Shure vs Ety's?
Jul 23, 2009 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

battleaxe

100+ Head-Fier
A search didn't bring up much on a comparison.
So, I thought I was set on the Er6i, but then an Amazon search brought Shure E2c going for the same price I can get the Er6i. Then I noticed for 10 more I can get the Shure SCL2. I didn't want to go over $50 but if it is worth the extra $10 then I may have to go for that.

I want to get the one that produces sound that sounds balanced with nothing to over prominent. I also want to say I want it to have a sound that is a little on the natural, but to clear on the wording. Comfort is a extra plus.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 98
The lower-end shures are regarded poorly here. I don't have personal listening experience with either (er4p's yes, er6i's no) but if you deal with a slightly bass-light set of phones the er6i's will suit you fine. Alternatively you can grab the RE2's with a similarly neutral/cold sound signature for ~$40.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 98
Well for the sake of a little more choice lets add in the Maximo iM-590 and the RE2, also. As long as I can hear the bass reasonably clearly that is alright with me. And I was told Shure Olives should help with the bass a little if I don't find it to my liking.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 98
from what i've read, er6i seem like the best in detail, tone, and separation for the price. the only reason you wouldn't pick these is if you really want to feel bass, but since this doesn't seem to be an issue for you, er6i sounds perfect for you.

an additional note, i have the e2c and i wouldn't recommend them unless all you want is a super indestructible chord, haha

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 98
For the price ER6i has amazing treble clarity. As much as other IEM's costing 4-5 times as much. The drawback is that the bass is on the weak side and they are on the cold/analytical side. But if I only had $60-70 to spend on an IEM ER6i would be at the top of the list.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 98
Yeah I just want to hear the bass, so I guess the ER6i maybe the right one. I was just kind of worried about durability and build. Out of curiosity what about the ER4 line or the HF5(which oddly enough cost the same as the ER6i, 150usd on their site).

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 98
I highly recommend the er-4. They are beastly in terms of treble extension, detail, clarity, instrument seperation, and sound isolation. They reproduce acoustic sounds very accurately and are great with hyper detailed electronic music and classical. Again, you can't feel the bass too much, but with things that close to my eardrums, I don't really want to, haha. I easily preferred them to e500s, which cost about 2x as much. I think they can be had for about for about $180.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 98
Out of low end Shure, ER6i, iM590 and RE2, I prefer iM590 more. Beside the fact that iM590 has a bit sibilant if you listen to it at high volume (not a good thing anyway), it definitely sound better and more balanced than the rest of the group.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 98
Never hear the HF5 yet. Yes, SCL2 is the low end of Shure line-up.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #11 of 98
I read that the hf2 and hf5 are highly similar to the ER4P, and besides the different housing they are manufactured to lower tolerances (in terms of target accuracy %) to be able to hit such a low price. The sound signature is pure Etymotic for sure, they sound very close to the ER4P.

FWIW my iM716 had the soul of the ER4 (I had an ER4 before I owned the iM716), and I like my $29.99 Apple In-Ear Headphones with remote and mic more. It offers clarity and neutrality.

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixteh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lower-end shures are regarded poorly here. I don't have personal listening experience with either (er4p's yes, er6i's no) but if you deal with a slightly bass-light set of phones the er6i's will suit you fine. Alternatively you can grab the RE2's with a similarly neutral/cold sound signature for ~$40.

With all due respect, it doesn't strike me as fair or productive to make sweepingly dismissive statements regarding what you claim other people think about headphones you say you've never heard.

OP, I think the SCL2 are worth considering -- I used them happily every day for over two years -- although the ER6i are certainly great too. They do lack the bass though, and I find their fit to be less than perfect and their cables annoyingly thin. Startlingly clear mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back