Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Dec 12, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #242 of 2,282
Forget the beats off the bat. And yes, the Denon will have better bass than the shures. But if you wait for the shures, expect to get something better overall

Quote:
no i wasn't ! , so the answer is...? 

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 12, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #243 of 2,282

Quote:
I'm with you on that, depending on how comfortable the set happens to be this time around.  I see some thin strips of padding on the new models that will carry340g.  Seems like massive pressure will be put on the most sensitive part of your head.  I really don't think it is a good idea at all, I think it is very poorly designed in the headband ( yet again ).  But this is head fi, the headband can be made of spikes and be laced with acid and you guys will still use it :)

Swbf, I enjoy reading your posts as they usually offer insight and a unique perspective.  What I don't enjoy, is the way you broadly categorize as fact your opinions on headphones and then state that anyone who doesn't agree is wrong.  In this, often times, subjective hobby there not many absolutes.  Comfort is not one of them.  Why?  We all have different shaped heads.  Even a headphone that is renowned for comfort, the DT880 for example, can be uncomfortable to some.  In the same vein a headphone that is not the last word on comfort(SR325is) can still be found to be fine for many.  I realize some headphone have better comfort features than others, but to categorically say that this manufacturer does or even deliberately, not make headphone comfortable at all, is wrong and a gross exaggeration. 

Not trying to pick a fight here, but before we condemn the new models as uncomfortable let's just wait and see how they actually fit.  Remember, it's innocent until proven otherwise.
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #244 of 2,282
Thanks for that support.  Thankfully, Head Fi is an open forum and a place for people to post their views, whether you enjoy my impressions on gear is irrelevant to me and I care more about the truth than what my personal subjective feelings are.  The Shure lineup in FACT has poor weight distribution and hardly any padding what so ever.  Images speak for themselves.  When someone tells me this is comfortable and that my view is subjective, I feel a funny tickling sensation in my tummy that eventually leads to me laughing and shaking my head, throwing my arms up in the air and smiling in the nicest way and finally saying "whatever floats your boat".

What I don't like is that you singled me out and not any of the last few people with some very subjective views as posted on just the last page of this thread.  It is nice to have the spotlight, but gets very annoying when someone actually implies a 340g set of headphones with a terrible headband design could actually be comfortable.  No real person in a mixing booth will actually wear a Shure headphone if they had the choice.  Why?  It is too big, too bulky, has an odd [ shape to the design itself, has almost no padding what so ever and actually has a giant rubber weight inside of it to add to the immense pressure put on the crown of your head. There is not a chance in hell I would ever use any of the Shures for an entire work day, 5 days a week when there are other much more suitable models out there that scream immense comfort and sound quality.  <3

p.s. I can condemn them before they are even released.  I've been in this game for way too long not to be able to spot such an obvious flaw in design.  That headband will feel awful, there is no doubt about it.  Shure is known to have moderate clamping force and based on what I think the materials used actually are, I feel the headband clamp factor will again be moderate.  Due to this, the clamp will not reduce the overall weighty feel and the distributed forces will be located right on those super thin little padded strips.  They are tiny and thin, they will not conform or crush down much to allow for a sinking in feeling.  They will be harsh on the top of your head.  Favorite this post so you can look back on it after they are released and see my prophecies came true  :D

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #245 of 2,282

Quote:
Forget the beats off the bat. And yes, the Denon will have better bass than the shures. But if you wait for the shures, expect to get something better overall

really!!! are you sure? well if that is true, that is Disappointing , i mean i don't understand is that company dumb?  why they will release new headphone that will cost three time the srh940,  what are they better than them three time ?. And can't be better then old headphone that been out 3 years ago  like d7000 or even lcd2 if that so why in the hell you release such thing , i mean come on !! are you people stupid to be interested in something new cost hell and can't be better than old ass headphone ? What IS GOING ON 

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #246 of 2,282

Quote:

really!!! are you sure? well if that is true, that is Disappointing , i mean i don't understand is that company dumb?  why they will release new headphone that will cost three time the srh940,  what are they better than them three time ?. And can't be better then old headphone that been out 3 years ago  like d7000 or even lcd2 if that so why in the hell you release such thing , i mean come on !! are you people stupid to be interested in something new cost hell and can't be better than old ass headphone ? What IS GOING ON 

You're so green!
wink.gif
  This is Head-fi my friend.  You'll find out soon enough that this hobby(like many others) is not very cost effective.
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #249 of 2,282
According to the specs on post #1 it is the srh1440 that weighs 343g. The srh1840 weighs 268g. 268g is almost right in between the srh750dj and srh840 weights according to the specs on shure's website.  In my experience, 268g seems like a good weight for a full size headphone. Heavy enough to feel solid, but still light enough to feel comfy. Whether or not it is actually comfortable to wear I think will vary from user to user.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #251 of 2,282
Once again, people who claim they have "non picky" heads, or that comfort doesn't matter if sound is good enough, are either people with small or normal sized heads, or people who don't wear headphones more than 8 hours continuously.

Let's hope it sounds good AND is comfortable for the ones here who have large heads and want their $1000 headphone to be at least as comfortable as a $200 HD600.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #252 of 2,282

Quote:
According to the specs on post #1 it is the srh1440 that weighs 343g. The srh1840 weighs 268g. 268g is almost right in between the srh750dj and srh840 weights according to the specs on shure's website.  In my experience, 268g seems like a good weight for a full size headphone. Heavy enough to feel solid, but still light enough to feel comfy. Whether or not it is actually comfortable to wear I think will vary from user to user.

This.  The 1440s (the heavier of the two) have a completely different headband, as shown in this picture from Shure's website:

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #253 of 2,282
Uncomfortable or not, these look bad-ass.

Quote:
This.  The 1440s (the heavier of the two) have a completely different headband, as shown in this picture from Shure's website:

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #254 of 2,282
A totally white 1440 with black grills and black cushions would be sweet! STORMTROOPER style 

stormtrooper.gif

M

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #255 of 2,282

Quote:
Once again, people who claim they have "non picky" heads, or that comfort doesn't matter if sound is good enough, are either people with small or normal sized heads, or people who don't wear headphones more than 8 hours continuously.

Let's hope it sounds good AND is comfortable for the ones here who have large heads and want their $1000 headphone to be at least as comfortable as a $200 HD600.

1. HD 600 is not $200 new. 

2. Holy crap why do you wear headphones for 8 hours straight? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back