Slim Devices Transporter!/New $2000 Slimbox
Jul 26, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #76 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
I suggest you take one for the headfi team and buy this baby when it comes out. Give it a good solid run and review it. Then if it's not your cup of tea.....dibs!
biggrin.gif

Don't worry. I've already ordered 2, 1 of which wil be ripped open by my modder for examination and testing.

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #77 of 148
Dang man, that thing looks sexy. Maybe I don't have the experience to talk about this but I honestly don't think SD is aiming at $1k DACs like the Lavry or Benchmark but rather they are hoping this product to compete with higher end DACs in the $2k-3k range. Also, I think it is a very nice all-in-one solution. Hell, it's even got balanced outputs! Maybe I'm wrong here but since it has a volume control, connecting it's outputs to an amp would turn it into a preamp, right?
But who am I fooling, I would have to save for the years to come to buy something like this. Well, seems like I'll save for a modded SB 3 and conform myself with the Zhaolu.

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #78 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Don't worry. I've already ordered 2, 1 of which wil be ripped open by my modder for examination and testing.

TWO?? And I thought I was bad to jump on new stuff! I humbly bow to your impulsiveness!
eek.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #79 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
TWO?? And I thought I was bad to jump on new stuff! I humbly bow to your impulsiveness!
eek.gif

I'm Korean.. obsessive and compulsive are my middle names.

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #80 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I'm Korean.. obsessive and compulsive are my middle names.

That would be cool because your initials would be R.O.C.K. !
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #81 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
That would be cool because your initials would be R.O.C.K. !
biggrin.gif

LOL. Then I must legally change them to be so.

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #82 of 148
I think that the opus is better if your going to be spending this amount of coin. However I have it on good word that a sponsor will annoncing special on the transportor. The device does look super sexy with those VU meters!

Gradoboy

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #84 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Well, not according to this
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...;topicseen#new

LOL. Anthony and I talked about this the day I ordered and cancelled the Opus. He put it on the scope right after I talked to him and told me what he saw. The Transporter came out the same day too (and he is a Slim Devices reseller), which made the decision to cancel the Opus easy. Of course, with Anthony's fix, the Opus is still a great option.

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #85 of 148
I am very seriously thinking about replacing my stock SB2 with one of these. Although I like the sound and features of the SB2 (I also have an SB3 with black anodized faceplate), I was actually planning to mod it and put it in a standard sized aluminum case with a custom PSU. I was also going to get the digital circuitry modded a bit.

This way I can be lazy and simply just fill in a web form and end up with better internal components. I could do without all of the buttons, but they don't seem quite as noticeable on the black model which is what I will most likely order.

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #86 of 148
There's a thread about the Transporter over at audioasylum.com that has many saying it looks like just an upgraded version of the SB3.

On the DAC chip inside the Transporter, the Empirical Audio guy has this to say in the thread: "I have extensively tested this AKM DAC chip. True, it has resolving power, but I just dont feel that it is musical. I have their evaluation board and I modded it extensively. I still dont think it compares to the AD1853 or the BB PCM1704."

I'm looking forward to a detailed comparison (hopefully with at least a bit of blind testing) to other DACs.

Jul 27, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #87 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
There's a thread about the Transporter over at audioasylum.com that has many saying it looks like just an upgraded version of the SB3.

On the DAC chip inside the Transporter, the Empirical Audio guy has this to say in the thread: "I have extensively tested this AKM DAC chip. True, it has resolving power, but I just dont feel that it is musical. I have their evaluation board and I modded it extensively. I still dont think it compares to the AD1853 or the BB PCM1704."

I'm looking forward to a detailed comparison (hopefully with at least a bit of blind testing) to other DACs.

It is just an upgraded version of the SB3, isn't it? As for the DAC, good thing I'm not using it... not that I know what "musical" is supposed to mean anyway. Ahh, but that form factor ...and the AES and word synch.

Jul 27, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #88 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith

On the topic of modders, remember that APLHifi uses the same AKM dac in all of his stuff, which is also considered by some to be the best digital in the world fwiw.
tongue.gif

EDIT: And I still take anything RAM says with a huge grain of salt, considering they sell a $485 volume knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back