Shure vs Ety's?
Jul 28, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #61 of 98
The lower end Shures are to be avoided!

If you want cheap pairs the NE-7M's are good and work with both Sony Hybrid Tips or Comply's. Apple Dual Driver IEMS can be had on ebay for around $30 as well from certain legit sellers.

If I were you and didn't want a ton of bass I'd go for the RE0, most likely. You should also be able to get Monster Turbines in that price range if you find a good deal (I've seen them under $100 before somewhere)

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #62 of 98
The foam inside RE0/1/2 are there to add acoustic impedance (for tuning the frequency response). Add (more), change (w/ other kind of foam) or remove the foam will change the frequency response, but whether you will like the end result is to your own ears. It does make RE1 reveals more treble, but some find the mod to be too much for RE0 (as it already has really great treble). Personally, I like the mod'ed RE0 slightly better, but not enough to make the mod permanent as I find unmod'ed RE0 pairing with amp sounds really great as well.

@coldmack:
You should have given a reason to back up your statement in the first place, and perhaps make sure people know that you were expressing a personal opinion, not an experience. At least people will take into consideration that you are not talking with first hand knowledge when they are reading your post.

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #63 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually remember seeing this mod for the RE1 that is kind of the reason for asking. I just can't find the thread for it right now.

Just out of curiosity I plan to use this with my laptop unamped, would that be much of an issue driving it? I know there is no issue driving my HD465. My old Cowon A2, and iPod Mini also didn't have an issue powering it.

Thank you all for the reply but maybe someone can tell me more about this aspect of the RE0?

And yeah I though about the Turbines earlier as the do fit my needs, but I heard the cables were not the best. Plus the cheapest I found the for was $120, which is more than I already want to spend. If the RE0 can be powered decently with out an amp from my phone or an mp3 device then this will be the one i look at. If not, I may have to get an amp with it, or look at something else.
Also, clie do you know what effect that mod has for the lower RE2?

BTW out of curiosity coldmack suggested the Custom 3, and I can get them for $105, shipped, and no tax, are there any advantages to them vs RE0?

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #65 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldmack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that depends if your laptop or mp3 player/phone has the ablility to support the 75 Impedence.

If you don't want to believe me about the RE0 look at this amazon review for it. Like you he was suggested on head-fi to get it and was dissapointed like you will be.
Amazon.com: HEAD-DIRECT RE0 In-ear Headphones: Electronics

FYI the RE0 is 64 ohms. Or maybe yet again you're right and we're all wrong. Mp3 players and laptops drive the RE0s fine, but of course you know better despite not owning a pair.

As for your ONE unsfavorable amazon review, Amazon reviewers are morons; if we went by amazon reviews, we should all be using chic buds with swarowski crystals. There's a reason that they only have one review - most head-fiers don't pay enough attention to amazon for anyone to actually bother writing one up.

Anyway, my patience well has run dry. I'm done with this thread. OP: just listen to whoever seems more knowledgeable: a guy with 20 posts recommending 30 different earphones he's never tried OR the rest of head-fi. Cheers.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #66 of 98
Wait I thought most mp3 players weren't too adequate powering anything under 50 or so ohms, with out an amp that is, or did I read that wrong some where? But thanks. Yeah I too don't like to trust Amazon reviews and such of site. I that reviewer must have done just had bad luck, or something. Or the reviewer is you cold.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #67 of 98
Quote:

Wait I thought most mp3 players weren't too adequate powering anything under 50 or so ohms, with out an amp that is, or did I read that wrong some where? But thanks. Yeah I too don't like to trust Amazon reviews and such of site. I that reviewer must have done just had bad luck, or something. Or the reviewer is you cold.

LOL that was my first thought but I decided not to entertain it. Glad someone said it (that would explain the bitterness).

I've been listening to the RE0s from my four DAPs for a few weeks, and in order of preference (no EQ), they go Sansa Clip > iPod 5G > Cowon D2 > Sansa E280. The clip is not a very powerful player, but the RE0s still go more than loud enough. An proper amp (such as my Headamp AE-1) makes them sound more alive, adds to the bass, and increases the soundstage, but I still find them enjoyable enough straight out of a DAP not to bother with a portable amp.

Again, I'm a big fan of the Etymotic sound signature, so I like things accurate and neutral, not warm and fuzzy.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #68 of 98
Well I just looked at the Amazon review of the RE0 and while I can't speak to the specifics since mine haven't been delivered yet, this seemed ridiculous:
Quote:

My first conclusion: Either I received FAKE ear-buds or somebody on head-fi is paid to post FAKE FAVORABLE REVIEW.

While it is certainly possible someone could be paid to place reviews/comments here, this community is so large that it would be virtually impossible to get any real traction posting bogus info. The law a large numbers on this board would be self-correcting and the bogus poster would revealed fairly quickly.

As to the first part about alleged "FAKE ear buds," Head Direct has a 30-day return policy and a pretty good reputation here (and with Amazon buyers).

As I said, I've ordered a pair from HD based on the overall commentary here and the summer sale pricing. The only question/doubt I have is whether the RE0s being sold now for $99 are identical in build and quality to those first released at the $229 price. The price drops to $169 and now $99 do make me wonder. If they're not a significant improvement over my ER6i's -- as I've been led to believe based on multiple threads/comments by many people -- I'll send them back.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #69 of 98
Quote:

And yeah I though about the Turbines earlier as the do fit my needs, but I heard the cables were not the best. Plus the cheapest I found the for was $120, which is more than I already want to spend.

The Turbines can be found for $94.99 at Ecost. However, I doubt the Turbines will be up your alley. While they do have their merits, I don't think most people would describe them as balanced. They're more on the bassy side.

Quote:

Wait I thought most mp3 players weren't too adequate powering anything under 50 or so ohms, with out an amp that is, or did I read that wrong some where?.

That advice, while not illogical, should be viewed more as a guideline than a hard and fast rule. Official numbers and specs may be nice to have and look at, but in the end, translating them into predictions of real world performance can be iffy. For instance, while all of my IEMs are rated at 32 ohms, they all require different different volume levels.

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #72 of 98
Got my RE0's today -- ordered Sunday, shipped Monday, delivered cross-country by Thursday. Right out of the box using the stock tips they sound pretty good -- much more balanced and 'true' than the 6i's. Looking forward to listening after some burn-in time and with better tips. To the OP, based on about an hour of listening, these are very much worth the additional ~$25 more than the ER6i's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back