SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 2, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #46 of 444
Okay mod completed. Smooths out the treble peak with out effecting the resolution. Took about 15 minutes including messaging the creator to verify i had done it right. I bought this cotton sheet from Amazon: Dynarex Cotton Roll – Non-Sterile, Soft and Absorbent Cotton in an Easy to Tear & Use Roll, 1-pound, 12” x 56", White, 1 - Dynarex Cotton Roll - $12.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J4OITME

1. Take off pads.
20230215_144612.jpg
2. Remove these four screws
20230215_150457.jpg
3. Cut out cotton in the shape of the pad. 20230215_150547.jpg
4. Trim some cotton off to until it fits. 20230215_145156.jpg5. Fluff it up a bit so it fills the space.
20230215_150310.jpg
6. Don't rip out the wires in the process.
20230215_144803.jpg
7. Reassemble and repeat on other side.

IMG_4606.jpgIMG_4604.jpg

This is my modification: I used two layers of the sterile cotton pads.

Result is amazing! It has excellent reduction in the peaks and make it very enjoyable. In the past I have to use a suede pad but the suede pad also kills the bass and sound stage a bit.

Quick thought: In all the Fostex mods of wooden cup, these cotton / dampening materials are usually there. Maybe it is necessary (just like the speakers?). I haven't seen the teardown of ZMF headphone though.

Question: Do you know how thick the cotton should be? I saw the Dynatex is thinker.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #47 of 444
IMG_4606.jpgIMG_4604.jpg

This is my modification: I used two layers of the sterile cotton pads.

Result is amazing! It has excellent reduction in the peaks and make it very enjoyable. In the past I have to use a suede pad but the suede pad also kills the bass and sound stage a bit.

Quick thought: In all the Fostex mods of wooden cup, these cotton / dampening materials are usually there. Maybe it is necessary (just like the speakers?). I haven't seen the teardown of ZMF headphone though.

Question: Do you know how thick the cotton should be? I saw the Dynatex is thinker.

I did some further experiments. It seems the cotton layer cannot be too thick, e.g.,. must leave some dome size room between the drive and the cotton. Also it cannot be too thin, e.g., 1 layer of the "cotton pad" that you can buy from CVS would not work.

For a poor man solution, I tear a cotton ball carefully to a thin round shape, and then put a thin sterile medical cotton pad (shown in my previous msg). This seems quite nice but again ymmv.

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #48 of 444
Tried my amps over the course of the last 2 weeks with the Starry Night. My source is the RME ADI-2 DAC with the volume fixed at -12 dBr, auto reference level.

xDuoo TA-20
Needs to show it's teeth. comfortable listening levels start at 65. No distortion.

Violectric V280
Gain is set to the lowest possible and still has more than enough room to spare, volume wise. Tonality is a bit more sterile compared to the TA-20, but is more refined and has a wider soundstage. Volume is at or about the 2 hour mark.

Audio-gd Master 19
Volume at H48, only starting to show it's muscles. Very organic and wide. Ties with the Violectric for technical performance.

I am using a slight EQ on these so they better match my preference: low shelf 80hz q0.9 5dB high shelf 6.5khz q0.7 -1.5db

Mar 6, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #49 of 444
I bought these, I forget when, but I've been having quite a bit of fun with them. Definitely did the fixes seen in here so here's my quick experience with them even though it's hard for me to describe I'll do my best for anyone looking for information. My DAC is the Dangerous Convert-2. No EQ just the cotton fixes.

Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amp
Pretty okay, I had to turn the dial up to about 3 - 5 to get adequate volume (using 5751 Tubes, 12AX7 might be better for this). Warm and definitely widens that sound stage, super impressive from a closed back.

Singxer SA-1
This one was a surprise as it brought in a little bit of body to the sound. Having it on high gain has been giving it a neutral/warm tone to it, everything else seemed a bit more detailed but also kinda well....neutral.

Liquid Platinum
This is a winner for these headphones. Lot's of power came right to the headphones and I was surprised by the depth and separation it brought to these headphones! Gives the headphones a bit more slam, although not much but it's noticeable. Clean vocals and great reverb. Definitely love this combo. I think the only think it lacks it the bass and I really want it to dig deeper but it just won't :frowning2:

Schiit Gjallarhorn
The minute I saw these little amps go on sale I bought one because I wanted to start getting into speakers and I figured this would be a good time to try headphones straight into the amps. YES....THIS is what I wanted from the LP but it amplifies (ha) the characteristics I loved. There's actually some bass (I wish it dug deeper lol just preference). This one was plug straight into the amp and used the DC2 output trim to adjust volume. Really awesome.

Anyways, that's all I got. I have many headphones but for some reason keep coming back to these even though I want it to dig deeper in the bass. Maybe I'm just being lazy and I don't want to switch headphones? But I really like these, especially with a speaker amp.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #52 of 444
Here is the Starry-Franken-Night

I used (temporarily) the headband of a vintage headphone, swapped the pads to Dekoni TH-900 sheepskin pads (less sweaty) and am using a 16core balanced OCC cable

Not the best looking monster I ever created but it does improve on the overall comfort for me. No more auto-clicking headband!
Not convinced about the pads. Have the feeling the Dekoni pads are a bit more treble but I do prefer sheepskin over pleather for longer listening sessions.
Getting a pair of these to swap to when they arrive

Got the new suspension headstrap and here it is with the Starry cups:
20230310_210415.jpg

The comfort is improved vs the stock headband (for me at least)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #53 of 444
did it
audeze style headband suit this well , it help provide some clamp force

Attachments

• IMG_20230315_223813.jpg
    IMG_20230315_223813.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230315_223831.jpg
    IMG_20230315_223831.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #54 of 444
Always fascinating how different perceptions are when the discussionm comes to bass quality. Imo the Starry Night does very well in this regard, it reaches deep and has excellent control and texture. Nothing for fans of meaty mid bass though.

Mar 17, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #55 of 444
I bought these, I forget when, but I've been having quite a bit of fun with them. Definitely did the fixes seen in here so here's my quick experience with them even though it's hard for me to describe I'll do my best for anyone looking for information. My DAC is the Dangerous Convert-2. No EQ just the cotton fixes.

Quicksilver Audio Headphone Amp
Pretty okay, I had to turn the dial up to about 3 - 5 to get adequate volume (using 5751 Tubes, 12AX7 might be better for this). Warm and definitely widens that sound stage, super impressive from a closed back.

Singxer SA-1
This one was a surprise as it brought in a little bit of body to the sound. Having it on high gain has been giving it a neutral/warm tone to it, everything else seemed a bit more detailed but also kinda well....neutral.

Liquid Platinum
This is a winner for these headphones. Lot's of power came right to the headphones and I was surprised by the depth and separation it brought to these headphones! Gives the headphones a bit more slam, although not much but it's noticeable. Clean vocals and great reverb. Definitely love this combo. I think the only think it lacks it the bass and I really want it to dig deeper but it just won't :frowning2:

Schiit Gjallarhorn
The minute I saw these little amps go on sale I bought one because I wanted to start getting into speakers and I figured this would be a good time to try headphones straight into the amps. YES....THIS is what I wanted from the LP but it amplifies (ha) the characteristics I loved. There's actually some bass (I wish it dug deeper lol just preference). This one was plug straight into the amp and used the DC2 output trim to adjust volume. Really awesome.

Anyways, that's all I got. I have many headphones but for some reason keep coming back to these even though I want it to dig deeper in the bass. Maybe I'm just being lazy and I don't want to switch headphones? But I really like these, especially with a speaker amp.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have my Hifiman Arya SE and several other headphones sitting idle on my desk for the past month since I started listening to music through SN. Though I have yet to try them powered by a speaker amp, I have been enjoying them hooked up to a Burson Soloist 3XP /w supercharger & a Bifrost 2/64. I did try them with some cheaper options since I also have a Asgard 3, and a Topping L70 on my desk. The L70 does do a decent job for the money. The Asgard 3 is okay, yet noticeably lacking in sound stage & detail. I have been wondering how they sound with the Schiit Gjallarhorn (thanks for the info), and I will be keeping an eye out for B-Stock on Schiit.com to eventually add to my desk setup.

Mar 22, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #56 of 444
SN+ DCA Voce pads is fire!

Attachments

• IMG_20230323_104406.jpg
    IMG_20230323_104406.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
May 8, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #58 of 444
May 8, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #59 of 444
Just bought a set of the green ones. Going to give this brand a try. Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back