Singxer SU-1 Owners
Mar 18, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #91 of 869
I just modded my SU-1 by providing direct 5vdc from a Teknet battery I had laying around. The internal SU-1 power supply measured exactly 5.0vdc while my battery output 5.1vdc. Initial impressions are positive. So far there isnt a night and day difference but music does seem to emanate from a blacker background. I will listen more and report back.

I should note that I use a PS Audio P3 ac regenerator unit so maybe that is why I dont initially hear a a huge difference. Perhaps the SU-1 power supply is actually pretty good.

More to come.

I have a Singxer coming and I'm thinking of pulling out the stock power supply and putting it in a custom enclosure along with a set of Bybee Music Rails. That should work pretty well. I was also thinking, you could get some thin copper sheets and build a "enclosure within an enclosure" right inside the stock Singxer box.

You could pull the PS out, cover three sides with copper sheet, build a copper divider and I bet that also would help big league. Thoughts?

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #92 of 869
I have a Singxer coming and I'm thinking of pulling out the stock power supply and putting it in a custom enclosure along with a set of Bybee Music Rails. That should work pretty well. I was also thinking, you could get some thin copper sheets and build a "enclosure within an enclosure" right inside the stock Singxer box.

You could pull the PS out, cover three sides with copper sheet, build a copper divider and I bet that also would help big league. Thoughts?

You can also follow my idea with adhesive copper foil. Is easy to implement. Just put many layers to rich desired thickness.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #93 of 869

The Bybee music rail looks interesting. My original idea was to buy an Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply. I wonder if the Bybee would be better/cheapest?

You can also follow my idea with adhesive copper foil. Is easy to implement. Just put many layers to rich desired thickness.

This looks like something easy I can try in the SU-1 as well as my server PC. How thick should the copper layer be? Would this achieve the same result as the emi/rfi sheets like this:

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/3/3m/emirfi-absorbers

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #95 of 869
Could you pls provide a link to your idea of using copper foil? Just can't find it. Thanks

Buy this:

To make this:

This looks like something easy I can try in the SU-1 as well as my server PC. How thick should the copper layer be? Would this achieve the same result as the emi/rfi sheets like this:

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/3/3m/emirfi-absorbers

To be honest, I never tried EMI absorbers. As I heard it's turns RFI to heat?

Copper foil works as a shield. Has to be connected with ground. 
It has 0.065mm thickness so you need at least few layers.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #97 of 869
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=129&step=2&top_cat=87

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1408&step=2&top_cat=87

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #99 of 869
I am thinking of getting a Singxer SU-1, and I have a Holo Spring DAC.

I am wondering if there are any SQ differences between the outputs of the SU-1?

i.e. Does using coax out of the SU-1 sound different than using the I2S out? or similarly with AES?

I gather that this would have something to do with how different inputs are process on the spring, but is the idea that because the I2S communicates directly to DAC section (thus bypassing most of the input processing) which makes it sound better?

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #100 of 869

i.e. Does using coax out of the SU-1 sound different than using the I2S out? or similarly with AES?

I gather that this would have something to do with how different inputs are process on the spring, but is the idea that because the I2S communicates directly to DAC section (thus bypassing most of the input processing) which makes it sound better?

I believe that is a correct assessment about I2S.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #101 of 869
AES and S/PDIF if i recall use the same type of transmitter chip. The main reason why AES/EBU is better is due to it's differential balance design which at higher speed signals help with jitter. The impedance on XLR is also more stable than with RCA i believe.

Compared to BNC however for short lengths, they should sound very similar if not the same (even to well made RCA cables). Once the length gets longer, AES/EBU should pull ahead.

I2S is the native language of the DAC thus skips the receiving end (input) as it then goes either through a digital isolator or the DAC itself. i2S wasn't designed for cable runs as it was suppose to be from a PCB board to board implementation. Later on they utilized better shielded cables for out of chassis hookups such as CAT and COAXIAL that divided the data and clocks, soon followed BY improving transmission with balanced designs such HDMI that kept signal fidelity unhindered.

This is why HDMI i2S can be slightly longer however I wouldn't recommend going past 0.5M, even if you use an expensive cable like the WireWorld Platinum Starlight.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #102 of 869
I was testing with 1m cable. Didn't notice any difference between 0.6m version of same cable. Maybe over that length..

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #105 of 869

I have done testing with and without the SU-1 in my system and I recently compared the I2S and AES inputs on the Spring HERE
I found the I2S to have an edge over AES in terms of fine detail.  
Adding the SU-1 to your system and using the I2S input will really make a difference.  I feel like it's a worthwhile upgrade to the Holo.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back