Side By Side Comparison - AirPods Max, B&O H95, Dali iO-6, B&W PX8, ML 5909, M&D MW75, Focal Bathys and more
Sep 4, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #331 of 464
Went though several wireless headphones from the comparison in the first post, and my impressions are mostly the same:

- Sony XM5: very comfortable, best ANC, worst sound. Pretty terrible really, boomy and muddy even after EQ

- T+A Solitaire T: medium comfort due to the small pads. Best sound, but with some caveats. First, i couldn't shake the feeling that this sound doesn't cost so much. Second, sound stage is small even comparing to my HD600

- Momentum 4: medium comfort, not sure if it's the clamping force or something with the pads construction, but i couldn't use these for a longer time. Really decent sound, if sony had the same, i would take it and quit the search. Best price/performance. Somewhat inconsistent ANC though, and i wish there was an option to turn it off.

- Bowers & Wilkins PX8: i'm keeping these :D. Sound is on the darker/warmer side, but i like it. A step above M4, might be less detailed than SolT, but also not as narrow. Plus for half the price i can forgive more imperfections. ANC is good enough. Comfort is very good too, except for the clamping force, but it should loose over time.
Agree on the Sony's, just poor sound frankly. Love PX8.

Sep 7, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #332 of 464
What would be the order in which a pair of over-ear ANC headphones would wear down? This is assuming that there are no manufacturer defects and that the user takes good care of them (no throwing, no exposure to the elements, none of that stuff).

I would assume the order would be, in quickest to last:

1. Earpads and headband
2. Battery
3. Internal circuitry
4. Frame

Would this be about right? Or is there something else?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #333 of 464
i impulse purchased the XM5 on Friday. From memory of the XM4 the XM5 does seem like a noteable upgrade in sq.
I was hesitant about the auto ANC that can't be disabled. Friday night it was fine, but updated headphones to latest firmware 2.2 I think it is, and now the headphones while on ANC really change the sound of the music from time to time, even while I'm sitting still. I played with the seal, thinking I must be able to get a better seal to stop this, but it happens regardless. If ANC is off then it doesn't happen. I'm probably just gonna return them. Wish I hadn't done that update. Easy to say now of course.
Edit: really considering picking up the PX8 again, or waiting for the IO12 which i initially ruled out for it's high price, but i am seriously considering it now.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #334 of 464
Hi guys, double post from the Bathys threads:

AudioQuest Carbon USB-C Cable Review

Hi there all of you guys who - like me - won’t stop thinking that there could be more to squeeze out of the Bathys. I reached out to AudioQuest and they did send me an example of their 0.75 meter Carbon USB-C to USB-C cable in exchange for an honest review (using the cable with my Bathys and my MacBook Pro as well as my Samsung Galaxy s10e).

For starters I’d like to tell you which EQ I am using:

+1.5db/62Hz
+2db/250Hz
+5.5db/1kHz
+6db/4kHz
+5.5db/16kHz

I do use another one when using the Bathys wireless though … https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foc...arly-impressions.965153/page-63#post-17495082

I always heard differences between USB-C to lightning cables (I hat two different ones back then for my iPhone), and they did sound shockingly different! That’s why I thought maybe I could hear a difference between different USB-C to USB-C cables, too. In addition there are differences to be heard when switching from a mobile phone to the MacBook Pro. There shouldn’t be a difference. It´s all 1s and 0s, right? Well, I don’t believe that any more ...

Anyways, let’s start with my findings when listening to the AudioQuest Carbon in comparison to the original Focal USB-C cable:

Overall I would say that I hear some kind of consolidation. The music seems to be a bit more present, tangible. It doesn’t have a different presentation (like the Wireworld I will speak of later on). BUT as the background appears to be blacker when listening to the Carbon, the music might be more palpable. It certainly isn’t a night-and-day-difference though.

Beginning with the bass I’m inclined to say the Carbon has a tiny bit more oomph than the original cable. I, for one, like its bass presentation very much and wouldn’t want to change anything.

The highs are, compared to the Focal cable, a bit softer. I have to admit: That’s something that surprised me a bit. Not that the Caron sounds worse in this department, it´s just a bit more cautious. This also means: One could drive the Bathys a bit louder than previously, which in consequence favours the bass/mids … which isn’t a bad thing per se if one prefers headphones that don’t have too much energy in the upper frequency range. On the other hand: If one prefers a more „airy“ sound, you might want to stick to the original cable.

But what about the mids? Well, here lies the true charm of the Carbon, at least for me. Because this cable favours voices above all! Which again, might not be what you are searching for when listening to a lot of classical music and instrumental albums where you might want a bigger stage and air. BUT if you are one that favours voices, then you might want to check out this cable. It presents them very beautifully!

Since I did review the Wireworld Starlight 8 a few months back - you can find my findings here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foc...er-ear-headphone.965131/page-84#post-17653679
- Of course I’d also like to compare those two upgrade cables:

Alright, the Wireworld has a bigger stage. It sounds grander. But it comes with a cost. Where the information of the left and right signals pan very „left“ and very „right“, there also seems to be some kind of lack in between. At least when compared to the Carbon.

The Carbon has more information in the center stage, and it „renders“ (if one could use that word in a USB cable review) the information very true to the source. The WireWorld cable sounds a tiny bit, just really a tiny bit more woolly, just because the stage is that big in comparison to the stage of the Carbon. And to be honest, I am not sure which sound I really prefer. Of course orchestral music benefits from having „space“. But when listening to a jazz singer I might want to hear the voices as clear as possible. I guess it comes down to your taste. Both cables are similarly priced. Pick your poison :wink:

The downsides?

1. One word: Price. (About 200 Euros). Of course this is a lot.
2. It doesn’t sound THAT much different when comparing it to the original Focal cable. It "just" makes it a bit more "better" sounding. (The WireWorld cable did indeed sound different)
3. The length is either 0.75 meters or 1.5 meters. I chose the first, shorter length because I want to put my smartphone into my left front pocket. It is the perfect length for this carrying version. 1.5 meters would have been to long, even if I would put my mobile phone into my back pocket. Also please don’t forget number 1 (price!)
4. Compared to the Starlight 8 cable from Wireworld it doesn’t „flash“ any importance. It is, well, black. It is slightly thicker than the original cable, which is a very good thing in my opinion. Also it bends very nicely, is pliable (although not as pliable as the original cable) and also doesn’t have so much microphonics than the WireWorld. But if you are looking for an upgrade cable that also has a bling bling factor, this isn’t it. But I think that most of you guys don’t want/need that anyways because the Bathys itself has enough „importance“ in its looks itself.

BTW: This is the link to the official AudioQuest/Carbon website:
https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/usb-c-to-usb-c/carbon

To be true: The Batys sound fantastic with the bluetooth connection. Of course there is a jump to be heard when connecting it with a USB-C cable to the mobile phone (it sounds better to me when connected to an android phone compared to the iPhone with the Camera Kit). And there is another small jump when connecting the Bathys to the Laptop/MacBook Pro. And there is another (this time even smaller) jump when connecting the Bathys with an upgrade USB-C cable to the chosen source, at least to me, where the diminishing return kicks in. BUT the biggest jump (in overall sound quality and transparency and balanced tuning) you will get when applying my suggested EQ (for USB connection) at the beginning of this review. Have fun listening to the Bathys! :)

And here, at last, some pics:

1_A1274EBA-B412-4126-A3D3-758280027E50-12173-00004F85FFEA5719.JPG
2_2E7541DD-0621-410F-96C7-B48C54832D9B-12173-00004F85FC2AD4EA.JPG
3_03A39046-986B-47E8-BC62-B01EC2D0F029-12173-00004F86036BD541.JPG
4_6F615CED-1FE9-49FF-B131-F9B9604F3C46-12173-00004F85F7EA18C7.JPG
5_278D9323-E7CB-4690-98E3-36B12042660B-12173-00004F85F44557FD.JPG

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #335 of 464

Hi there all of you guys who - like me - won’t stop thinking that there could be more to squeeze out of the Bathys. I reached out to AudioQuest and they did send me an example of their 0.75 meter Carbon USB-C to USB-C cable in exchange for an honest review (using the cable with my Bathys and my MacBook Pro as well as my Samsung Galaxy s10e).

+1.5db/62Hz
+2db/250Hz
+5.5db/1kHz
+6db/4kHz
+5.5db/16kHz

I do use another one when using the Bathys wireless though … https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foc...arly-impressions.965153/page-63#post-17495082

I always heard differences between USB-C to lightning cables (I hat two different ones back then for my iPhone), and they did sound shockingly different! That’s why I thought maybe I could hear a difference between different USB-C to USB-C cables, too. In addition there are differences to be heard when switching from a mobile phone to the MacBook Pro. There shouldn’t be a difference. It´s all 1s and 0s, right? Well, I don’t believe that any more ...

Anyways, let’s start with my findings when listening to the AudioQuest Carbon in comparison to the original Focal USB-C cable:

Overall I would say that I hear some kind of consolidation. The music seems to be a bit more present, tangible. It doesn’t have a different presentation (like the Wireworld I will speak of later on). BUT as the background appears to be blacker when listening to the Carbon, the music might be more palpable. It certainly isn’t a night-and-day-difference though.

Beginning with the bass I’m inclined to say the Carbon has a tiny bit more oomph than the original cable. I, for one, like its bass presentation very much and wouldn’t want to change anything.

The highs are, compared to the Focal cable, a bit softer. I have to admit: That’s something that surprised me a bit. Not that the Caron sounds worse in this department, it´s just a bit more cautious. This also means: One could drive the Bathys a bit louder than previously, which in consequence favours the bass/mids … which isn’t a bad thing per se if one prefers headphones that don’t have too much energy in the upper frequency range. On the other hand: If one prefers a more „airy“ sound, you might want to stick to the original cable.

But what about the mids? Well, here lies the true charm of the Carbon, at least for me. Because this cable favours voices above all! Which again, might not be what you are searching for when listening to a lot of classical music and instrumental albums where you might want a bigger stage and air. BUT if you are one that favours voices, then you might want to check out this cable. It presents them very beautifully!

Since I did review the Wireworld Starlight 8 a few months back - you can find my findings here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foc...er-ear-headphone.965131/page-84#post-17653679

Alright, the Wireworld has a bigger stage. It sounds grander. But it comes with a cost. Where the information of the left and right signals pan very „left“ and very „right“, there also seems to be some kind of lack in between. At least when compared to the Carbon.

The Carbon has more information in the center stage, and it „renders“ (if one could use that word in a USB cable review) the information very true to the source. The WireWorld cable sounds a tiny bit, just really a tiny bit more woolly, just because the stage is that big in comparison to the stage of the Carbon. And to be honest, I am not sure which sound I really prefer. Of course orchestral music benefits from having „space“. But when listening to a jazz singer I might want to hear the voices as clear as possible. I guess it comes down to your taste. Both cables are similarly priced. Pick your poison :wink:

The downsides?

2. It doesn’t sound THAT much different when comparing it to the original Focal cable. It "just" makes it a bit more "better" sounding. (The WireWorld cable did indeed sound different)
3. The length is either 0.75 meters or 1.5 meters. I chose the first, shorter length because I want to put my smartphone into my left front pocket. It is the perfect length for this carrying version. 1.5 meters would have been to long, even if I would put my mobile phone into my back pocket. Also please don’t forget number 1 (price!)
4. Compared to the Starlight 8 cable from Wireworld it doesn’t „flash“ any importance. It is, well, black. It is slightly thicker than the original cable, which is a very good thing in my opinion. Also it bends very nicely, is pliable (although not as pliable as the original cable) and also doesn’t have so much microphonics than the WireWorld. But if you are looking for an upgrade cable that also has a bling bling factor, this isn’t it. But I think that most of you guys don’t want/need that anyways because the Bathys itself has enough „importance“ in its looks itself.

To be true: The Batys sound fantastic with the bluetooth connection. Of course there is a jump to be heard when connecting it with a USB-C cable to the mobile phone (it sounds better to me when connected to an android phone compared to the iPhone with the Camera Kit). And there is another small jump when connecting the Bathys to the Laptop/MacBook Pro. And there is another (this time even smaller) jump when connecting the Bathys with an upgrade USB-C cable to the chosen source, at least to me, where the diminishing return kicks in. BUT the biggest jump (in overall sound quality and transparency and balanced tuning) you will get when applying my suggested EQ (for USB connection) at the beginning of this review. Have fun listening to the Bathys! :)

1_A1274EBA-B412-4126-A3D3-758280027E50-12173-00004F85FFEA5719.JPG2_2E7541DD-0621-410F-96C7-B48C54832D9B-12173-00004F85FC2AD4EA.JPG3_03A39046-986B-47E8-BC62-B01EC2D0F029-12173-00004F86036BD541.JPG4_6F615CED-1FE9-49FF-B131-F9B9604F3C46-12173-00004F85F7EA18C7.JPG5_278D9323-E7CB-4690-98E3-36B12042660B-12173-00004F85F44557FD.JPG
What is this??? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #339 of 464

+1.5db/62Hz
+2db/250Hz
+5.5db/1kHz
+6db/4kHz
+5.5db/16kHz

The downsides?

1_A1274EBA-B412-4126-A3D3-758280027E50-12173-00004F85FFEA5719.JPG2_2E7541DD-0621-410F-96C7-B48C54832D9B-12173-00004F85FC2AD4EA.JPG3_03A39046-986B-47E8-BC62-B01EC2D0F029-12173-00004F86036BD541.JPG4_6F615CED-1FE9-49FF-B131-F9B9604F3C46-12173-00004F85F7EA18C7.JPG5_278D9323-E7CB-4690-98E3-36B12042660B-12173-00004F85F44557FD.JPG

How to throw 7+ years and 1.900 posts of head-fi trust down the drain lol 👏

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #342 of 464
Thanks man, I appreciate your contribution! 🫶

Is obvious for everybody that your long cable posts are really only marketing and that, without doubt, you are benefitting financially (or with free samples at least) from marketing this cables/products.

BUT PLEASE, at least have decency of posting your marketing posts in the cables section of head-fi. This thread is specifically about comparing different ANC headphones.

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #344 of 464
Anyone tried Apple's lightning to 3.5mm with the APM? Does it bring much to the party?

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #345 of 464
Word of warning: pay attention to the source when trialing headphones.

I was at an Apple Store today, mostly as an afterthought because I was at the surrounding area for a different reason, and I figured I would trial the Beats Studio Pro while I was there.

To those who might not be familiar, the store has a display unit paired to an iPad running Apple Music. The same applies to the AirPods Max. Once the attendant gave me a quick rundown of the headphone specs and went off, I started looking up familiar songs and listening.

I first chose a song from the Japanese heavy metal band X Japan, Silent Jealousy. It turned out that the Apple Music catalogue available in my region had only two or so albums available, and the album that had Silent Jealousy was labeled as “remastered.” I didn’t care much about that label…until five minutes later.

I had an immediately negative first impression of the BSP. The song sounded absolutely nothing like what I was familiar with for all these years. The mixing was all over the place, and the cymbals were practically nonexistent.

I then unpaired the BSP from the store iPad and paired it to my personal iPhone. Then I played the same song in my offline library, one that I personally ripped from my own CD collection and knew was not remastered or a more recent re-release otherwise. Only then did it sound very much more like the song I knew.

My take was that the BSP sounds a lot like my Solo3, but with a lesser emphasis on the low end. So, for my ears, it sounded plenty doable. Maybe not necessarily for critical listening, but still doable overall.

But comfort was another story. These are over-ears, but after having worn headphones with big cups like the HD6XX or the Focal Elegia, the BSP cups felt more stifling. These would definitely not be something I wear in warmer weather, at the very least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back