Skullcandy? Seriously???
Jan 27, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #32 of 202
I think the GS-1000's are some of the best looking headphones ever made... yup thats the truth.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #33 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll never understand the whole skullcandy fad. I think 99.9% of them are ugly as hell, so even as a preppy fashion statement they fail.

most fashion statements are anyhow.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #34 of 202
Just get over it!
So many other vendors who produce headphones, so no need to go their way...

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #35 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll never understand the whole skullcandy fad. I think 99.9% of them are ugly as hell, so even as a preppy fashion statement they fail.

What kind of preppy style incorporates camo and pink fur oO.

One must give credit to skullcandy's marketing team for copying Kroc. They did a good job marketing essentially the same product as McD's to youth. So if this "fast-food" headphone sells there is nothing wrong to the rest of us whom stick with wholesome meals.
As a senior in HS I'd have to say, it is largely ignorance and lack of motivation to look for something better that drives that trend. To someone who has not heard anything else nor cares to, they are fine - let alone anyone who isn't motivated to do research.
Also one may look into compression, downloads, and pricepoint for reasons as to why skullcandy took off.
For 20$ and a chance to get into - albeit ignorant - "high-fi" why wouldn't a teen making 8$ an hour bite. Definately not arguing for skullcandys as there are many better headphones at their pricepoint but one cant help but appreciate Ray's marketing success - go Disney wooo!
Cheers,
Dave

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #36 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the sad part, imho, is when you have to listen to, to quote charliex, "teeny boppers" defend their ~$100 skullcandy purchase (did a teacher seriously just use the term "teeny bopper", why couldn't I have had you so many years ago in HS....I'd probably have run off with your portable setup though)

I remember one of the kids in my school (I'm still in HS
frown.gif
) got a pair of skullcandies, and was unbelievably pompus with them on, he also equated the high price tag to high performance.

I usually just try asking them if they know any brands besides sony, bose, and skullcandy if they get arrogant about their "amazing new headphones." They're usually speechless afterwards or say there aren't any other ones. Unfortunately, my school is littered with an overabundance of skull candies and bose users(I think i'm the only audiophile there, as well =|). It's sad though, one of my friends asked me for advice for IEMs, and I recommended ety er6is and a couple other IEMs in that price range. The next week he came in with $300 bose headphones, saying it was the best purchase he ever made, so I didn't really say much after that.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #37 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One must give credit to skullcandy's marketing team for copying Kroc. They did a good job marketing essentially the same product as McD's to youth. So if this "fast-food" headphone sells there is nothing wrong to the rest of us whom stick with wholesome meals.

Well said. The phrase "fast-food" headphone is on point.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #38 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by callmevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got the pink furry Ti skullcandy for the misses~ she and all her friends love it..

I bought this model too, for my wife. I think for people who aren't into getting high-end sound, these are at least fashions alternative.
They have a couple of nice looking phones!Enjoyable for some.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #40 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you were 12 or 13 I'm sure you cared about what was cool with your friends more than the sound quality of your headphones.

Just sayin'.

I didn't have headphones when I was 12 or 13, but I did have a decent JVC shelf system that I currently use for surrounds on my HT (they handle it quite nicely, granted, they will be replaced at some point, but it'll make a nice Zone 2)

as far as the whole "looks cool" or "stands out", if I were to decide to wear them in public, I'm sure my K701's or HD 580's would likely turn heads faster than anything in the Skullcandy lineup, I just can't stand fullsize headphones for portable usage

but I do understand your point, most kids are more interested in fitting in, not being sensible
duggehsmile.png

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #42 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomasdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember one of the kids in my school (I'm still in HS
frown.gif
) got a pair of skullcandies, and was unbelievably pompus with them on, he also equated the high price tag to high performance.

I usually just try asking them if they know any brands besides sony, bose, and skullcandy if they get arrogant about their "amazing new headphones." They're usually speechless afterwards or say there aren't any other ones. Unfortunately, my school is littered with an overabundance of skull candies and bose users(I think i'm the only audiophile there, as well =|). It's sad though, one of my friends asked me for advice for IEMs, and I recommended ety er6is and a couple other IEMs in that price range. The next week he came in with $300 bose headphones, saying it was the best purchase he ever made, so I didn't really say much after that.

Interesting post. You are incredibly thoughtful and well written for a HS student. Well done!

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #43 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanna say I love all you guys.

That is very kind

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #44 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't have headphones when I was 12 or 13, but I did have a decent JVC shelf system that I currently use for surrounds on my HT (they handle it quite nicely, granted, they will be replaced at some point, but it'll make a nice Zone 2)

as far as the whole "looks cool" or "stands out", if I were to decide to wear them in public, I'm sure my K701's or HD 580's would likely turn heads faster than anything in the Skullcandy lineup, I just can't stand fullsize headphones for portable usage

but I do understand your point, most kids are more interested in fitting in, not being sensible
duggehsmile.png

It's sensible to them for sure! If you gave your kid K701 to wear to school I'm sure he'll get beat down for looking like a clown haha!

I was just at HMW today looking at skullcandies, and I gotta admit if I was a teen I'd want them too. So many different colors, so many different designs, it's pretty cool. And they weren't that expensive either. Way better than those Bose posers in their 20s and 30s thinking they're the shiznits when in fact they're just chumps.

Jan 27, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #45 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanna say I love all you guys.

?????
tongue.gif
LOL that's a cool post !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back