Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Dec 11, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #214 of 2,283

Quote:
I am "Shure" they will sound amazing, all of shures latest gear has been very good...but as with Shure tradition it will be immensely uncomfortable as they really do not care in the slightest about your comfort.

Isn't that comfort assessment a little harsh?  While their headphone line is not the last word on comfort, they're not quite the uncomfortable beasts you make out to be.  I mean, they're not Grados.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #215 of 2,283
The problem is the headband. For people with small or medium heads, it's fine. For those with large skulls, it's rather terrible. The earpads are just fine. The clamping is just fine. The headband is what makes or breaks comfort for me. The SRH940 is just too small or not correctly designed for large heads, simple as that.

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #217 of 2,283
I gotta admit, those are perhaps the nicest pair of headphones I've seen.  They've found a way to take the styling of Beyers and the HD650 and make the best of both of their worlds.  Hopefully the materials are top notch too.  If it's a mix between a beyer and an HD650, then well, I'm all wallet!

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #219 of 2,283

Quote:

Lower treble (SRH1840) looks disturbing.

You're the expert graph man Purrin ~ looks fairly flat and promising to me up until the treble area where those peaks look a little
 ominous.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #221 of 2,283

Bad omens from the audio treble gods! 
smile.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #222 of 2,283

Quote:
Isn't that comfort assessment a little harsh?  While their headphone line is not the last word on comfort, they're not quite the uncomfortable beasts you make out to be.  I mean, they're not Grados.
wink.gif

Not in the slightest. Shure is known for implementing almost no padding inside their very heavy headphones. Have you seen the design of the new models?  340+ grams with thin headband rests with a really thin strip of padding.  THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY GRAMS of weight placed on two very VERY thin strips...the entire weight of the set will be placed on the crown of your noggin'...this is just silly to me.  As with the 840 having almost no padding what so ever and being one of the most poorly designed headbands of all time, as well as the 940 speed bumps and equal lack of padding, I have no clue why anyone would defend their comfort.  

The only problem with Grado comfort are the earpads.  Swap those pads for something from sennheiser or another brand and you've got an immensely comfortable set of headphones.  In fact, the most comfortable set of headphones I have ever worn was my 325i woodie with Sennheiser HD 485 replacement pads.  By far, the most comfortable listening experience I have ever had.  Nothing is wrong with Grado headbands, there are always things wrong with Shure headbands.   If anything, I should have been more harsh. :)

Edit:  It is important for those to know I love the Shure house sound.  I absolutely loved the 840 and 940 and all their sonic qualities but I rarely used them for having poorly designed headbands and overall lack of comfort qualities.  Once Shure gets a good designer who actually wears the thing he designs, I'll be a happy camper.

OWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!! 

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #223 of 2,283
I'm going to second the discomfort issue again. The unpadded headband on the 440's is utterly horrible. In fact, uncomfortable does not come anywhere near describing it. It is physically painful.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #224 of 2,283
im bald and i've never felt the headband was uncomfortable in the the least.
and im used to beyers.
they certainly aren't in that realm of comfort but its never bothered me.

i take more issue with the weight and topheavy-nes of the 840s

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #225 of 2,283

Quote:
im bald and i've never felt the headband was uncomfortable in the the least.
and im used to beyers.
they certainly aren't in that realm of comfort but its never bothered me.

i take more issue with the weight and topheavy-nes of the 840s

I have a full lions main and I have yet to find a headband uncomfortable in the slightest. Clamping force is a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back