Skullcandy Aviators vs. ATH M50
Sep 29, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #31 of 38

Quote:
I wouldn't really play rock on Ultrasones, granted I've only heard the HFI-580.
I've also never played any female vocals through them but I doubt they'd sound good on Ultrasones.

Really 
confused.gif
 A friend of mine who listens exclusively to rock prefers emphasised bass. Interesting, I'll go do some research on cans that are recommended for rock.

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #32 of 38

Quote:
Really 
confused.gif
 A friend of mine who listens exclusively to rock prefers emphasised bass. Interesting, I'll go do some research on cans that are recommended for rock.

Well it depends on what aspect of rock and what type of bands he likes. I like my The Killers with my Grados, but RHCP just sounds better on my HD438 which are bassier than Grados. 

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #33 of 38
I have both cans and prefer the Aviators better when it comes to overall sound quality/clarity. Especially if you're listening to rock/acoustic/alternative. They remind me of grados. They also scale up with a better source and are light and comfortable. However their only cons are that they have little to no isolation and you have to be gentle with them (although lets not forget they come with lifetime warranty should anything happen). On the other hand....

The m50s are built like a tank and they have pretty good isolation. They sound fine with all genres but with rock they tend to annoy me a bit. The cymbals don't sound sound very natural and seem to be a little too in your face especially with the congested soundstage. But that's just my take on it you might not have any qualms about that.

So basically they both sound good but the aviators have the upper hand when it comes to rock and soundstage (versatile with other genres too). But if you need isolation and want something you could just throw in your bag easily, get the m50s. Hope this helps.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #34 of 38

Quote:
I have both cans and prefer the Aviators better when it comes to overall sound quality/clarity. Especially if you're listening to rock/acoustic/alternative. They remind me of grados. They also scale up with a better source and are light and comfortable. However their only cons are that they have little to no isolation and you have to be gentle with them (although lets not forget they come with lifetime warranty should anything happen). On the other hand....

The m50s are built like a tank and they have pretty good isolation. They sound fine with all genres but with rock they tend to annoy me a bit. The cymbals don't sound sound very natural and seem to be a little too in your face especially with the congested soundstage. But that's just my take on it you might not have any qualms about that.
So basically they both sound good but the aviators have the upper hand when it comes to rock and soundstage (versatile with other genres too). But if you need isolation and want something you could just throw in your bag easily, get the m50s. Hope this helps.

Well said, I agree the Aviators are definetly better for rock

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #35 of 38

Quote:

Cool. Thanks for the opinions. This Wired article (the last part where the mention the M50s) was getting to me: http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/03/skullcandy-aviators/

But maybe they aren't the best reviewers and I'll probably pick up the aviators. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #37 of 38
Yeah, I currently own the Aviators and have for just a few weeks. But I must say that I am seriously loving them. And for acoustic/rock music, the Aviators definitely trump the M50's. The only thing the M50's apparently have on the Aviators is a more present bass, but the Aviators are clearer and have better highs and mids, which are frequencies associated with acoustic and rock music. So yeah, if that's the stuff you'll be listening to, grab the Aviators. And don't worry about build quality; Skullcandy has a free lifetime warranty.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #38 of 38
This thread is an odd read, but good info.  I always thought the M50s were one of the best all arounders..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back