Shure SRH440 Vs SRH840
Dec 13, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #16 of 44

I have both the 7506, and the 840's.

The 840's are more opened, and reveal more detail, and are definitely worth the extra money.

The 7506 are more portable --if that is what you need.

The 7506 are good for the money, but definitely not on par with the 840's.

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #17 of 44

Quote:
Quote:
i really confused.
is it really worth more than doubling the budget (from 45$ for the 7506 to about 100$ for the 440 + comfertable earpads)?
from what i found in the forum about the 7506 i found they are pretty nice and fits studio needs...so what would you suggest ?

Hi Parkinson.

I auditioned the 7506 as well and I chose the SRH440 due to the build quality differences. Not that the 7506 is built poorly (quite the opposite really), I just liked the physical looks of the SRH440 as it felt more substantial and meatier than the 7506.  Also, despite the fact that I own the MDR-SA5000, I hate Sony with a passion, and I try to avoid them whenever possible. 

FWIW though, the 7506 did sound really good to my ears and it measures fairly well in terms of flatness.  If I was on the prowl for a closed full-size budget headphone, the 7506 / v6 would be on my hit-list for sure. 

There is a particular reason for you avoiding sony ?

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 44

Quote:
i really confused.
is it really worth more than doubling the budget (from 45$ for the 7506 to about 100$ for the 440 + comfertable earpads)?
from what i found in the forum about the 7506 i found they are pretty nice and fits studio needs...so what would you suggest ?

that price you are talking about is for a FAKE PAIR of 7506
eek.gif
  watch out!, the original cost $80.00 approx and if you decide to pull the plug, get them from amazon or places like Beach Camera, of BH photo...

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #20 of 44
440 and 840 are very very similar sounding.
But

440 a bit of heavier,punch,bite on bass 840 has better tone though but the 840 can have more weight at times too.
840 has more separation of instruments.and more natural sounding.
440 is more bunch in at times,sounds more upfront, a slight bits of more treble at times.
While the 840 would sound slightly more laid back and smoother.

You could find people who would prefer 440 for its bit more lively sound and some would prefer the 840.

The MDR V6 is just a ton of treble and pretty much that's it there is literally no mids at all it's extremely sterile and void of musical essence and pathetic bass.

I really don't know how the 440/840 would work for mixing I guess you could make good sounding music with them but I'm not sure.
Me personally I would probably use a higher up Ultrasone Pro model if I was ever going to work on music production with headphones they just seem they would work really well.

If you live in the USA you might be able to score the Shure's at a really good price.
www.jr.com call them you can get the 440's usually for $69.99 new
The SRH 840 have gone as low as $129.99 I heard but its not always that low.

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #21 of 44
damnit...the sellers in ebay who sales the V6 for ~45$ have a really good feedback. The thought that they might be fake never came up to me. I guess I need to some more money and go for the 440 or the 840. Are you sure there is no other good pair of headphones which will cost less and will do the work ? my wallet is really (really!) tight right now...

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #22 of 44
Just red about the ATH-M40FS, seems really nice.

what can you tell me about them ?
i saw them on ebay for 50$ + shipping, is it a fake ?
How do they stand against the Shure's models ?

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #23 of 44
The ATH-M40 FS is not very popular if I am correct so the prices are probably going down as the M50 is now more popular. Some online stores or audio related stores might still sell the M40 FS.

Question, do you like it when you hear the detail a 'studio' headphone gives you? Others find it distracting and too revealing. It is a preference. I just listened to Björks first album with the CD900 ST on my head and it was wonderful. The CD900 ST is very revealing of bad recordings.

I used to have a MDR V6 but despite its clarity it was too flawed. 

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #24 of 44
The things im looking for are basicly : clarity, good instruments seperation, good SQ, comfortablity and the option to do of that without the need of a pre-amp.

Im just a starter in the whole tracking and mixing business.
Im working at home for now and i start to studie sound engineering soon.
Headphones which considered mid level will probably satisfy my needs.

Do you think the M40FS will do ?

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #25 of 44
I had the m30's a few years back the they were horrible. FWIR the m40 is very similar. You might look into the Equation RP21 though I don't know what the going price for them is at present. As the saying goes, 'sorry about your wallet'. How about the hd280? They used to be very popular. Another idea: put a Wanted notice on the for sale forum here for a used sony v6/7506 or shure 440. State that it must be authentic and you might just come up with a decent set. Most forum members seem very honest and knowledgeable about their gear.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #26 of 44
Is there a reason for my dislike of Sony?  Sure.

They have some of the most ridiculous marketing tactics - let's just call them flat out lies.  When the PS3 vs Xbox 360 debate was ensuing several years ago during each console's launch period, PS3 would say anything (whether factual or not), to persuade consumers to buy the PS3.  Lies lies lies.

Also, build quality sucks on everything I've ever owned.  Big time.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #27 of 44
If you're producing music, then the 7506, srh840, ath-m40, and K240 studio will all be acceptable.  These are all headphones that you often find in music production, and they are all driven very well out of even the most basic production equipment.  Really, you will be happy with the sound of any of them. 

The Sony 7506 is seen in many recording studios, despite the fact that Sony sold the PS3 the way they did (I don't see this as relevant to how the Sony headphones perform. Besides, Sony definitely got their comeuppance in that the PS3 lags way behind the Wii and 360, and that many of their sales are just people that are wanting to buy a Blu-ray player and end up deciding that the small price premium is worth it to upgrade to a playstation.  Also, the Gran Turismo bungle cost them nicely, and it has met to rather underwhelming reviews.  Many of the car blogs recommend this game as a "don't buy, it isn't a finished product even after such an extended development period").  Don't judge headphones by their price, judge them by their performance. 

Overall, you'll find that, when you go to studios, they don't obsess over which particular headphone they are using, and which particular amp they're driving them out of.  Let that tell you something.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #28 of 44

The OP said that he intends not just to record, but to mix and master with the phones. There's a big difference between using phones for tracking/recording and using them for mixing. It makes sense that studios don't obsess about tracking phones, but studios DO obsess about the sound of the monitor speakers they use for mixing. They invest big bucks in room treatment as well. The OP seems to be looking for a set of phones to use in place of reference monitor speakers. He should to look for the most 'neutral'/flat phones he can afford. FWIR the 440's would fit the bill very well considering his limited budget. I wouldn't recommend some of the others for mixing since they're not as 'neutral'

Quote:
If you're producing music, then the 7506, srh840, ath-m40, and K240 studio will all be acceptable.  These are all headphones that you often find in music production, and they are all driven very well out of even the most basic production equipment.  Really, you will be happy with the sound of any of them. 

The Sony 7506 is seen in many recording studios, despite the fact that Sony sold the PS3 the way they did (I don't see this as relevant to how the Sony headphones perform. Besides, Sony definitely got their comeuppance in that the PS3 lags way behind the Wii and 360, and that many of their sales are just people that are wanting to buy a Blu-ray player and end up deciding that the small price premium is worth it to upgrade to a playstation.  Also, the Gran Turismo bungle cost them nicely, and it has met to rather underwhelming reviews.  Many of the car blogs recommend this game as a "don't buy, it isn't a finished product even after such an extended development period").  Don't judge headphones by their price, judge them by their performance. 

Overall, you'll find that, when you go to studios, they don't obsess over which particular headphone they are using, and which particular amp they're driving them out of.  Let that tell you something.

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #29 of 44

Quote:
The OP said that he intends not just to record, but to mix and master with the phones. There's a big difference between using phones for tracking/recording and using them for mixing. It makes sense that studios don't obsess about tracking phones, but studios DO obsess about the sound of the monitor speakers they use for mixing. They invest big bucks in room treatment as well. The OP seems to be looking for a set of phones to use in place of reference monitor speakers. He should to look for the most 'neutral'/flat phones he can afford. FWIR the 440's would fit the bill very well considering his limited budget. I wouldn't recommend some of the others for mixing since they're not as 'neutral'

I agree, I would purchase the SRH440 for neutral sound in a heart beat for mixing (already have). 

Here's a great article from SoundonSound regarding mixing phones:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm

And guess what, (drum roll).  The DT880, HD650, HD600 and K701 did very well (for open backs).  I searched long and hard for a neutral closed back phone and to be quite honest, some headphones like the MDR-7506 and the SRH440 are more neutral than their expensive competitors such as the DT770 and Pro900.  (based on measurement data / impressions). If I wanted to spend more money, one of the few headphones that still remains neutral is the K271.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 44
That was a great article. I remember being surprised that they preferred the shure 440 over it's more expensive sibling the 840 and also over the m50.. They also liked the sony 7509 a lot, but it's way over the OPs budget.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, I would purchase the SRH440 for neutral sound in a heart beat for mixing (already have). 

Here's a great article from SoundonSound regarding mixing phones:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm

And guess what, (drum roll).  The DT880, HD650, HD600 and K701 did very well (for open backs).  I searched long and hard for a neutral closed back phone and to be quite honest, some headphones like the MDR-7506 and the SRH440 are more neutral than their expensive competitors such as the DT770 and Pro900.  (based on measurement data / impressions). If I wanted to spend more money, one of the few headphones that still remains neutral is the K271.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back