Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Apr 9, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #1,126 of 1,671
so the up vote does nothing more than put your post on the right of the front page(never noticed it before right now)? I'm so disappointed, I was expecting some secret entrance to a mysterious "nice guy secret section" when you reach 1000 up-votes.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #1,127 of 1,671
  so the up vote does nothing more than put your post on the right of the front page(never noticed it before right now)? I'm so disappointed, I was expecting some secret entrance to a mysterious "nice guy secret section" when you reach 1000 up-votes.

I hear you get your UTF-8 posts upsampled to UTF-16.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #1,128 of 1,671

You are so right. I would add "either enough power for typical non portable headphones or a line out" to your list of must-have requirements. My FiiO X3 meets both and has low output impedance. Much better and cheaper than Pono. If it only would run Rockbox...

Yeah, a lack of line out is always a facepalm, especially on any "full-size" model (I can forgive a Nano for cutting corners).

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,129 of 1,671

How about following the guidelines I carefully wrote so you know how to deal with these things in the most effective way, so that threads don't get locked?

You're obviously scanning this thread and found what bigshot did egregious enough to call him out for what's basically a joke. Why not say something to people who are heading popular threads down the path of locking?

No. Bigshot's post was reported by a member. The posts in the thread that was locked were reported. When a bunch of regular posters in a large thread are all trashing it, the thread becomes effectively worthless and is better restarted. 

Conspiring to troll (which is what it amounts to) was considered obnoxious and intolerable from as far back in 1994 when I started in online communities. It is just as obnoxious and intolerable now. It sure as hell does not promote science, but does exactly the opposite.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #1,130 of 1,671

No. Bigshot's post was reported by a member. The posts in the thread that was locked were reported. When a bunch of regular posters in a large thread are all trashing it, the thread becomes effectively worthless and is better restarted. 

Conspiring to troll (which is what it amounts to) was considered obnoxious and intolerable from as far back in 1994 when I started in online communities. It is just as obnoxious and intolerable now. It sure as hell does not promote science, but does exactly the opposite.

I've been on the internet that long too, and bouts of trollbaiting are just par for the course. After all, the responses in the thread were to the repeated attempts to legitimize CD mats, which is another thing that doesn't serve science. But fair enough that threads are sometimes better restarted, even if "telling pseudo-science guy to can it" wasn't an option that was attempted. Guess it's time to play narc more often.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,131 of 1,671
I wish we could do something about our troll.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #1,132 of 1,671
  I wish we could do something about our troll.

I guess we could snitch.. sorry, "report" him for his one-man conspiracy to troll ?

@ Currawong :
there is a limit to how many times one can stand to tell people that water is wet without them listening, at all -
That's usually the point where you just throw a big bucket of water in their face and let them experience it instead ..

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,133 of 1,671
No point reporting. Better to deal with it individually and collectively.

Another troll has joined in and is trying to throw out bait now. It won't work with me. I think the best way to approach it is with humor. When someone is that wrong and that insistent on remaining wrong, what else can you do but chuckle?

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,134 of 1,671

Another troll has joined in and is trying to throw out bait now. It won't work with me. I think the best way to approach it is with humor. When someone is that wrong and that insistent on remaining wrong, what else can you do but chuckle?

Well, I would definitely not appoint you to be the judge of who is a troll and who is not. Just a few weeks ago, you accused those of us who highlighted your subjectivist beliefs about home theater setup of trolling. Just because someone presents alternative points of view to what you believe does not necessarily make them a troll.

Who is a troll and who is not is typically best left to the mods, not some self appointed group in a sub forum area. In my experience, when groups on a forum begin to collectively feel empowered to decide who is a troll and who is not, they often use it to unfairly enforce their beliefs about the subject matter by trying to silence alternative opinions. And IMO, while the person being complained about that is posting in the myths thread might be misguided, off topic, not very (or at all) scientific about his reasoning, overly enthusiastic about his beliefs, and overly loquacious about them, that doesn't necessarily make him a troll. Just makes it annoying. I don't believe being annoying is itself necessarily a violation of the posting guidelines. But repeatedly labeling someone a troll would seem to be.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,135 of 1,671

I find judicious use of the "block member" function to be very effective.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,136 of 1,671
Which DAP has the best objective line out measurements. Sorry to ask again, in this thread, but none of the other threads seem accurate or technically reliable enough....

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,137 of 1,671
Yes, but you WERE trolling. You kept hammering away on a simple disagreement about how good "good enough" is, and kept bringing it up in unrelated threads.

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,138 of 1,671
Yes, but you WERE trolling. You kept hammering away on a simple disagreement and kept bringing it up in unrelated threads.

You made claims about HT configuration and setup that run counter to accepted best practices based on audio science, claims without evidence other than subjective evaluation (we can discuss those claims again if you would like to start a new thread). Myself and others countered them. That's one of the purposes of this forum, isn't it? To discuss subjectivists claims. And it wasn't just me that you accused of trolling. I'd be glad to find evidence of that if you really want to go there.

But thank you for acknowledging that you feel empowered to silence discussion that you don't like by accusing people of trolling. This illustrates my point. Best to let the mods determine that, rather than having a group decide who to call troll or not.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,139 of 1,671
In the AkG K3003 thread, I asked if they were worth the £700 Amazon are asking. A guy replied that they were stunningly musical earphones and although the treble could sometimes be harsh, that could be solved by turning down the volume briefly....

Is it just me or is that pure comedy?

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #1,140 of 1,671
In the AkG K3003 thread, I asked if they were worth the £700 Amazon are asking. A guy replied that they were stunningly musical earphones and although the treble could sometimes be harsh, that could be solved by turning down the volume briefly....

Is it just me or is that pure comedy?

Well I use a multiband compressor to "turn down the volume" on selected frequencies "briefly" on all my headphones to deal with sibilance, which I believe is an inevitable part of the signature of a well-tuned pair of headphones or headphones / EQ combo :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back