Singxer SU-1
Feb 10, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 129
The sound is a nice improvement. It needs breaking in and I notice the more break in each listening session sounds better and more relaxed.

This is the second time I've read this feedback on SU-1 burn in. Apparently they do get better with a little time.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #17 of 129
  hi,
did someone compared this SU-1 with the F-1 when the F-1 is externally powered (not thru USB cable) ?
if yes, is the difference huge or very light ?
thanks

i just bought the f-1 and inserted between my regen (w/lps-1) and my gumby.  initial impressions are very positive -- darker, richer, more depth -- vs. usb into the gumby.  i got the full, finished-product so there are no power options (only thru usb).  if you go the board/diy route, that changes your options (and your effort).

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #18 of 129
I have been told that Singxer does not recommend I2S / HDMI cables longer that .5 meters. I find this limitation comical. Has anyone actually run into a problem using 1 or 2 meter cables from their SU-1?

0.5 m for I2S interface is very long.
I2S was developed for very short internal distances between a transport and DAC many years ago. For example in CD player.
So there's no I2S standard

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #19 of 129

i just bought the f-1 and inserted between my regen (w/lps-1) and my gumby.  initial impressions are very positive -- darker, richer, more depth -- vs. usb into the gumby.  i got the full, finished-product so there are no power options (only thru usb).  if you go the board/diy route, that changes your options (and your effort).

It doesn't matter if you have F-1 as a full, finished-product or just a board. The only possibility to power it separately is to use USB LPS and split USB cable like this 
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=46

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #20 of 129

It doesn't matter if you have F-1 as a full, finished-product or just a board. The only possibility to power it separately is to use USB LPS and split USB cable like this 
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=46

true -- for some reason didn't think of that . . . .  i had the regen and lps-1 already, so the f-1 is getting clean power!

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 129
  0.5 m for I2S interface is very long.
I2S was developed for very short internal distances between a transport and DAC many years ago. For example in CD player.
So there's no I2S standard

I guess my gripe with this is two-fold:
(1) If a device like the SU-1 can push an I2S signal .5M, I can't see how an extra 1.6 feet of QUALITY cabling is going to create so so much additional resistance as to cause performance problems.

(2) I didn't find anything on the Singxer, Kitsune or ShenzhenAudio websites that identify this limitation.  Nor is it covered in the documentation. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #22 of 129
  I guess my gripe with this is two-fold:
(1) If a device like the SU-1 can push an I2S signal .5M, I can't see how an extra 1.6 feet of QUALITY cabling is going to create so so much additional resistance as to cause performance problems.

(2) I didn't find anything on the Singxer, Kitsune or ShenzhenAudio websites that identify this limitation.  Nor is it covered in the documentation. 

Hi, I have not tried a longer cable with my SU-1 (currently using 0.3M).. but previously with my Tanly DDC, I was able to use a 1M WW Starlight HDMI with no problems, and could not immediately discern any difference with the SQ vs. 0.3M (same cable).
IIRC, when I checked this a while ago, companies like Pink Faun and PS Audio sell/sold HDMI i2S cable$ at 1M length.
Also if I understand correctly, HDMI i2S uses transmitters/receivers which helps allow somewhat longer lengths than the RJ45 (SE) i2S which is very sensitive to cable length.

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #23 of 129
That doesn't surprise me. I2S signals are traditionally used for very short internal signal transfer, such as digital receiver to DAC chip. Hence the name "Inter-IC Sound".

The general consensus is that jitter and other issues are problematic when I2S is used "outside the box" due to lack of an embedded bit clock. Obviously some designers feel differently, which is why we have the option on a few devices. Whether or not it sounds better than AES or SPDIF is debatable, but I would not blame Singxer for an inherent limitation of the transmission method. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #24 of 129
  I would not blame Singxer for an inherent limitation of the transmission method. 

As mentiond before, my complaint is that the transmission limitation is not clearly disclosed to buyers or owners.  As a newcomer to I2S gear it was something of surprise to learn that .5M is consider a long run.  I am hoping that by sharing it here other SU-1 buyers will be better informed than I was.  

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #25 of 129
I want to ask my fellow Singxer SU-1 owners here on Head-Fi what USB purifying devices, if any, they "daisy chain" in front of their SU-1.
It is my understanding that the SU-1 doesn't provide features such as galvanic isolation on its USB input.  Therefore many users still use an Intona, USB Regen, etc "in front" of their Singxer USB bridge.  
I really wish that the Singxer SU-1 was an "all in one" USB solution.  

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #26 of 129
  I want to ask my fellow Singxer SU-1 owners here on Head-Fi what USB purifying devices, if any, they "daisy chain" in front of their SU-1.
It is my understanding that the SU-1 doesn't provide features such as galvanic isolation on its USB input.  Therefore many users still use an Intona, USB Regen, etc "in front" of their Singxer USB bridge.  
I really wish that the Singxer SU-1 was an "all in one" USB solution.  

SU-1 has some kind of isolation. Read these:
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxersu1black/
http://www.head-fi.org/products/singxer-su-1-usb-bridge/reviews/16649

Because SU-1 always need +5v on USB, you can power USB separately via split USB cable (or device that do the same like regen).
If there'll be any benefits...as always depends on your stuff :)

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #27 of 129
  As mentiond before, my complaint is that the transmission limitation is not clearly disclosed to buyers or owners.  As a newcomer to I2S gear it was something of surprise to learn that .5M is consider a long run.  I am hoping that by sharing it here other SU-1 buyers will be better informed than I was.  

There is not clearly mentioned that USB, HDMI, TOSLINK cable cannot run 100 meters. But for example ethernet cable can :)
I2S may work longer than 0.5m or may not. Depends on many factors

For example here are recommended Kitsune i2s-hdmi cables:
https://kitsunehifi.com/product-category/audio-gear/cables-and-adapters/i2s-hdmi/

As depicted earlier i2s is not a standard connection, every company can have its own I2S standard.
It's just current trend, dedicated for real enthusiasts. Who know what is their DAC i2s pineout and for sure know i2s limitations.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #28 of 129
I'm running a PC via USB to my Gustard X20 and am getting computer noise in the background (only audible in between tracks or on quiet tracks). Will the Singxer eliminate this? 

Also, Singxer told me via email that they will have firmware to support DSD512 in the next couple months.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #29 of 129
  I'm running a PC via USB to my Gustard X20 and am getting computer noise in the background (only audible in between tracks or on quiet tracks). Will the Singxer eliminate this? 

Also, Singxer told me via email that they will have firmware to support DSD512 in the next couple months.

could have a ground loop -- make sure pc and x20 are plugged into the same circuit or same power strip.  also could be a bad usb cable -- i'd try switching it out.  finally, have you tried another usb port?

bottom line is that you've got an issue that won't go away by adding the su-1.  it may mask the problem, but it'll still be there . . .

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #30 of 129
Both plugged into same power strip. It's not a hum. It comes and goes with the PCs exertions.
Switched cords, but both are relatively cheap. I ordered a more robust one. We'll see. I also tried the ifi iPurifier, and that didn't make a difference.

Not happy.

(I'm returning the MoBo. Hopefully that's the culprit.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back