone unit. Transoter is is much cheaper (1799 through A.Techpushers) but is not a stand alone unit. decisons decisions....

I'd avoid the Opus as I think Olive is a fast sinking ship.

Jul 30, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #108 of 148
I wonder if I need this as it's fairly tempting.

Well it's this or build a dedicated media computer for my living room and just run a cable under the carpet. The dedicated media computer would sure be a lot more convenient to browse files.

Jul 30, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #110 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zowbombs
I just noticed no 802.11n support.

802.11n is not official yet..

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #111 of 148
Question: can the Transporter (or the SB3 or other similar devices) function as a regular 'sound card' in a computer, outputting not just music but also Windows audio (for games or other applications)? Can you play music in Foobar2000 while also playing World of Warcraft, for example, as you can with most internal sound cards and external USB sound devices?

Aug 4, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #112 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
Question: can the Transporter (or the SB3 or other similar devices) function as a regular 'sound card' in a computer, outputting not just music but also Windows audio (for games or other applications)? Can you play music in Foobar2000 while also playing World of Warcraft, for example, as you can with most internal sound cards and external USB sound devices?

I don't *think* so, but I agree... that would be very cool.
cool.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #114 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci
I would still have to have a computer running slimserver with the transporter even if all my music is on a NAS, correct?

Correct.
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #115 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith

I use Linksys WMB54G as a regular soundcard.

A more advanced device which uses same cmedia wisonic chipset is this, http://www.sondigo.com/

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #116 of 148
(actually, going to move Linksys/Sondigo discussion to another thread before I derail this one)

Aug 5, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #117 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci
I would still have to have a computer running slimserver with the transporter even if all my music is on a NAS, correct?

No. Some NASes can run SlimServer. The Infrant ReadyNas NV (which has a promo thing on Slim's site) comes preloaded with it, even.

(But seriously, a NAS is a computer. If you can fit the drives in the case, it hardly matters whether your computer is designed as a NAS or not.)

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #118 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkozlows
No. Some NASes can run SlimServer. The Infrant ReadyNas NV (which has a promo thing on Slim's site) comes preloaded with it, even.

(But seriously, a NAS is a computer. If you can fit the drives in the case, it hardly matters whether your computer is designed as a NAS or not.)

Good point. I am running a Buffalo Gigabit Linkstation 400. I'll have to look at it a little closer to see if I can get Slimserver up and running on it.

Aug 5, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #120 of 148
For some people, this item can truly be looked at as costing $1700, not $2000, because the addition of the free SB3 is not insignificant.

I've been pondering purchasing an SB3 for some time now, not for use in an audiophile rig, but rather to use with my cheapie Yamaha receiver in my bedroom. I'd still want this regardless of what I'd use to feed my audiophile system.

Ah, now if only I could afford an audiophile system, then I could probably afford the Transporter as well
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back