Shure SRH750DJ and Audio Technica M50 for portable use????
Mar 9, 2011 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

cris0631

Head-Fier
Does anyone here use these headphones portable use?

I have the Shure SRH840s. They are annoying to wear around the neck. I feel like I'm wearing a neck brace. And that coiled cable gets in my nerves too.

Anyways!...How do the SRH750DJ and the ATH-M50 feel around the neck?

Can someone please take a picture of either headphones around their neck...or both. I can't find any on the interweb.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 52
If you don't like the Shures for portable use, I doubt you'll like the M50s. They also have a coiled cable unless you buy the uncoiled version and wearing around the neck takes some getting used to. I would take a picture, but I'm too lazy.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 52
If you don't like the Shures for portable use, I doubt you'll like the M50s. They also have a coiled cable unless you buy the uncoiled version and wearing around the neck takes some getting used to. I would take a picture, but I'm too lazy.

Loving your honesty there Cykull!

I'm quite sure I will get some stick for saying this, but I really can't understand the wearing of full sized cans for portable use. Shurly the great things about IEMs is their portability and even if you don't get on with one style there are so many out there, also does no one feel a little silly sitting on a bus wearing Dj or home hifi headphones?

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 52

Quote:
Quote:

Loving your honesty there Cykull!

I'm quite sure I will get some stick for saying this, but I really can't understand the wearing of full sized cans for portable use. Shurly the great things about IEMs is their portability and even if you don't get on with one style there are so many out there, also does no one feel a little silly sitting on a bus wearing Dj or home hifi headphones?

No, not during the winter when you wear a hood.
When you wear a hood over your head with your full sized cans underneath, it actually makes you look really cool.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 52

Quote:
Thanks cyskull.

No problem.

Quote:
Actually i like the looks of full size better they just look kick ass.

I'm going to start using mine as portables too. I just tied the part of the cable that I'm going to put in my pocket. I also love the look of full size cans which is why I am against earbuds or clip-ons.

Mar 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 52
I use my m50s around town. I really have no issues putting them around my neck because of the 180 degree swiveling earcups, I just lay them flat on my collar bone with the cushion down. I could not use them on the go without the coiled cable though. 3m of straight chord would drive me insane, the coil consolidates it to my preferred length (about 4.5 feet). It really all depends on personal preference as far as full/iem goes. I prefer my full size cans.

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 52
Thanks borg. That what I thought about doing also. Since the 750DJ swivel too I'm guessing I can wear them on my neck also. Can anyone with the 750DJ confirm this for me?

I'm leaning more towards the 750DJ since I already have the SRH840s and they look almost identical. I'm guessing sound wise they are pretty identical too.
From what I've read the 750DJ are more fun to listen to. The M50s would probably would pick every imperfection since they are studio monitors, just like my 840s. My 840s sound great but they sound better if you have some high quality tracks.

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 52

Quote:
Thanks borg. That what I thought about doing also. Since the 750DJ swivel too I'm guessing I can wear them on my neck also. Can anyone with the 750DJ confirm this for me?

I'm leaning more towards the 750DJ since I already have the SRH840s and they look almost identical. I'm guessing sound wise they are pretty identical too.
From what I've read the 750DJ are more fun to listen to. The M50s would probably would pick every imperfection since they are studio monitors, just like my 840s. My 840s sound great but they sound better if you have some high quality tracks.

i own the shure srh840 right now and i used to own the srh750dj's and i will tell you sound quality wise they sound nearly identical except that the 750djs have way more bass and have a recessed mid range which makes them worse for rock. in regards to using either port ably i found no problems with wearing my old 750djs around my neck. they were a little uncomfortable but i got used to it. but i actually prefer wearing the srh840s around my neck as they are very cushiony. although they do restrict my neck movements a fair amount.

Mar 10, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 52

Quote:
i own the shure srh840 right now and i used to own the srh750dj's and i will tell you sound quality wise they sound nearly identical except that the 750djs have way more bass and have a recessed mid range which makes them worse for rock. in regards to using either port ably i found no problems with wearing my old 750djs around my neck. they were a little uncomfortable but i got used to it. but i actually prefer wearing the srh840s around my neck as they are very cushiony. although they do restrict my neck movements a fair amount.

Really? I was thinking since the cups fold flat they would be more portable than the 840s....

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 52

Quote:

Really? I was thinking since the cups fold flat they would be more portable than the 840s....

they may fold but unlike a pair of cheapies they fold big and can be a little bit of an annoyance. also the pads are more stiff that they can be a little uncomfortable. just my opinion and i am pretty sure a lot of people on here will agree. the 840s are often considered uncomfortable but i find them very comfortable and not heavy at all. but it also depends on who you are.

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 52
M50s are very "neckable." They can lay flat against your chest and the headband extends pretty far down. So yeah. I don't use them portably though; they're just too big for my liking in that regard and I also have the straight cable version which you could jump rope with while wearing the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back