Slim Devices Transporter!/New $2000 Slimbox
Jul 26, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #61 of 148
Ah, true, if you don't already have a DAC that deals with jitter this may help. But, on the other hand, why not just buy a Lavry DAC now and save $1000?

I guess we'll have to wait for some formal comparisons to see if the DAC in this unit is competitive with stand-alone DACs.

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #62 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Hmm. The two most "reputable" Squeezebox modders are Red Wine Audio and Bolder, and both companies are still offering SB mods, so which modder have you been talking to??

I obviously can't say. They are certainly 2 reputable modders, but there are others out there. Needless to say, this modder has no agenda. He was just telling me about his experience with the SB3. I assure you he knows his stuff and communicates quite often with the guys at SD. He just doesn't want to waste his time b/c most of his customers are dealing with higher end products and want verifiable jitter and other measurements.

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #63 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
Ah, true, if you don't already have a DAC that deals with jitter this may help. But, on the other hand, why not just buy a Lavry DAC now and save $1000?

I could be wrong, but I don't think most of the people buying this are going to see it that way. It's the entire package that makes it so alluring.

Jul 26, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #64 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Hmm. The two most "reputable" Squeezebox modders are Red Wine Audio and Bolder, and both companies are still offering SB mods, so which modder have you been talking to??

Hey Jon,

Probably Anthony Padilla of Aberdeen, mostly a digital modder and highly respected.

Glenn

Jul 26, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #65 of 148
I'm so glad they announced the transporter when they did. I was soooo close to pulling the trigger and getting another SB3 and sending it off to Dan at db-systems to mod it for Word Clock input. Now I don't have to
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #66 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
I wish you would stop taking every opportunity to diss other dacs so you can get more zhaolu's sold. If zhaolu made a 2k dac I'm sure it would be a revolutionary and unrivaled new entry into the digital world in your eyes, or at least that's what you'd tell everyone.

Well you're wrong. I'd say exactly the same about a $1K Zhaolu - it makes no marketing sense.
Let's set the record straight. I'm not a rep of Zhaolu and I seriously don't give a hoot if you buy one or not. I'm also the one that came out with a negative review of the original Zhaolu D2. On the other hand, I do own an SB3 and I think it's one heck of a product!
There you have it... No need to guess...
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #67 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith

Better yet, buy mine and save more money!
evil_smiley.gif
[need money for my amp upgrade and have decided to mod my E5 and sell the Lavry... haven't listed it yet though]

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #68 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
A regular PC uses switching power supply whose regulation isn't as good and there's more noise. There's no prob with having an ethernet connection as there's a memory buffer in such devices. The clocks on PC soundcards are also not as good.

Jitter issues with SPDIF are not resolved. I can still hear differences of sources and cables. It's just better to have less to begin with.

I don't understand why people don't buffer the SPDIF signal, or the digital signal that feeds the DAC whatever its called. It'd solve all the problems.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #69 of 148
on the whole, i think this thread qualifies as "good buzz" about this new product, even though it is $2K. and the iGrado got "bad buzz" even though it's only 50 bucks. reason why?

LOOKS!
evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, uh, looks go a long way to foster goodwill. Of course we don't know anything about how these pre-release products will sound, except based on a pic and a description, so what else are we supposed to do? Also, it's harder to write off the description when something pretty and shiny is in your sights
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #70 of 148
While this particular product is well out of my price range I'm psyched about it nonetheless. The development of this type of technology is good if you ask me, now if someone could just develop a hybrid between it and the Olive Music stuff and bring it to the market around $500 we'd really have something to drool over.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #71 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by theexec
I don't understand why people don't buffer the SPDIF signal, or the digital signal that feeds the DAC whatever its called. It'd solve all the problems.
rolleyes.gif

They do... and it doesn't.

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #72 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
on the whole, i think this thread qualifies as "good buzz" about this new product, even though it is $2K. and the iGrado got "bad buzz" even though it's only 50 bucks. reason why?

LOOKS!
evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, uh, looks go a long way to foster goodwill. Of course we don't know anything about how these pre-release products will sound, except based on a pic and a description, so what else are we supposed to do? Also, it's harder to write off the description when something pretty and shiny is in your sights
biggrin.gif

I suggest you take one for the headfi team and buy this baby when it comes out. Give it a good solid run and review it. Then if it's not your cup of tea.....dibs!
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #73 of 148
For that kind of money i would atleast want a dual mono DAC setup and a discrete output stage. Whats the use of super low jitter when you put it through a cheap akm dac and some cheap OPAs
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #74 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I obviously can't say. They are certainly 2 reputable modders, but there are others out there. Needless to say, this modder has no agenda. He was just telling me about his experience with the SB3. I assure you he knows his stuff and communicates quite often with the guys at SD. He just doesn't want to waste his time b/c most of his customers are dealing with higher end products and want verifiable jitter and other measurements.

IMO your modder might be missing the boat. I personally own a modded RWA SB2 and although I find the Transporter a very nice product, I think there will still be a market for modded SB2-3.

- The stock SB3 is $300 and gives a pretty descent sound quality, both digital and analog.

- The modded RWA or Bolder SB3 is around $600 to $1000 and gives an even better sound quality that many people are happy to have paid for the mod.

- The Transporter, no doubt, will provide even higher sound quality, however at $2000!

So I honestly think with the three options, we consumers have the best choice we can ask for depending on our budget.

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #75 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
IMO your modder might be missing the boat. I personally own a modded RWA SB2 and although I find the Transporter a very nice product, I think there will still be a market for modded SB2-3.

- The stock SB3 is $300 and gives a pretty descent sound quality, both digital and analog.

- The modded RWA or Bolder SB3 is around $600 to $1000 and gives an even better sound quality that many people are happy to have paid for the mod.

- The Transporter, no doubt, will provide even higher sound quality, however at $2000!

So I honestly think with the three options, we consumers have the best choice we can ask for depending on our budget.

The point is, he generally deals with guys who are spending thousands of dollars on digital gear. He feels that no matter what is done to the SB3, it is a compromise for his customers. Although a market exists for people who want to put $1K into their SB3, with the introduction of the Transporter, he deosn't want to cater to that market because he will undoubtedly have more customers who want the Transporter modded. It's not that the SB3 can't be a good source, he just doesn' feel it can be the kind of source his customers demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back