Side By Side Comparison - AirPods Max, B&O H95, Dali iO-6, B&W PX8, ML 5909, M&D MW75, Focal Bathys and more
Oct 10, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #346 of 464
I will say this about the Beats Studio Pro, they are the most accurate sounding Beats headphones ever in my opinion. It actually sounds more natural (less digitized) than the AirPods Max to my ears. When I first listened to them, I was actually shocked. I've been a fan of the Beats loud, super punchy, in your face sound. Beats has always been my workout headphone. These Beats are the exact opposite. They're quieter, less mid and upper bass heavy, and closer to neutral. Don't get me wrong, they still have some bass impact, but I'm actually getting more sub bass than the Studio 3. It sounds to me like Apple dropped the mid and high bass down a little and upped the sub bass which gives you less punch, but a more even bass response. It still doesn't give you the level of sub bass the AirPods Max give you, but it's more than the Studio 3. Compared to the AirPods Max, the Beats are more portable with better battery life. They're comparable in phone call quality with Beats actually having a better noise filter system to block outside noise while on a call. I'd give a slight edge to the AirPods Max in mic quality though. Comfort is subjective, but I can say they are comparable. The Beats are much lighter with a higher clamping force and more stable fit if you like to be active with your headphones. The AirPods Max material on its headband make it more comfortable on top of the head. The AirPods Max still get the nod for anc and transparency. I don't see anyone touching the AirPods Max transparency mode. As far as build quality goes, obviously the AirPods Max are leagues ahead. Only time will tell what small modifications, if any, Apple made to the design. Just looking at it and holding it though, it feels the exact same as the Beats Studio 3. I will save my final verdict for my comparison, but I will say that if you already own the AirPods Max, I wouldn't sell it for the Beats Studio Pro unless you just desire a better workout headphone. If you're trying to decide on a new purchase between the two, I personally would take Beats Studio Pro. It gets you 95 percent of the performance of the AirPods Max for over $100 less. You don't get the seamless switching between your Apple devices since it doesn't have an Apple chip, but in return you get USB-C lossless listening and a more versatile sound signature in my opinion. The best way I can describe it is the AirPods Max sound more cinematic while the Beats sound more natural. In saying all of this, I think the ultimate decision would be to wait on the AirPods Max 2. I have a feeling Apple is going to hit that one out of the park based on how good these Beats Studio Pro are.

As far as the PX7 S2 goes, I no longer own that headphone, but from memory, the Beats would obviously be my choice if in the Apple ecosystem. As far as sound quality goes, the PX7 S2 are darker, and I can't believe I'm saying this, more fun in nature. The Beats are the more neutral sounding.

I honestly haven't listened to the Beats Solo Pro in years. From memory, the Beats Solo Pro were the first Beats pair to truly dial back the bass. The Beats Studio Pro are the same in this regard.
I apologize for my delay in reviewing the Beats Studio Pro. I've been dealing with some personal matters and have not really been active on Head-fi. I just wanted to provide a quick update. I've decided not to add the Beats Studio Pro to my comparison. In my previous post above, my impressions still pretty much stand. It's a slightly gimped version of the AirPods Max with a more neutral sound profile. I love it as a workout/gym headphone, and it holds up fairly well to other consumer headphones like the Bose QC45, Sony 1000XM5, and Sennheiser Momentum 4. Unfortunately, my biggest gripe with the Beats is that it doesn't do any one thing really well. The 1000XM5 has the best features in wireless ANC headphones. The Bose QC45 are the most comfortable and light with a very comparable neutral sound profile to the Studio Pro. The Momentum 4 and even B&W PX7 S2 sound more engaging and enjoyable than the Studio Pro. Yes, the Studio Pro are more neutral, but I feel Apple gimped the sound a little so that it doesn't step on the AirPods Max. I can't believe I'm saying this, but at times the Beats sound boring and too reserved.

If Apple would've at least kept the seamless switching between Apple devices, this may be a different conversation, at least for Apple users. But without that, the Beats are good, but they don't stand out among the bunch.

Oct 10, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #347 of 464
I apologize for my delay in reviewing the Beats Studio Pro. I've been dealing with some personal matters and have not really been active on Head-fi. I just wanted to provide a quick update. I've decided not to add the Beats Studio Pro to my comparison. In my previous post above, my impressions still pretty much stand. It's a slightly gimped version of the AirPods Max with a more neutral sound profile. I love it as a workout/gym headphone, and it holds up fairly well to other consumer headphones like the Bose QC45, Sony 1000XM5, and Sennheiser Momentum 4. Unfortunately, my biggest gripe with the Beats is that it doesn't do any one thing really well. The 1000XM5 has the best features in wireless ANC headphones. The Bose QC45 are the most comfortable and light with a very comparable neutral sound profile to the Studio Pro. The Momentum 4 and even B&W PX7 S2 sound more engaging and enjoyable than the Studio Pro. Yes, the Studio Pro are more neutral, but I feel Apple gimped the sound a little so that it doesn't step on the AirPods Max. I can't believe I'm saying this, but at times the Beats sound boring and too reserved.

If Apple would've at least kept the seamless switching between Apple devices, this may be a different conversation, at least for Apple users. But without that, the Beats are good, but they don't stand out among the bunch.
Would you think the rankings would change when wired listening is taken into account?

I believe that Apple advertised what (to me) sound like different EQ profiles when you use a USB C cable for listening. In contrast, the AirPods Max is practically exclusive to Bluetooth. Depending on what a user prioritizes, the BSP could be the most versatile headphones Apple has ever released.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #348 of 464
Owning both the Beats Studio Pro and the B&W Px7 S2, I definitely prefer the B&W by quite a bit but the Beats are surprisingly not bad. With some EQ (I use wavelet) they are alright. But definitely less clarity and detail compared to the B&W.

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #349 of 464
Owning both the Beats Studio Pro and the B&W Px7 S2, I definitely prefer the B&W by quite a bit but the Beats are surprisingly not bad. With some EQ (I use wavelet) they are alright. But definitely less clarity and detail compared to the B&W.
Actually I have the Studio 3, not pro. Lol oops! But either way, what I said stands

Oct 13, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #350 of 464
A new contender enters the ring....

IMG_2842.jpeg

IMG_2841.jpeg

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #353 of 464

I recently got the Studio Pro on the Amazon sale for $180. I've been looking for a set of ANC headphones for a while, and this is my first. The reasons I picked the Studio Pro over others are for a few reasons you didn't touch on.
First, I'm all Apple, and yet, I didn't want auto-switching. I like that they sync via iCloud, so it's a very quick tap to swap devices, and I do that when I actually want to switch, no re-pairing required.
Second, it supports head tracking for spatial audio for use with my Apple TV and movies. I didn't even know this when I bought it, but it also supports the feature to scan your head to get a personalized HRTF for spatial audio.
It has built in support for swapping sound profiles via the iOS control center.
I didn't want touch controls, I prefer actual buttons, though I wish they'd use a softer clicking button so it's not as loud of a click right in your ear.
The only other wireless headphones I have are the Solo3, and these new Studio Pro are definitely more well balanced and the sound is definitely good enough for me.
I've yet to try the USB audio, the only thing I have that will work with it is my Mac, and I've just not found the time to test that yet.
I also didn't like how heavy the APM were when I tried a pair, the Beats, yes while plastic, are light, and fit well on my head.

At $180, for me, they're the obvious choice.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #356 of 464
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #358 of 464
Hi guys, I'm looking for new headphones for the gym. I listen to a lot of techno, electro, house and hardstyle.

For the last 5 years I have used the B&W P7 wireless and loved them. Unfortunately the earpiece is broken and I think it's time for something new (mirco-USB, no ANC, battery life was no longer the best). What I loved about the headphones, besides the timeless design and the good build quality, was of course the sound. I really liked the sound signature, with its good and punchy bass (in my opinion). And the volume was also high enough to blow your ears off :smile:

Anyway, it's time for something new and I would be happy if you could help me with the purchase choice.
These are the headphones I'm considering, after skimming the thread:
  • B&W PX8
  • B&O H95
  • M&D MW75
  • ML 5909
Why these headphones?
Apart from the pure sound, I also want the headphones to look good and have a high build quality and/or use "good" materials (plastic is not bad in itself, but it just doesn't appeal to me).

The only headphones I could test were the PX8 and PX7 S2.
The PX7 S2 couldn't convince me, they clearly lacked resolution, my old P7W are much better.
I liked the PX8 pretty much, they have a lot more stage than my P7W and a similarly good resolution. What bothered me a bit was the maximum volume, which could not keep up with the P7W. And the sound signature is different (for my needs slightly worse). The bass is not so punchy, somehow wider and a bit boomy then the P7W.

I don't know if any of the headphones mentioned come as close as possible to the sound signature of the P7W, or if I have overlooked a possible headphone. I am open for ohter suggestions

Let me briefly summarise what is important for me:
  • Good sound, especially in the bass area, I want precision and punch.
  • High max volume
  • Good build quality and high quality materials
  • Nice design - this is totally subjective and I can only judge for myself.
Other features that are not so important to me:
  • ANC - nice to have, but rather uninteresting at the volumes I listen to music.
  • App - cool if you can make adjustments, but I didn't need one for my P7W, so I think I can live without it.
  • Comfort - I wear the headphones for a maximum of 2 hours a day, if everything else fits then I'll take this trade-off.. The headphones just shouldn't slip off my head every time I move.
I would be very happy if you could help me. Thank you!

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #359 of 464
  • ANC - nice to have, but rather uninteresting at the volumes I listen to music.
  • App - cool if you can make adjustments, but I didn't need one for my P7W, so I think I can live without it.
  • Comfort - I wear the headphones for a maximum of 2 hours a day, if everything else fits then I'll take this trade-off.. The headphones just shouldn't slip off my head every time I move.
I would be very happy if you could help me. Thank you!
Try them all if you can.
That said, I also loved P7w, and tried most of the BT headphones on the market bar 5909, and ended up with PX8. They're a perfect upgrade imo. Bathys also rock.

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #360 of 464

Users who are viewing this thread

Back