Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Apr 8, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #1,111 of 1,671
Just get an iPod and headphones that don't require amping. That's what I did. It really isn't difficult to find things that sound good. People make choosing a player for your pocket into some sort of algebra equation.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,112 of 1,671
Here's what I want in a DAP:
.low output impedance
.enough power for IEMs and typical portable headphones
.crossfeed
.EQ
.****loads of storage space (128G is not a lot of storage 
biggrin.gif
)
.good battery

Why is this so hard? Consider the Pono: it's missing 4 of those. Sure it's not too pricey a DAP, but 4 strikes from a "high-end" product? So what happens instead, evidently, is you buy hardware that works and then hack software like Rockbox onto it if you can. Lame.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #1,113 of 1,671
.low output impedance
.crossfeed
.EQ
biggrin.gif
)
.good battery

Why is this so hard? Consider the Pono: it's missing 4 of those. Sure it's not too pricey a DAP, but 4 strikes from a "high-end" product? So what happens instead, evidently, is you buy hardware that works and then hack software like Rockbox onto it if you can. Lame.

and that's why I still end up with several DAPs ^_^. because the one with battery doesn't have impedance or eq, the one with EQ doesn't have battery...
 I hate ipods(the all apple idea in fact), but they're objectively pretty good stuff. (apple, the proof that I'm a subjective fool!)

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #1,114 of 1,671
.low output impedance
.crossfeed
.EQ
.****loads of storage space (128G is not a lot of storage :D )
.good battery

Altmann Tera player.

lol
Sandisk offers some great value daps. Loaded with Rockbox+128 gb uSD, you have lots of memory, excellent eq, many crossfeed settings and 1 ohm output imp.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #1,115 of 1,671
What is a portable amp that is most like the O2, no colouration and excellent measurements? Ironically I can't find any objective reviews or info on head fi except here!

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,116 of 1,671
What is a portable amp that is most like the O2, no colouration and excellent measurements? Ironically I can't find any objective reviews or info on head fi except here!

many amps have measurements that should lead to no coloration. the question is what will you drive with it? something like a UHA6S mkII, or a C5 will be good for portable headphones but might not for home stuff. and both have reported and measured transparent sound. well the 6S you can change the op amp so you can most likely part ways with transparency in some ways, but nobody forces you to ^_^.
if you need a powerhouse, I believe the hifim8 delivers, but I'm sure there are a lot of others,my knowledge is limited and most of the amps I've tried weren't really transparent. with the exception of the headamp pico(not slim) it sounded great and transparent, and I believe measured nicely too but don't remember where I've seen measurements. but with sensitive IEMs it could hiss slightly and have channel imbalance. but with not too sensitive stuff, it sounded great. so it's again a matter of what you'll use as headphone/IEM.
maybe some of the latest FIIO amps? didn't hear or read much about them so I don't know.

I start to feel like I'm endorsing those guys, when it's just that they're the only ones where I've seen measurements.
I bet ClieOS has a few ideas about good transparent amps.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #1,117 of 1,671
  Just get an iPod and headphones that don't require amping. That's what I did. It really isn't difficult to find things that sound good. People make choosing a player for your pocket into some sort of algebra equation.

Algebra is much more straightforward than audiophile magic. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #1,118 of 1,671

FiiO E12 is a great affordable portable amp, which can drive anything from not too sensitive IEMs to reasonably efficient full-size headphones. It even comes with a quite usable crossed. IIRC you can look up measurements on innerfidelity.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #1,119 of 1,671
.low output impedance
.crossfeed
.EQ
biggrin.gif
)
.good battery

You are so right. I would add "either enough power for typical non portable headphones or a line out" to your list of must-have requirements. My FiiO X3 meets both and has low output impedance. Much better and cheaper than Pono. If it only would run Rockbox...

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #1,120 of 1,671

FiiO E12 is a great affordable portable amp, which can drive anything from not too sensitive IEMs to reasonably efficient full-size headphones. It even comes with a quite usable crossed. IIRC you can look up measurements on innerfidelity.

How about for the HD800?

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #1,122 of 1,671
  I have a new game for us to play. When someone trolls, the first person to see it just hits quote and puts the single word "Wrong" under it. Then we all click the thumbs up button and push Add to Reputation on their refutation. That way, we won't get into stupid discussions of obviously wrong headed ideas that spiral on forever derailing otherwise useful threads. If you want to play this game with me, don't reply here, just click the thumbs up on this post.

Wrong.

Intentionally abusing the reputation system (it is connected with the stats linked on the front page of the site) has resulted in members being banned. This is a very good example of the attitude that we don't want on Head-Fi. This isn't a place to conspire to be disrespectful to people.

The correct method to deal with trolling is a: ignore it (don't reply) and b: report it.

http://head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

And yes, your post has been deleted so that the reputation on it will be removed.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,123 of 1,671

Wrong.

Intentionally abusing the reputation system (it is connected with the stats linked on the front page of the site) has resulted in members being banned. This is a very good example of the attitude that we don't want on Head-Fi. This isn't a place to conspire to be disrespectful to people.

The correct method to deal with trolling is a: ignore it (don't reply) and b: report it.

And yes, your post has been deleted so that the reputation on it will be removed.

How about dealing with people locking threads on 24bits by trolling it with CD mat discussions?

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #1,124 of 1,671

Wrong.

How about dealing with people locking threads on 24bits by trolling it with CD mat discussions?

How about following the guidelines I carefully wrote so you know how to deal with these things in the most effective way, so that threads don't get locked?

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,125 of 1,671

How about following the guidelines I carefully wrote so you know how to deal with these things in the most effective way, so that threads don't get locked?

You're obviously scanning this thread and found what bigshot did egregious enough to call him out for what's basically a joke. Why not say something to people who are heading popular threads down the path of locking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back