Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jun 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #3,451 of 3,855
Quote:
I realized after looking some pics on the net, that my srh940 are also suffering from cracks that will spread.
I didn't used much my srh940.

This isn't my pic, the cracks on my srh940 are still small :

And more pics to be afraid , if you look at japanese amazon :

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B005EBAUOG/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_2?ie=UTF8&index=2&isremote=0

Unfortunately I cannot send mine for repair using warranty.
I've put some superglue.
Aaargh, my second pair of headphone suffering of cracks after the hd595, I'm a bit upset.
At least with the hd595 it took much more time.
Anyway, I have now my new hd800, for consolation.

Yes! I have this issue too. It's quite unfortunate. Mine looks like this too, at the verge of breaking off, or so it seems; it's been like this for the last 3 months.
You can't send yours in for repair with the warranty? :/

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #3,452 of 3,855
Quote:

Yes! I have this issue too. It's quite unfortunate. Mine looks like this too, at the verge of breaking off, or so it seems; it's been like this for the last 3 months.

It's a friend from  the US , while visiting me in Morocco,that took for me the srh940. Just too complicate to do anything where I  live.  I don't have any order receipt , nor the original packing to ask for warranty.
And I've already put some superglue & scotch on the cracks, this looks a bit ugly.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #3,453 of 3,855
No cracks on mine, thankfully.  

Even so, the 2 year warranty seems pretty generous.  It sounds like a lot of these defects are showing up well before the 2-year period is over.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #3,455 of 3,855
Damn, after these pictures, i'm not interested anymore in the SRH940, maybe i'll get the SRH1440 instead. I saw some unboxing videos from both headphones and looks like the build quality of the SRH1440 is way better, IMO.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #3,456 of 3,855
Loving my SRH-1440 :). Sonically speaking I think it is damn near perfect and it doesn't require an amp to get there but will benefit from one too. The only thing to consider is whether you need isolation or not. In any case all 3 of  Shure top of the line headphones are simply outstanding so you really can't go wrong.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #3,459 of 3,855
Quote:

Ya I got those cracks, and a few more. Sent them in for warranty and they sent me a brand new pair back. Super excited, after the 2 or so weeks of not listening to them I get to rediscover all my music again, and I really prefer them prior to burn in. They also say to send the headphones without any accessories, well they sent me an in box pair back so I have double accessories.
I almost forgive them using cheap plastic for their great warranty service.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #3,460 of 3,855
Quote:
Ya I got those cracks, and a few more. Sent them in for warranty and they sent me a brand new pair back. Super excited, after the 2 or so weeks of not listening to them I get to rediscover all my music again, and I really prefer them prior to burn in. They also say to send the headphones without any accessories, well they sent me an in box pair back so I have double accessories.
I almost forgive them using cheap plastic for their great warranty service.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613703/shure-srh-940-crack-and-their-service/15 

It's a one time replacement. :frowning2:

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #3,461 of 3,855
Yeah mine cracked too a while back. It's one of the reasons I can't really recommend the SRH940 any more, in addition to it being too uncomfortable in general for me. I think the headphone just wasn't designed for large heads, so the related structural stress causes both the cracking issue and the huge discomfort issues I had with it.

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #3,462 of 3,855
Quote:

I got a nice life out of mine and i don't really mind paying $30 dollars ever year and a half, i really like the sound signature and haven't found a single other headphones that fit my needs as good for a reasonable price.  I thinking though, i wonder if shure will sell me a replacement 1840 headband and i can put that on my 940. It would probably only be ~$80. It also give me an excuse to rewire them for balanced operation. 
But im pretty sure im the only one who shares this opinion. 940 are my final stop until i can afford a Stax 507(or better Stax) with a nice amp. Even then ill probably use my 940s often.

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #3,463 of 3,855
I have often thought about modify SRH940 for balanced. I actually think after my cable change on SRH940 the left and right is not exactly balanced now. I can sort of hear some sort of imbalance, possibly introduced by the small (very) wire going from left ear to the other.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #3,464 of 3,855
Quote:
I have often thought about modify SRH940 for balanced. I actually think after my cable change on SRH940 the left and right is not exactly balanced now. I can sort of hear some sort of imbalance, possibly introduced by the small (very) wire going from left ear to the other.

No, I can't see how you manage to hear it.There was people at begin of thread doing bakka mod, and unable to hear the difference, if done in a single cup.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #3,465 of 3,855
Quote:

Electricity travels at around 95% the speed of light, through copper cable, assuming the wire is thick enough for the current no to raise the resistance too much. There is almost no current to drive headphone drivers, so we can safely assume we're fine on that front.
The speed of light is approx 3x10^8 m/s
The length of the wire in question is maybe 50cm. (0.5m)
so the time this takes to travel is
0.5/(3x10^8 x 0.95) = 1.75x10^-9s to travel that distance of wire.

Sorry, but there is no way any human can distinguish a lag of ~2 nano seconds. it just won't happen.
Physics says you're imagining things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back