Shure vs Ety's?
Aug 3, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #76 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by duanepo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone heard the Shure SE115. I heard they have dynamic drivers now? so that means a "bassier" effect right?

The SE115 happen to be one of my least favourite IEMs of all time. Yes, they are dynamic and bassy, but they also feel closed in and muffled. Even worse, they suffer from the infamous high-end roll-off of all low and mid-range Shure IEMs. I couldn't handle this even on the E4c's. If you are willing to sacrifice the highs for above-average bass, the Se115 could be right for you. Otherwise, stay away.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #77 of 98
Both are nice phones, much better than anything hanging from a hook at Walmart. The Ety's are less expensive but the Shures have better ergonomics. The Etys will give you lots of HF sparkle while the Shures are rich in midrange. With respect to bass, the Shures have more of it than the Ety's. Some complain that the Shure's thicker cable is more microphonic but the Ety's struck me as more prone to microphonics because of the ergonomics. With Shures, you pop and twist. With Ety's, it's like jamming tootsie pops into your ear, so any tug on the line will produce unpleasant microphonics. To its credit, Etymotics includes a lapel clip to cut down on this issue.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #80 of 98
well that is the sale price right now for the X5 and better custom 3. What they need to bring out is the X3, which is in-between the S4, and X5. With a sound better than the over hyped RE0 and the ER4 while we are at it.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #81 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by coldmack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well that is the sale price right now for the X5 and better custom 3. What they need to bring out is the X3, which is in-between the S4, and X5. With a sound better than the over hyped RE0 and the ER4 while we are at it.

Ugh... not this again. The RE0's are a lot of things, but they are definitely not overrated, especially at the current price. Same goes for the ER4P/S. If you don't like the RE0/Etymotic sound signature, just say that instead. My guess is you've never tried any of the IEMs you speak so higly or so poorly of.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #83 of 98
Never tried the Klipschs, so I can't help you there. All I know is that the X5's have been said to be vastly inferior to the X10s. In the $144 range, barring the RE0s, I would probably be deciding between the PFEs and FX500s (Er4P is just a bit out of reach there).

Edit: just read your original post, and it doesn't seem like you were intending to spend over $50 initially, and here you are deciding between mid-level flagship IEMs. I'm all for jumping into the deep end, but keep in mind that even $50 phones will be an upgrade from what you're used to. Unless you really think that you will be tortured by all the 'what if's, perhaps starting lower down the food chain wouldnt be a bad idea. There's a reason head-fi has the catchphrase that we do, but people often make the mistake that spending just a little more will land them into audio nirvana. In my experience this just isn't true (JH13 owners can feel free to disagree).

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #85 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So a $50 like the ER6i will be a jump over my Senheiser HD465?

Not really fair to compare IEMs to cans as the latter have obvious advantages in soundstaging and 'natural-ness'

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #87 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that, but I want something with more clarity and neutral-ness over it, while still having a good sound like it.

Haven't heard you Sennheisers, so I don't know what you're coming from. The Etys certainly provide clarity, but I would not call them completely neutral. Low end shures (namely the SE115 and E4c that I've tried/owned) aren't particularly neutral either. RE0s are neutral for around $100, and RE2s/Im-590s for $50.

I wasn't trying to say that more money won't get you better SQ, but simply commenting on your eagerness to jump in and triple your budget.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #89 of 98
ER6i's new for $50? They're usually $70-$75 and up. Again, maybe it's just my ears but, the 6i's don't sound very 'natural.' They sound contained and somewhat unauthentic despite the advertised high end clarity/detail.

The RE0's (still breaking in) are worth the extra $25+ -- much more natural with equal clarity/detail -- though I'm not sure they're worth their initial $229 price. They've been compared to the ER-4p's and, if valid, I'd say the 4p's are worth their price. However, if the RE0's are comparable to $250+ top end IEMs (as some reviews state) then IMHO none of them are worth that kind of money. But that's just me and I'm trying not to let Head-Fi (and my ears) unnecessarily damage my wallet...
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #90 of 98
I got $25 off coupon from Amazon(must be purchased new from amazon and not one of retailers on there to work). What about the X5(even the Custom 3) for sake of comparison?

I dunno something about the RE0 is holding me back from getting one and I am not sure what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back