Mar 24, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #123 of 869
I've had:
Sewell Silverback S6 0.5FT
WireWorld Silver Starlight 7 0.5M
WireWorld Starlight 7 0.5M
WireWorld Ultraviolet 0.3M
Monoprice Commercial 1FT
Kordz LUX & EVX

I sold the cheaper cables for peace of mind and ended up having only the Ultraviolet & Starlight. I did a comparison between the two and found them to perform very similar in i2S transmission.

I highly recommend it.
http://www.apolloa-v.com/50-off-sale-apollo-av-lightning-v2-hdmi-5-silver-plated-ofc-v1-4-high-speed-with-ethernet/

Just trying to save everyone some money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you so much for this!  Seems you are spending more time on the toilet??  :) Would you say the AV sounds as good as the Sewell or better?  If you had not sold the Sewell would you still recommend this?  I am expecting an S6 cable soon and am wondering if I should get the AV as well to compare.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #124 of 869
My new Yggy has been running less than 72 hours out of my SSD Mac mini.   Nothing but an AQ jitterbug between the two.  Really checking out that Singxer SU-1 though.   Does it need to be ordered with anything different to work with the Yggy?   Of course they are selling them on Amazon ...and they have a $180 option to get tech assistance.   I can't think it would be that tough seeing as how the MAC recognizes it without the need for extra drivers....

My MAC has a outboard LPS and delivers inky black silence when HP listening.   Would I benefit from having an outboard PS for the Singxer?

Really don't want to modify the converter box if I don't have to...I want to run the AES connection into the Yggy...

Love that there is a separate thread for the popular model!

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #125 of 869

My MAC has a outboard LPS and delivers inky black silence when HP listening.   Would I benefit from having an outboard PS for the Singxer?

I am bypassing the AC input and running the Singxer and the VBUS from a 5V battery.  I wouldnt say the difference is night and day but definitely am improvement nonetheless.  I am waiting on an LPS-1 to see if I can improve on the sound versus the simple battery.  That being said, I think the SU-1 power supply is pretty good as is.  I would happy with it as is but of course, being an audiophile I am obligated to tweak and spends ridiculous amounts of money to get tiny improvements.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #126 of 869
    That being said, I think the SU-1 power supply is pretty good as is.  I would happy with it as is but of course, being an audiophile I am obligated to tweak and spends ridiculous amounts of money to get tiny improvements.

Well said! :D

I ordered voltage regulator and I'm gonna replace next week.

My set of capacitors is different then Kitsune version. I didn't like sound when all of them are Nichicon Fine Gold. And also not all should be 470uF. I found my way of "perfect sound". But still experimenting with caps nearby xmos cheap. I have favorite but maybe there is better one..

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #127 of 869
  I am bypassing the AC input and running the Singxer and the VBUS from a 5V battery.  I wouldnt say the difference is night and day but definitely am improvement nonetheless.  I am waiting on an LPS-1 to see if I can improve on the sound versus the simple battery.  That being said, I think the SU-1 power supply is pretty good as is.  I would happy with it as is but of course, being an audiophile I am obligated to tweak and spends ridiculous amounts of money to get tiny improvements.

Holy Smokes Tboooe,

It's bad enough going down USB converter boxes rabbit hole...now you are talking about modding the SU-!'s PS?   Can you buy them set up that way?   If I had the smarts of a circuit design, because of my involvement in Flying RC electric airplanes, I think a Lithium Battery Linear PS would wrk great because they are so reliable and easily charged.

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #129 of 869

Holy Smokes Tboooe,

It's bad enough going down USB converter boxes rabbit hole...now you are talking about modding the SU-!'s PS?   Can you buy them set up that way?   If I had the smarts of a circuit design, because of my involvement in Flying RC electric airplanes, I think a Lithium Battery Linear PS would wrk great because they are so reliable and easily charged.

HA HA!  Rabbit hole indeed.  Bypassing the internal SU-1 power supply is actually very easy.  I am not that smart!  The hardest part was sourcing the right connector for the SU-1 circuit board.  I finally found it on ebay.  Once I made sure the polarity was correct and I am supplying 5vdc, it was easy.  I ended up using a Teknet mobile phone battery charger.  

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #130 of 869
Thank you so much for this!  Seems you are spending more time on the toilet??  :) Would you say the AV sounds as good as the Sewell or better?  If you had not sold the Sewell would you still recommend this?  I am expecting an S6 cable soon and am wondering if I should get the AV as well to compare.

The Sewell Silverback S6 in 0.5FT should perform as good as any longer high end cable due to its sheer super short length benefit.

However if you compare the two in the same longer length, the Sewell S6 won't be as good as its only a conventional design.

However if you want a cable that fits properly in your setup at a longer length, the Apollo Lightning V2 is the one to get.

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #131 of 869
The Sewell Silverback S6 in 0.5FT should perform as good as any longer high end cable due to its sheer super short length benefits, but quality wise, its not as good as the higher ended ones since its a conventional design.

However if you want a cable that fits properly in your setup at a longer length, the Apollo Lightning V2.

Is the Apollo not a conventional design? Also what do you mean by conventional?

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #132 of 869
Is the Apollo not a conventional design? Also what do you mean by conventional?

No hehe. The Apollo AV Lightning V2 and WireWorld utilize a flat design. It core wires (data & clocks) are better separated, isolated, and shielded. It's not close to other bundled wires as with conventional design, so suffers less from issues that normally can affect the jitter within the cable (crosstalk, impedance, signal attentuation, etc).

For i2S you'll want a flat design. The only reason why I recommended the Sewell Silverback S6 so much was because it's a decent conventional design in 0.5FT, which works good for i2S as the shorter the length the better. But for those who doesn't want their Singxer SU-1 directly sitting on top of their DAC, then for longer lengths I recommend the higher quality Apollo AV Lightning V2. To me, even at long lengths, due to its better build design, it still manages to perform as well as a 0.5FT good conventional design cable.

If you want the best of the best you'll want a 0.5FT WireWorld or Apollo AV, but too bad the shortest length available is 0.3M (from WireWorld). But after my many listening A/B test's, it's only 'better' in terms of theoretical and technical specification, but sound wise, under 1 meter they all sound the same.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #134 of 869
This post from another forum is giving me pause as to how to get the most from SU-1....any thoughts?

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #135 of 869
 Looks like I'll have the SU1 in my chain tonight!
My shipping date has been updated to today rather than tomorrow.

Congrats! Hope it works well in your chain!

I ordered voltage regulator and I'm gonna replace next week.

My set of capacitors is different then Kitsune version. I didn't like sound when all of them are Nichicon Fine Gold. And also not all should be 470uF. I found my way of "perfect sound". But still experimenting with caps nearby xmos cheap. I have favorite but maybe there is better one..

All capacitors should be replaced with same capacitance value otherwise they'll go through a prolonged charging state. I doubt an insignificant amount can affect this circuit though, but it can affect some. This is why I always keep my capacitance the same and only increase voltage rating.

I'm very surprised you can hear sound quality differences from capacitor change in a digital circuit.

I've never been able to unless there were many caps with low enough capacitances that can be replaced with film or if it's an analog circuit.

You're replacing the stock voltage regulator? With what?

Wireworld HDMI sounds to sharp in direct comparison to AQ - no matter is flat or not. AQ sounds smoother.

Flat design is better for i2S because the wire groups that carry signal data (DATA) and clock (BCLK, WCLK, and MCLK) is separated horizontally. This makes the main wire groups only affected from crosstalk by themselves. However, even then they're properly shielded from one another in both low frequency (tinned copper braid) and high frequency (aluminum foil) electromagnetic interference. This should correlate to less jitter.

Because of this reason, I seem to understand how you find AudioQuest to be more smooth considering their design. It's made with 5 twisted pairs, one extra for audio and ethernet, but is only optimized for HDMI TV. It's not the best in terms of crosstalk, however I can't argue against what another person hears may it be placebo or not.

I will have to praise AudioQuest on one advancement and it's their field termination design. It works better at keeping 100 ohm impedance compared to traditional cables crimp and solder designs that needs the wire's insulation removed prior to workability. This impedance improvement may be what you're hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back