Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Feb 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #3,211 of 3,855

Quote:

Hi everyone ^^

So hey the SRH-1440 is $399 at amazon.com, I wonder how it compares to our beloved SRH-940.

That's a pretty good price.  I'm definitely intersted in hearing reviews. 

Either way, I've already got the DT880 as my open cans, so I won't be in the market.

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3,212 of 3,855
Somewhat related...

Is anyone beginning to think that the 840 is the outlier in regards to Shure's "house sound"

Edit - I guess we'll know more once we hear something about the 1440

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #3,213 of 3,855
Quote:
Somewhat related...

Is anyone beginning to think that the 840 is the outlier in regards to Shure's "house sound"

It looks that way on their full size 'phones at least...

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #3,214 of 3,855
Feb 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #3,215 of 3,855

Quote:
Just bought some hd25 II-1. It doesn't have the amazing clarity of the srh940, but so much more fun... I  was really missing something. Something easy on ears, with great bass, no fuss...
Listening to 2pac, michael jackson
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I  understand why bcasey bashed the vocals of the srh940 , after listening to the hd25 II 1...
Because the vocals on the hd25 II 1 are so great, it is so much easier to figure out what a singer is exactly singing with them, nice clarity and forward presentation of vocals ....

Then again, it isn't a fair comparison vocal-wise. The HD25 has an irritating lower mid/upper bass hole, so bassy strings really sound... empty.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #3,216 of 3,855

Quote:

Hi everyone ^^

So hey the SRH-1440 is $399 at amazon.com, I wonder how it compares to our beloved SRH-940.

I haven't heard the SRH1440 yet, but I've spent a bit of time comparing the SRH1840 and SRH940. The SRH940 is more forward and aggressive sounding compared to the newer flagship. From the comparisons I've read, the SRH1440 is more forward and aggressive sounding than the SRH1840 as well. This leads me to believe the SRH1440 will have more in common with the SRH940, at least in terms of tonality and presentation. It's probably closer to an "open SRH940" than the SRH1840 is.

Obviously that's just speculation on my part.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #3,217 of 3,855

Quote:

Then again, it isn't a fair comparison vocal-wise. The HD25 has an irritating lower mid/upper bass hole, so bassy strings really sound... empty.

With the hd25 it's easier for me  to focus on vocals, and figure out the meaning.
Perfect to practice my ability to understand spoken english, when watching videos too.
I don't know for the bass hole, it's probably the best bass I've heard yet, I  like it better than the bass of my senn IE7. The bass manage to provide some thump, without being bloated, which is a kind of performance.

Also I  was quite happy to find the hd25-II 1 sold in my country (Morocco), usually  I  get stuff with the help of people that travel.  I  found the denon d5000 too, but it was sold at twice the price , let's say 1200$
frown.gif
.  Same curse for the d2000.  The hd800 was reasonably priced though, probably because no one will buy them there.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #3,218 of 3,855
With the hd25 it's easier for me  to focus on vocals, and figure out the meaning.
Perfect to practice my ability to understand spoken english, when watching videos too.

I don't know for the bass hole, it's probably the best bass I've heard yet, I  like it better than the bass of my senn IE7. The bass manage to provide some thump, without being bloated, which is a kind of performance.

Also I  was quite happy to find the hd25-II 1 sold in my country (Morocco), usually  I  get stuff with the help of people that travel.  I  found the denon d5000 too, but it was sold at twice the price , let's say 1200$ :frowning2: .  Same curse for the d2000.  The hd800 was reasonably priced though, probably because no one will buy them there.

I agree completely. After having both the HD25 and the srh940, I much prefer the hd25's.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #3,219 of 3,855

Quote:
I agree completely. After having both the HD25 and the srh940, I much prefer the hd25's.

I  prefer the vocals on the hd25 , but not everything. The srh940 has still an impressive clarity (and even better after modding) .  The hd25 put me in a good mood
L3000.gif
, I  go back to them just because of that.

EDIT : Still listening to Infected Mushrooms is better on the srh940 
wink.gif
, there's a gap ...

EDIT2: mmm finally not

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #3,220 of 3,855
Had these for a while now (3 months or so) and have listened to at least 200-300 hours on them, and I'm finding them quite bassy, the bass is alot deeper and louder than I'm used to.
Is this just because I'm used to very bass light reproductions of music from previous speakers and headphones? or are they really too bass heavy fro my liking?

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #3,221 of 3,855

Quote:
Had these for a while now (3 months or so) and have listened to at least 200-300 hours on them, and I'm finding them quite bassy, the bass is alot deeper and louder than I'm used to.
Is this just because I'm used to very bass light reproductions of music from previous speakers and headphones? or are they really too bass heavy fro my liking?

I never necessarily found them bass heavy, although the sub bass response was pretty healthy... unfortunately it was complimented with a little bit of an unnaturally suppressed midbass, making the bass sound a bit wonky to me.

The extension was very good though... maybe you're just not used to that? (Just throwing that out there, I'm not claiming to have any idea of your experience)

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #3,222 of 3,855

Quote:
I never necessarily found them bass heavy, although the sub bass response was pretty healthy... unfortunately it was complimented with a little bit of an unnaturally suppressed midbass, making the bass sound a bit wonky to me.

The extension was very good though... maybe you're just not used to that? (Just throwing that out there, I'm not claiming to have any idea of your experience)

Well my experience with speakers and headphones is very limited, and I had my Samson Sr-850's for quite a while, so I got used to how they sound alot, so if they're very light on bass, that would explain it. It's just interesting that people harp on about bass all the time, but now I can actually hear the bass properly I can see how all the drums and the bass sit in mixes, where as before they never made much of an impact at all so I wouldn't even think about them.....

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #3,223 of 3,855

Quote:
Well my experience with speakers and headphones is very limited, and I had my Samson Sr-850's for quite a while, so I got used to how they sound alot, so if they're very light on bass, that would explain it. It's just interesting that people harp on about bass all the time, but now I can actually hear the bass properly I can see how all the drums and the bass sit in mixes, where as before they never made much of an impact at all so I wouldn't even think about them.....

The srh940 , is able to deliver some serious bass; but sometimes the bass look absent.
Try to listen to "futterman's rule" by the beastie boys.
I believe the "bass hole" is  around 80hz.

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #3,224 of 3,855

Quote:
I believe the "bass hole" is  around 80hz.

Starts around 60Hz and extends through to 300Hz - really affected the entire mid-bass for me.

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #3,225 of 3,855
Compared to the Denon line the Shure's have weak bass but the soundstage and clarity are awesome, I was ready to throw the towel in on my 940's until I popped in some Miles Davis:Kind of Blue, the sound was beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back