Slim Devices Transporter!/New $2000 Slimbox
Aug 5, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #121 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel
For some people, this item can truly be looked at as costing $1700, not $2000, because the addition of the free SB3 is not insignificant.

:

Not only that, but if you pre-order, you can get it w/o the SB3 for $1,700.

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #123 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
How?

I think he may be referring to a sponsor...American Techpushers...offering that deal or something similar but unfortunately, Slim Devices is making a foolish decision to limit/restrict internet sales of this device. Keith told me that he's still trying to get them to change this decision and there is still time but if you check his ad, he's already made the change:

No Transporter

Seem assinine to take this option away from folks who choose to live in more remote areas and don't really have convenient access to brick and mortar outlets. If that's the case, screw 'em. I'll buy the Lavry or Stello or perhaps Storms offerings and buy a Squeezebox for that aspect of things instead. Actually, that seems a far safer route as no one really knows how the Transporter will perform while the other stand alone dacs have proven records.

STUPID Slim Devices....very STUPID!

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #124 of 148
This is good, it helped me decide where to spend my money on next...isolation feet!
k1000smile.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #125 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
I think he may be referring to a sponsor...American Techpushers...offering that deal or something similar but unfortunately, Slim Devices is making a foolish decision to limit/restrict internet sales of this device. Keith told me that he's still trying to get them to change this decision and there is still time but if you check his ad, he's already made the change:

No Transporter

Well the deal from American Techpushers was for $1799 w/o the SB3 which based upon the retail price of the SB3 is actually $100 more than the deal for $1999 w/SB3 on the slimdevices website. Of course if you do not need an SB3 you can still use the preorder deal from Slim Devices and sell the SB3.

Quote:

Seem assinine to take this option away from folks who choose to live in more remote areas and don't really have convenient access to brick and mortar outlets. ...

Well since you can still buy the transporter via the Slim Devices web site I do not see how they have taken anything away from those in remote areas. All they have done is remove the preorder option of paying $1799 for a transporter with no SB3 included.

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #126 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch

I'm a little sorry to read that the remote is still button-based with no knob, trackpad or other analog-ish controls. *sigh* That's the product announcement I really want, a Sonos-like controller for my Squeezeboxes.

Man, I NEVER use my Squeezebox remote. I have a Sony learning remote that covers EVERYTHING in my rig. Supplied remotes are never an issue.
Gerry

Aug 8, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #127 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
How?

Sorry. Just checked with the source. That's just for me.

Aug 10, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #128 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
On the topic of modders, remember that APLHifi uses the same AKM dac in all of his stuff, which is also considered by some to be the best digital in the world fwiw.
tongue.gif

EDIT: And I still take anything RAM says with a huge grain of salt, considering they sell a $485 volume knob.

As for Alex's decision to use the AKM chip: I would not have made that choice. As for being the best digital in the world, his $9K CDP was recently compared to my modded P-3A DAC at the VTV show in LA and the concensus was that they were very close. They are both very very good IME. Ironically, I cannot seem to sell some demo's of the modded P-3A at firesale prices. If it is that good, you would think it would sell like hotcakes. I dont use the P-3A much anymore. My new references are: a modded DAC-1 and a modded Lite DAC-60 with Siemens tubes from 1960 (I call it the "Spoiler"), both with USB/I2S interfaces.

I would take what the reviewers and other audiophiles say with a grain of salt too....

Aug 10, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #129 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by 325xi
Isn't DAC chip is all about resolution power? How can it be musical or not out of the specific circuitry context?

Let's do a test - ask him what CPU is more musical to feed his USB I2S interafce - AMD 64X2 or the new Intel Conroe?

Musical refers to the things that draw you into the music, the things that get your foot tapping, put a smile on your face etc... If it has a hard, dark or clinical sound, this can be very resolving but at the same time unpleasant to listen-to for any length of time. Can cause fatigue. I would describe the AKM chip as being a slightly stark or cold sound. With enough filtering and/or power supply crippling, I believe it could probably sound good, but at some expense of HF extension, dynamics and detail.

Aug 16, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #133 of 148
How many of you here has already ordered the transporter???

I wonder if it is totally insane to buy this and slave it to an external dac.

Aug 16, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #134 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
How many of you here has already ordered the transporter???

I wonder if it is totally insane to buy this and slave it to an external dac.

I ordered 2 and will be using both with an external DAC and also use the analog XLRs on one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back