Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Jul 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #1,592 of 2,282
I also find the 1440 brighter and cooler than the 1840. They mate well with warmer, darker combinations of my gear. They can get a bit hot with more neutral setups.

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #1,593 of 2,282
Quote:
Got my 1440s today. They're a steal. I think I might like them more than the 1840.

Quote:
There's no doubt the 1440 sounds more impressive on first listen than the 1840. I don't know how they'll fare in the long haul though. Will they be fatiguing and unusable for longer than 30 minutes?

Have to let them cook / compare more to know.

Quote:
I also find the 1440 brighter and cooler than the 1840. They mate well with warmer, darker combinations of my gear. They can get a bit hot with more neutral setups.

Summary of what's happened:

First comment was out of the box impression because of the 1440's brighter, more upfront and faster sound (the last point is definitely a good thing).
Second was after an hour of listening and third comment after 10 hours of burn-in.

Now, these have been fried for 24+ hours and I think the 1840 are the more balanced of the two, and more deserving of the flagship title. They soundstage and image better than the 1440 as well. I do feel the 1440 has the advantage when it comes to speed/transient response, but they're a bit hot up top and definitely less forgiving. Good thing is the treble is clean and detailed. Its peak doesn't seem as narrow as the T1's, but it's also less warm.

I can see how some would prefer the 1440 more in short sessions, such as at a meet or store. They remind me very much of a slightly refined, open 940 with a little less bass. For me though, the 1840 is still the best in the Shure lineup.

It has only been a day really so my thoughts may change a bit. We'll see...

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #1,595 of 2,282
Quote:

Summary of what's happened:

First comment was out of the box impression because of the 1440's brighter, more upfront and faster sound (the last point is definitely a good thing).
Second was after an hour of listening and third comment after 10 hours of burn-in.

Now, these have been fried for 24+ hours and I think the 1840 are the more balanced of the two, and more deserving of the flagship title. They soundstage and image better than the 1440 as well. I do feel the 1440 has the advantage when it comes to speed/transient response, but they're a bit hot up top and definitely less forgiving. Good thing is the treble is clean and detailed. Its peak doesn't seem as narrow as the T1's, but it's also less warm.

I can see how some would prefer the 1440 more in short sessions, such as at a meet or store. They remind me very much of a slightly refined, open 940 with a little less bass. For me though, the 1840 is still the best in the Shure lineup.

It has only been a day really so my thoughts may change a bit. We'll see...

Shahrose,

What amp(s) are you listening with?

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,596 of 2,282
Quote:

Shahrose,

What amp(s) are you listening with?

So far the Hi and the Peak w/ various tubes to try and get a better idea of the phone's signature. I would try the Beta but it beautifies the sound. Good for enjoying, not good for evaluating.

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,602 of 2,282
Haha, I don't mind.

I find I have to sit the headband WAY back on my head in order for them to fit right, but then they sit at an awkward angle and feel weird. If I try to wear them with the headband around the center of my head, the front half of the earcups don't even touch my head! When I flip them backwards, it fits perfect, just like any other headphone would. Very strange design by Shure IMO. Just glad the cables are detachable, or I'd be toast.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,603 of 2,282
Quote:
Haha, I don't mind.

I find I have to sit the headband WAY back on my head in order for them to fit right, but then they sit at an awkward angle and feel weird. If I try to wear them with the headband around the center of my head, the front half of the earcups don't even touch my head! When I flip them backwards, it fits perfect, just like any other headphone would. Very strange design by Shure IMO. Just glad the cables are detachable, or I'd be toast.

Just a suggestion, you can change the angle of the earpads by rotating them slightly.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #1,605 of 2,282
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, it's just the design of the headphone. And my head shape...

Hmm, I feel a modding project looming on the horizon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back