Skullcandy? Seriously???
Jan 28, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #61 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're also probably the only 15 year old (going on your sig) that even knows what Stax Lambda's are, let alone can appreciate them

not at all saying this is a bad thing, but I am saying minority is probably an understatement
wink_face.gif

cheers
beerchug.gif

Wow, I feel like the youngest head-fi'er now.

When I was 12 I thought Bose was GOOD (Well, they are, just crappy SQ/Price ratio)

I think there's like 10 15 year olds on Head-Fi though... Just noticed fraseyboy joined Head-Fi when he was 11/12 years old. Wow.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #62 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing can be worse than the ipod buds.
wink_face.gif
The SC buds are more comfortable, isolate and are durable. Plus, SQ is better. I-buds always sound tinny whereas the SC buds actually have bass. Plus, $9.99 is a decent price for the Ink'd, compared to the almost $30 for replacement ibuds at the Apple Store website. (Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic - Apple Store (U.S.)).

Strange. My Ink'd sound tinny even with a proper seal. And it's not a defect, I've read that many others have had the same experience. Crappy quality control?

I'd still recommend J10s over them any day, though. And you can find them on Amazon for about $8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're also probably the only 15 year old (going on your sig) that even knows what Stax Lambda's are, let alone can appreciate them

not at all saying this is a bad thing, but I am saying minority is probably an understatement
wink_face.gif

cheers
beerchug.gif

I'm 15.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #63 of 202
Double post.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #64 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange. My Ink'd sound tinny even with a proper seal. And it's not a defect, I've read that many others have had the same experience. Crappy quality control?

I'd still recommend J10s over them any day, though. And you can find them on Amazon for about $8.

It's either the seal or the wrong size tips. With the mediums I get a good seal and no tinny sound.

Just remember that a majority of the comment writers are clueless about things like needing a tight seal to get the best bass. I've watched some of those Utube reviews. One dude was calling the rubber eartips "condoms". (facepalm)

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #65 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schweiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting post. You are incredibly thoughtful and well written for a HS student. Well done!

wow, that's not condescending at all.

The thing you have to realize is that all these kids care about is bass. That's it. I know a kid who just spent a whole lot of money on skullcandys, and let me listen to them. It was absolutely horrible sound quality, but all he was concerned with was the bass.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #66 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The thing you have to realize is that all these kids care about is bass. That's it. I know a kid who just spent a whole lot of money on skullcandys, and let me listen to them. It was absolutely horrible sound quality, but all he was concerned with was the bass.

True say, sadly my friend which does use skullcandy had multiple pairs break on him, and probably spent well over 150 getting new ones. That aside, what could i suggest him, easily accessible in Toronto?

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #67 of 202
I bet that skullcandy and especially Bose have all the ability to make a really good sounding headphone, and I honestly wish they would (more options is nice). But audiophiles have labeled these manufacturers as garbage, so they will probably continue to target average consumers.

B&O is one of the only manufacturers that pulls off over-pricing the crap out of customers while still retaining a relatively decent reputation amongst audiophiles (as far as loudspeakers go). But at the same time they actually put out a more respectable and less artificial sound signature.

If you listen to Bose , they have an "engineered" sound that is designed to make any recording sound decent by emphasizing frequencies that the human ear responds well to. They also use waveguides and lots of reflected sound to make things sound more spacious and powerful for the size of the speaker.

Its just a different sound that happens to not appeal to the true audio enthusiast because its not a faithful reproduction of the music. It does NOT sound bad, and you know it.

Stop bashing.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #68 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's either the seal or the wrong size tips. With the mediums I get a good seal and no tinny sound.

Just remember that a majority of the comment writers are clueless about things like needing a tight seal to get the best bass. I've watched some of those Utube reviews. One dude was calling the rubber eartips "condoms". (facepalm)

I know how to get a proper seal. I get it easily with the Ink'd. Mine sound tinny. I am not alone. Yours are bassy. Must be quality control.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #69 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tell your friend about the Coby CV-200. They are $9 and have rediculous amounts of power in the bass. When I was about 12 (Im now 17) I went through a bass phase and found these things. I can garuntee they have more bass then the skullcandy. The midrange sucks and the highs are awful but they can take alot of power and SERIOUSLY shake your ears, especially with EQ.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #70 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bet that skullcandy and especially Bose have all the ability to make a really good sounding headphone, and I honestly wish they would (more options is nice). But audiophiles have labeled these manufacturers as garbage, so they will probably continue to target average consumers.

B&O is one of the only manufacturers that pulls off over-pricing the crap out of customers while still retaining a relatively decent reputation amongst audiophiles (as far as loudspeakers go). But at the same time they actually put out a more respectable and less artificial sound signature.

If you listen to Bose , they have an "engineered" sound that is designed to make any recording sound decent by emphasizing frequencies that the human ear responds well to. They also use waveguides and lots of reflected sound to make things sound more spacious and powerful for the size of the speaker.

Its just a different sound that happens to not appeal to the true audio enthusiast because its not a faithful reproduction of the music. It does NOT sound bad, and you know it.

Stop bashing.

So at the top of your post you say that they dont make a great sounding product then at the end you say it doesnt sound bad? Confused.

Anyways, what is sound but perception. All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. Who is right and who is wrong?

<--16 turning 17 senior in high school, go young-fi =P

Dave

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #71 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell your friend about the Coby CV-200. They are $9 and have rediculous amounts of power in the bass. When I was about 12 (Im now 17) I went through a bass phase and found these things. I can garuntee they have more bass then the skullcandy. The midrange sucks and the highs are awful but they can take alot of power and SERIOUSLY shake your ears, especially with EQ.

I think everyone went through a bass phase when they were 12. I know I did.

Altec Lansing AHP-512's seemed to satisfy my needs back then. After I'd got my MS1's I gave them another listen and promptly butchered them to help improve my MS1's
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #72 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So at the top of your post you say that they dont make a great sounding product then at the end you say it doesnt sound bad? Confused.

Anyways, what is sound but perception. All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. Who is right and who is wrong?

<--16 turning 17 senior in high school, go young-fi =P

Dave

They are not great by any means. But at the same time, its nothing unlistenable at all. Id much rather live with Bose then a pair of Sony MDR-150 for example. And even the MDR-150 isnt too bad.

To most people, the sound has to be absolutely awful in order for people to notice. Bose and skullcandy happen to put out a headphone that sounds "pleasant" to the average consumer but in the audiophile world it just sounds "fake".

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #73 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Altec Lansing AHP-512's seemed to satisfy my needs back then. After I'd got my MS1's I gave them another listen and promptly butchered them to help improve my MS1's
biggrin.gif

Haha yeah, those days were fun while they lasted. Im thinking about getting a pair of those Cobys just for the memories. haha.

When I got my MS-1's, I was completely surprised and mindblown about the sound because I was so used to hearing EQ'd consumer crap.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #74 of 202
I have to agree that if SC backed their prices with a bit more quality, if only in their pricer models, not only would audiophiles have less to complain about, the buyers would be a lot more satisfied. I still don't like them though. Audio equipment is supposed to be black, silver or wooden.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm ashamed to say I have quite a large sub in my car because of this young mentality.

And jeez, I just turned 20, you guys are making me feel old...

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #75 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree that if SC backed their prices with a bit more quality, if only in their pricer models, not only would audiophiles have less to complain about, the buyers would be a lot more satisfied. I still don't like them though. Audio equipment is supposed to be black, silver or wooden.

Then maybe instead of having thread after thread of this embarrassing, immature vitriol and drivel, Head-Fi should contact Skullcandy and try to set them down the path of higher quality audio. Keep the same style headphones, but with better drivers inside, especially the more expensive products.

The lower end products are OK. I've used the Smokin Buds and Ink'd, I like both. Although they could be a bit better in quality, as someone has said that their buds were "defective".

So, ho about it? How about we send an invite to Skullcandy, rather than insults and bashing? This is not the way to make a change and make things better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back