Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jul 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #826 of 3,855
Well the impedance of the 940s is 42ohms while the 840s are 44 ohms. Some may think they drive fine (in all pracitcalities they kinda do) but its just not as powerful. When I listen to my 840s with my ipod w/o the E11 it just feels weak. Although, IMO i think unamped they are decent for jazz and rock (but feel like something is "missing" that extra "oomf" to be exact) but otherwise they just dont cut it for anything else to my ears.  So I guess you could call your shot on the basis of that
smile_phones.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #827 of 3,855

Quote:
Well the impedance of the 940s is 42ohms while the 840s are 44 ohms. Some may think they drive fine (in all pracitcalities they kinda do) but its just not as powerful. When I listen to my 840s with my ipod w/o the E11 it just feels weak. Although, IMO i think unamped they are decent for jazz and rock (but feel like something is "missing" that extra "oomf" to be exact) but otherwise they just dont cut it for anything else to my ears.  So I guess you could call your shot on the basis of that
smile_phones.gif

have you heard the 440s unamped? i heard the 840s vs the 940s in a store but they were running off a single central source and not an ipod or mp3 player. they didnt have the 440s so i couldnt A/B the 440s vs the 940s.

im happy with my 440's oomph unamped.... just dont want to spend $300 and have less than what im getting now.

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #828 of 3,855
Unfortunately I havent, actually since I checked the 440s and the are 44ohms Im guessing youd probably like the 940s unamped I think you'll just have to browse and ask around some more to see if they are right  for you.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #829 of 3,855
Quote:Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor 

"@baka1969
any updates on the modded srh840 and srh940. im curious as i might mod my 840 if it makes it faster. is it possible to decrease the mid bass bloat?"

I haven't had much time to run more experiments but will set aside more time tomorrow. I'll update everyone when I have a chance to listen. I don't suspect I'll get any dramatic transformations.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #830 of 3,855
If anyone else thinks these are too bright and brilliant sounding on a lot of recordings, especially when some ass is just whaling on cymbal, try EQing down about 3db at 10k. Only way I've been able to EQ them without wrecking their sound, and to me it makes them sound perfect. Try it!

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #831 of 3,855

Quote:
Or we are adjusting to it's sonic character. I also noticed a bit of a smoother, less bright/speedy character after two weeks. Then I listened to some other phones for a few days. When I went back the the 940, it sounded like it did initially.

You're right! Got the exact same effect by coincidence after listening to some music all day long and then switched back to the 940 just for one song. Their sound was nearly the exact same bright sound like in the day where I unboxed them... So I suppose it's the listening-habit which makes them feel sound neutral, accurate and comfortable. Nothing wrong here for me. I love them!
smile.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #833 of 3,855
I got a pair of DT150 over the SRH940. The real strange thing about the Shure is that after burning-in its sound signature just tend to disappear. I have experienced with my old SRH840 and with 940s one burnt-in demo pair and a brand new one. The demo pair sounds noticeable less bright and speedy sounding, the bass stayed around the same. I liked their brand new sound signature, but burnt in it is pretty unspectacular sounding imo. Also with their silver plastic finishing + swivel earcups, it is less well built than the 840, even the comfort is greatly improved. With silver, the horrible plastics mold seams are very visible and is a total eyesore, it also makes me wonder if the silver paint is going to come off in time or not.

For me, the DT150 have around the same detail and great treble like the SRH940 but have great bass and neutral mids. I found their bass one of the best I have hear from a closed back dynamics, and its build... a tank made in Germany. Compared to the poorly built Shure made in China it is hard for me to choose the Shure over the Beyer.

The SRH940 is still more easily to pick up more micro details than the Beyer for sure and doesn't need an amp to drive too, where the DT150 is a must.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #834 of 3,855
While you've made nay valid points on the Shures vs. your newly acquired Beyers, I'm going to disagree with you on the supposed shoddy build quality(as you called it) of the Shures.  It's true the Shure line appearance likely won't be mistaken for something expensive or luxurious, but there is no denying its quality build and durability.

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #835 of 3,855
can anyone tell me do the srh940 pads fit on the srh840 i really would much rather have the velour it is really my only complaint with those cans and a couple months from now the 940's will also be added to my arsenal

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #836 of 3,855
I agree that the plastics they used for the 840's feels (and looks) better and superior. I kinda like the 840's headband more. However, some parts look studier (the articulated ones, mostly) on the 940's.
I'll add that the comfort doesn't really look improved: I have the exact same problem with the headband hurting the top of my head (it disappeared over time, now the 840's are quite comfy; hopefully the 940's will take the same road).

What amount of burning in time are you talking about Ra97or?

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #837 of 3,855
They fit atomikkid. But reviews were saying that 840s with the 940 velour pads made them sound bad. Same with the 940s with 840 leather pads. I dont remember exactly what aspects of the sound make them bad but a few pages back. I asked the same question and Baka answered me but told me the aspects that makes them bad. I would just go bAck a few pages but I'm on my iPod touch and for some reason headfi is very slow with safari on here, guess it's just a heavy site.

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #838 of 3,855
http://cdn.head-fi.org/1/1c/1cb4ad66_IMG-20110724-00166.jpg

I finally added the putty to the inside of the cups of both the 840 and 940. I honestly, my expectations weren't much. I was certainly surprised by the results. First off they turned the 840 into bass monsters. It you want a bassy headphone this is one way to go.

Let me move to what has happened to the 940. This is the 940 thread after all. To my ears I hear a few things. The bass seems to have a bit more impact after I added the putty. Not near the 840 level but I'd say the difference is about 25% closer to the 840. It doesn't seem to have muddied or blurred the bass in any way. Just a little added ooumph in the mid bass region.

Another thing adding the putty also seems to have done was tame the highs just a bit. They don't seems as peaky as before. This is a slight change and not dramatic enough to call it a different signature.

I never though the 940 are the detail monsters that others have claimed. Especially when I compare them, unfairly or not, to flagship headphones like the HD800, HE6, LCD2 or even the T1. But I will say the putty didn't hurt nor help in detail retrieval.

I will say, however that the 940 with the putty is just a bit warmer than it is without. I kind of like the effect and plan to keep it there for now.

I may try other things like adding fiber fill. That will be at a later date though.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #839 of 3,855
Can you take pics of where you put the putty. Or even just make a quick mod thread for it? I love bass and Id love to do your mod but I dont wanna mess anything up and would love to have a step by step instruction. Also what kind of putty did you use? I'm willing to go the store tommorow and do this mod haha.

Extreme Detail + Bass = Sex in my ears haha.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #840 of 3,855
Quote:Originally Posted by T-Willi 

"Can you take pics of where you put the putty. Or even just make a quick mod thread for it? I love bass and Id love to do your mod but I dont wanna mess anything up and would love to have a step by step instruction. Also what kind of putty did you use? I'm willing to go the store tommorow and do this mod haha.
Extreme Detail + Bass = Sex in my ears haha."

Click the link in my post above yours and you'll see the pic.

I've been listening to the 940 all night and have to say I like th mod. Any resonance issues there could have possibly been are non existent. Also, when I said that it smoothed any treble peaks I don't want to imply it recessed the highs. Not at all.

What I think the putty does do, in a nutshell, is add a bit of bass impact and gives it a little more warmth overall without blurring or bloating the presentation.

If attempting the mod please use caution and take your time as it seems pretty fragile in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back