Singxer SU-1
Mar 13, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #46 of 129
Hi Bimmer100,
Interesting your job on the SU1.

My experience on a Breeze DU-U8 USB interface is pretty much the same : nice improvement when you replace the internal PS by a more stable PS.
But the really BIG improvement is to act on the PS of the clocks that are on the PCB. This tweak leads to a major up on sound precision, & 3D effect.
Do you plan to do such a tweak ?

If no, at least you gave me the idea to buy a SU-1 to do the same I did on my Breeze !
Rgds

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #47 of 129
The SU-1 has Crystek CCHD-575/957 series clocks. I seem to recall those being quality parts.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #48 of 129
  Hi Bimmer100,
Interesting your job on the SU1.

My experience on a Breeze DU-U8 USB interface is pretty much the same : nice improvement when you replace the internal PS by a more stable PS.
But the really BIG improvement is to act on the PS of the clocks that are on the PCB. This tweak leads to a major up on sound precision, & 3D effect.
Do you plan to do such a tweak ?

If no, at least you gave me the idea to buy a SU-1 to do the same I did on my Breeze !
Rgds

There is two kind of power Supply on the Singxer Su1. There is what is called the "dirty side" powered by the 5V usb in and the "clean side" powered by the PS of the SU1. The clocks are on the clean side and are powered thanks to the internal PS where Kitsune have made improvments.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #49 of 129
Mine comes in on Thursday. I'll be connecting it to a Sonore microrendu and then using AES to my Yggdrasil.

I've had my mR for a few weeks now, but I'm waiting for my LPS-1 to arrive so I can use it, as well as my KTE SU1.
I'll be using JRiver MC21. Have you tried using either just the mR or the SU1 and finally both together? 
If so, any impressions on all 3 ways? Thanks.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #51 of 129
  There is two kind of power Supply on the Singxer Su1. There is what is called the "dirty side" powered by the 5V usb in and the "clean side" powered by the PS of the SU1. The clocks are on the clean side and are powered thanks to the internal PS where Kitsune have made improvments.

Kitsune PS brings clean 5V, that's fine, I agree with that.
But, the clocks works at 3.3V, not 5V.
You can have clean 5V, but then you need to go thru a regulator to get the 3.3V for the clocks. Clearly, if you stand that "providing clean 5V" is fine for the 3.3V clock : you're wrong.
That's what I experimented on my interface.
What I suggest is :
- change the 5V to 3.3V regulator on the PCB with a low noise one
- or provide clean 3.3V from an external PS, directly to the clocks.

Singxer chose Crytek clocks (very good choice, of course), but clean power to clocks brings more sound improvement than "very good clocks".
Just based on my experiments.
Rgds

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #52 of 129
No no you are right i didn't get it on your initial post because i'm not a tech but yes obviously a good regulator in order to get a clean 3.3V seems mandatory. What is the model currently used in the Singxer ? Will be cool to hear the words of bimmer100 on it also.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #53 of 129
As an MOT I can't really comment too much on this forum.

The stock Su1 has about 150uV of output noise, approx 70db PSRR (power supply rejection ratio and about 32mV line regulation.

Our KTE SU1 is at approx 3uV output noise, and approx 125db PSRR and about 1.8mV line regulation.

Thanks for sharing with us. Could you tell which exactly voltage regulator you used instead of original one?

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #55 of 129
No no you are right i didn't get it on your initial post because i'm not a tech but yes obviously a good regulator in order to get a clean 3.3V seems mandatory. What is the model currently used in the Singxer ? Will be cool to hear the words of bimmer100 on it also.

Honestly I don't know what regulator is used in the SU1... maybe it is already a very good one, and the mod I propose would bring a tiny or no improvement.
I know people that are very happy with the SU1 after having other good USB interfaces like the Breeze (but no modded one). I think I'll buy a SU1 to stop talking about theory about this interface, to copy/paste what I did with the Breeze :)
Rgds

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #56 of 129
  Honestly I don't know what regulator is used in the SU1... maybe it is already a very good one,

No is not, look at the data provided by bimmer100. 150uV it's a crap.

I replaced capacitors myself, and it improves SQ significant. All the modes are wort to do it.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #57 of 129
Listening to the KTE SU-1 now in conjunction with the KTE Spring DAC L3. Impressed with what I'm hearing over the USB alone from the KTE DAC. Will definitely included it's affects in my review of the DAC...but so far so good!

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #58 of 129
The su-1 stock regulator is LM2940CT-5 according to someone on computer audiophile.  I think I figured out what regulator Bimmer is using but I don't want him to get mad at me for revealing his secrets because he's not done building my KTE-SU1 :p

it rhymes with.. tacos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back