Shure SRH750DJ and Audio Technica M50 for portable use????
Mar 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #16 of 52
UPDATE:

I decided to get the M50S (Straight Cable). I made this decision after learning that the 750DJs break easily at the headband, where you adjust the phones. I originally wanted the coiled cable but I learned that the straight cable can be pretty portable. You can braid the cable onto itself. They are comfortable enough. I can wear them around my neck easily. Here's some pics of my M50S. Thanks for all the reply peeps.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #17 of 52

Quote:
UPDATE:

I decided to get the M50S (Straight Cable). I made this decision after learning that the 750DJs break easily at the headband, where you adjust the phones. I originally wanted the coiled cable but I learned that the straight cable can be pretty portable. You can braid the cable onto itself. They are comfortable enough. I can wear them around my neck easily. Here's some pics of my M50S. Thanks for all the reply peeps.

i never heard any stories on the srh750dj headphones snapping. but when i owned them i felt that they were built cheaply out of plastic of lower grade. where did you read this?

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #18 of 52
The SRH750s are not portable at all IMO. If you wear them on your beck, it feels like one of those things you have to wear when you break it (collar?). If you put them in a backpack, and try to fold them, soon enough you'll notice the paint will chip off on the contact point. These are good headphones to take from point A to point B and have little transportation in between, or to just wear around the house without bothering anyone with your amazing taste in music (I'm guessing). For portable use, check out the portable use section (yes it was a joke), they isolate pretty well in most cases, especially if you use IEMs and this problem will never come up.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #19 of 52
Wow man that is awesome!
Can anyone teach me how to braid a cable onto itself? Please?!?

Here is another picture! But it is different. I like your braid better. How how?!

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:
M50s are very "neckable."

Nice coinage.

Quote:
... I also have the straight cable version which you could jump rope with while wearing the headphones.

biggrin.gif

cris0631: Those braided M50s are very dread.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #22 of 52

Quote:
i never heard any stories on the srh750dj headphones snapping. but when i owned them i felt that they were built cheaply out of plastic of lower grade. where did you read this?

On Amazon.com I think. I own the 840. I think that since they are both from Shure the quality would be the same. From comparing the two. The M50 is built better. Anyways, I'm glad I went with the M50S :D.

Quote:
+1 please show us how to braid like that, id love to do that on my m50's

It actually took me a while to get it the way I want it. Or maybe it's just my ocd. :p
But it is actually very easy. I'll upload some pics later tonight so you guys get an idea on how i did it.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #25 of 52
Thanks for the link, that'll help for when I take out my M50s with the straight cable. It's neater than just bundling the cable up with a twist-tie

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #29 of 52

Quote:
Really digging the cable braid, but I find myself wondering if that's going to damage anything in the long-term

I don't really think it will damage anything as long as you don't braid it too tightly.
I would say cris0631 has it perfect while NRgz28 may have it a little tight.
And yes, I really feel like doing it as well. I will do it once I start using it for portable use but right now I got em hooked up to my PC. I will possibly do it on other headphones though.

*edit` Cris, you should make a new thread that shows a complete guide how to do it since I couldn't find anything on single cable braiding on Head-fi via search.

*edit` #2 Okay, so I decided to practice on my external hard drive power source (looks like a laptop charger) and started braiding it and I was completely confused at first, but then i managed to get the braids started, and from there it was common sense in a matter of seconds.

I got 1 side done, the other side is just getting started
So Here is a picture:

Mar 16, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #30 of 52

Quote:
Just had my wife do it for me... since I can't do this kindastuff....  came out looking very nice !! :)

Looks good. I I finished mine off by putting a little heat-shrink tubing on end.

Quote:
Really digging the cable braid, but I find myself wondering if that's going to damage anything in the long-term

It will look wriggly if you unbraid it....I'm thinking it will be actually stronger with braid.

Quote:
I don't really think it will damage anything as long as you don't braid it too tightly.
I would say cris0631 has it perfect while NRgz28 may have it a little tight.
And yes, I really feel like doing it as well. I will do it once I start using it for portable use but right now I got em hooked up to my PC. I will possibly do it on other headphones though.

*edit` Cris, you should make a new thread that shows a complete guide how to do it since I couldn't find anything on single cable braiding on Head-fi via search.

You think I should?...The process is pretty simple. The link should provide all you need to know. I did mine the right way through the tutorial.  When you're braiding it, you can easily see if you made a mistake b/c it'll start to twist around if you do. OR, you can get a lady friend to do it for you! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back