Sleeping with headphones
May 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ffdpmaggot

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, i'd like to be able to go to sleep with my headphones on, but i can't figure out how to do it well. First, how do you sleep on your stomach with a air of giant circumaurul headphones preventing you from turning you head slightly to breathe? How do you prevent the headphones from slipping off your head when you lay down (i fidn they start to fall off and slip down). And how do you prevent them from coming off in the middle f the night and getting crushed?

May 4, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 17
Headphones in bed at night is the best, your other senses are subdued or muted and hearing just takes over.

As.stated.stomach up or on my side work for me, but I think the person and the pillows are the real determining factors.

May 4, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 17
I sleep on my back at night.  I utilize the Sennheiser HD555 headphones for this purpose.  They do a great job of staying affixed to my head.  My Grados are better for listening while I'm sitting up, alert and listening.

May 4, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Headphones in bed at night is the best, your other senses are subdued or muted and hearing just takes over.

As.stated.stomach up or on my side work for me, but I think the person and the pillows are the real determining factors.

Speakers are also good for the same reason, but it sucks because you only have 3 or so hours before you "fall asleep" while listening to music. You want to "listen" not have it in the background while sleeping
bigsmile_face.gif

May 4, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 17
Your brain actively negates all 'background noise' when you are asleep. It decides if something is 'background noise' by comparing it with your memory of sounds, and deciding if it is a possible warning / sign of danger, and filters it out if that is ruled out.

You can notice that if e.g. you play music through the night or have the window open, and right before you wake up, you notice an ACTIVE de-filtering of all the ambient sounds, as they rush in into your conscious mind.

So no, your brain won't enjoy any music while you are actually asleep. Sorry to debunk that guys.

May 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 17
Yep, no music while I sleep. Clearly recalled when I left the stereo on when I slept and slowly heard muffled sounds till I woke up to a completely different talk show in the morning. I don't remember what I listened to at all.

May 4, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Sleeping with headphones is not good.

Well, that's why I use the Sennheiser HD555 headphones.  They're open - and, I can hear the smoke detectors if I need to.  Plus, I'm just listening with my portable player, so I'm only listening to one album and then the player shuts itself off.  I don't play continuous music during the night.

May 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Speakers are also good for the same reason, but it sucks because you only have 3 or so hours before you "fall asleep" while listening to music. You want to "listen" not have it in the background while sleeping
bigsmile_face.gif

i usually set my ipod to go to sleep after 1:30 hours.

May 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Yep, no music while I sleep. Clearly recalled when I left the stereo on when I slept and slowly heard muffled sounds till I woke up to a completely different talk show in the morning. I don't remember what I listened to at all.

That sort of reminds me of my television watching days.  I'd be watching a sexy movie late at night and end up falling asleep in the chair.  I'd awake at about 5:00 a.m. to some religious show and the preacher would be shouting at me.  It was either that or some horrific infomercial with those loud announcers (sort of like the late Billy Mays). 
wink.gif

May 4, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
That sort of reminds me of my television watching days.  I'd be watching a sexy movie late at night and end up falling asleep in the chair.  I'd awake at about 5:00 a.m. to some religious show and the preacher would be shouting at me.  It was either that or some horrific infomercial with those loud announcers (sort of like the late Billy Mays). 
wink.gif

Happened with cartoons for me. Waking up to some weird 6 year old cartoons is pretty weird. 

May 4, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 17
So no, your brain won't enjoy any music while you are actually asleep. Sorry to debunk that guys.

Oh how audacious of you!
Seriously, I'm referring to the hour or so before falling asleep. Lights out, laying down, all sensory input abated, except hearing... some of the best listening time you're likley to get. I don't think anyone here believes that they can enjoy sound whilst asleep, but falling asleep TO music, that is a whole other ballgame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back