Sibling Rivalry; The Woo WA2 vs The Woo WA6SE (review posted: update 6-3-2011)
Jul 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #151 of 179
For the "tubey" sound, the WA2, but here's the problem...with your HD-700s, I'd recommend the WA2 BUT for your LCD-3s, I'd go with the WA6LE. 

I'll go out on a limb and say I would get the WA6LE because I believe the HD700 will sound better on the WA6LE than the LCD-3 will on the WA2. YMMV

That said, if you insist on the most "tubey" sound, the WA2 is the choice of the two.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #152 of 179
I'll go out on a limb and say I would get the WA6LE because I believe the HD700 will sound better on the WA6LE than the LCD-3 will on the WA2. YMMV

That said, if you insist on the most "tubey" sound, the WA2 is the choice of the two.

Good points Ross. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #153 of 179

Good points Ross. 

Thanks for the inputs guys.

I have only been into the cans game for a month. I have collected some decent stuff already. Just want to finish on some tubes. I think I will go WA6-SE as it will likely suit the LCD3 better. To me the LCD3 is as close as it gets to end game HP. So it is best to look for something that suits it.

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #154 of 179
Thanks for the inputs guys.

I have only been into the cans game for a month. I have collected some decent stuff already. Just want to finish on some tubes. I think I will go WA6-SE as it will likely suit the LCD3 better. To me the LCD3 is as close as it gets to end game HP. So it is best to look for something that suits it.

For the LCD-3s being your endgame, I'd go with the WA6SE as Ross mentioned. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #156 of 179
  For the LCD-3s being your endgame, I'd go with the WA6SE as Ross mentioned. 

Thanks Guys. I will choose WA6-SE over WA2.

However I have been thinking about going smaller. Possibly WA6.

I tell ya my thinking.

I have the Oppo HA-1 amp. The LCD-3 and Oppo combination is fantastic. Interestingly I only need to run the LCD-3 in low impedance mode. It is plenty loud enough at the 9-10 O'clock position (I don't listen overly loud). The Oppo has 75W power and it is plenty to run both HP's.

The WA6 is rated at 80W. 5W more than the Oppo. So I was thinking that should be plenty of power to run my HP's at a similar volume to the Oppo. Is this right or have I missed something?

One other minor issue I have is space (see pic below). Space is becoming a real commodity. However I will always make space for cool equipment.

This is not a $$ issue. I'm just asking myself. Do I need that power for the HP's I own??? and shall I save some space???

Do ya think I would be okay with the WA6?

I plan to put a Woo WA? where the matrix model is. Move PS3 and PS4 to bottom amp shelf and leave the total top for headgear.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #157 of 179

Thanks Guys. I will choose WA6-SE over WA2.

However I have been thinking about going smaller. Possibly WA6.

I tell ya my thinking.

I have the Oppo HA-1 amp. The LCD-3 and Oppo combination is fantastic. Interestingly I only need to run the LCD-3 in low impedance mode. It is plenty loud enough at the 9-10 O'clock position (I don't listen overly loud). The Oppo has 75W power and it is plenty to run both HP's.

The WA6 is rated at 80W. 5W more than the Oppo. So I was thinking that should be plenty of power to run my HP's at a similar volume to the Oppo. Is this right or have I missed something?

One other minor issue I have is space (see pic below). Space is becoming a real commodity. However I will always make space for cool equipment.

This is not a $$ issue. I'm just asking myself. Do I need that power for the HP's I own??? and shall I save some space???

Do ya think I would be okay with the WA6?

I plan to put a Woo WA? where the matrix model is. Move PS3 and PS4 to bottom amp shelf and leave the total top for headgear.

I think those numbers are the power the amp actually consumes, as in electricity.but as for power to actually drive the headphones, both are in the milliwatt (mW) range, maybe 1-2 watts tops.

big numbers like that would be more like those that you would see for speaker amps.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #158 of 179

I think those numbers are the power the amp actually consumes, as in electricity.but as for power to actually drive the headphones, both are in the milliwatt (mW) range, maybe 1-2 watts tops.

big numbers like that would be more like those that you would see for speaker amps.

I find that the LCD-3 requires less than my Senny HD700. I noticed the website says the little fireflys can drive the LCD-2 well. So would a WA6 be powerful enough for Audeze LCD-3?

Or should I just make room and throw in the WA6-SE (I think it could be wasted on me)? I don't listen loud.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #159 of 179

I find that the LCD-3 requires less than my Senny HD700. I noticed the website says the little fireflys can drive the LCD-2 well. So would a WA6 be powerful enough for Audeze LCD-3?

Or should I just make room and throw in the WA6-SE (I think it could be wasted on me)? I don't listen loud.

i think the WA6 would be barely enough.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #160 of 179

Cool. I got it.

WA6-SE it is then. I will make space.

I don't want to be underpowered. I know all about that as you can see with the poweramps I have for speakers in the pic above.

Thanks for ya help all.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #161 of 179

Exactly...orthos sound best with more power, and the LCD-3s "deserve" the WA6SE. 
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #162 of 179
Exactly...orthos sound best with more power, and the LCD-3s "deserve" the WA6SE. :wink:

Agreed. It's not really only about listening volume. The extra power helps the orthos run at their best.

Think of it like a sports car. A 2500 lb sports car with 100 hp and one with 500 hp will both get to 100 mph. Which do you think will get there more easily?

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #163 of 179
Agreed. It's not really only about listening volume. The extra power helps the orthos run at their best.

Think of it like a sports car. A 2500 lb sports car with 100 hp and one with 500 hp will both get to 100 mph. Which do you think will get there more easily?

May 29, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #164 of 179
Hi its been nearly 3 years since last post here, has anyone paired the amps to newer cans like Elear, LCDX, Ether, He1k etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back