Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jun 4, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #391 of 3,855
It's disappoints me when headphone companies release DJ headphones that appear to be based on the Sony V700DJ. It is, in my opinion, poorly designed and overly blingy.

I expect Beyerdynamic to have far more success with the DT 1350 for DJ use than their Sony V700DJ clone, the DJX-1.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #392 of 3,855
Overly blingy?
It is almost the anti-thesis of blingy, lol.

Perhaps you wouldn't be saying that if it wasn't grey.  I said the same thing just looking at those pics that appear to be taken from an angle, but looking at it from the side, it is not V700-like except that they are both mostly some shade of grey.

It is apparent that 940 is aesthetically more like 840 than V700.

prod_img_srh940_l.jpg

srh840-0.jpg

2593.jpg

Panasonic and Pioneer make headphones that resemble V700 more.

I think some of Shure's in-ears are a little on the blingy side, like SE530.  Monster and Skullcandy try to come up with blingy-looking stuff.  I think DT1350/T50p looks really cool, I love the look.

Anyway, is(was) V700 that popular of a DJ headphone?

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #394 of 3,855

Quote:
How does the 940 compare to the HD650? 

i think a major difference is that the shures are closed back while the sennheiser hd650 is open back. i would imagine the hd650 would have a greater soundstage.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #395 of 3,855
Quote:
i think a major difference is that the shures are closed back while the sennheiser hd650 is open back. i would imagine the hd650 would have a greater soundstage.

Besides the obvious... 
wink_face.gif

And regarding the soundstage, the HD650 has very little. I wouldn't be surprised if the SRH940 beat it in that area. I would imagine the SRH940 being more neutral.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #396 of 3,855
those were assumptions based on what i read as i haven't auditioned either one.

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #397 of 3,855
Fellas, are we really responding to a poster's question and offering opinions on headphones that we've not heard?  I'm not sure this adds much if any value to the site.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #398 of 3,855

Quote:
Besides the obvious... 
wink_face.gif

And regarding the soundstage, the HD650 has very little. I wouldn't be surprised if the SRH940 beat it in that area. I would imagine the SRH940 being more neutral.

Well, I highly doubt this. I don't think I've ever heard of a closed headphone that had a better soundstage than a fully open one.
The HD-650's soundstage can be small, but it improved with better amps and different cables. On my Asgard it was kind of small.
I still do think it's not that large and even the HD-600 had a larger soundstage.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #399 of 3,855
I think I'm going to buy these next and do a comparison of them against my DJ100 and KRK KNS-6400. I bet the DJ100 will still be my favorite closed headphone for female vocals, but maybe I'll be shocked and surprised.
The SRH-840 lost out to my DJ100 and KRK KNS-8400, so the 940 better be good!
regular_smile%20.gif

So..on a scale of 1 to 10 what is the comfort?
How about the level of detail? Does it have more detail than say the DT-880 or K702? I imagine way more than the 840.

What's the cheapest price on these? I may sell my K702 to get a pair. I almost never use my K702 anymore.

BTW I still hate the price..sorry...I guess if they're sound really good then maybe they'll be worth it.

I don't care how nice all that plastic is, it's still plastic..and $300. Shure isn't exactly known for making comfortable headphones either.

Maybe I'll score a deal on them at JR like I did with the HD-650/598.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #400 of 3,855

Quote:
I think I'm going to buy these next and do a comparison of them against my DJ100 and KRK KNS-6400. I bet the DJ100 will still be my favorite closed headphone for female vocals, but maybe I'll be shocked and surprised.
The SRH-840 lost out to my DJ100 and KRK KNS-8400, so the 940 better be good!
regular_smile%20.gif

So..on a scale of 1 to 10 what is the comfort?
How about the level of detail? Does it have more detail than say the DT-880 or K702? I imagine way more than the 840.

What's the cheapest price on these? I may sell my K702 to get a pair. I almost never use my K702 anymore.

BTW I still hate the price..sorry...I guess if they're sound really good then maybe they'll be worth it.

I don't care how nice all that plastic is, it's still plastic..and $300. Shure isn't exactly known for making comfortable headphones either.

Maybe I'll score a deal on them at JR like I did with the HD-650/598.

i agree. i generally think poorly of plastic and it always scares me a little. but if you do order it make sure to do a review on it. please.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #401 of 3,855
Earphone solutions had the best price on them I found, for $254 shipped, if you use discount code "et5". Anyway, as for soundstage, I feel that it's the largest ive ever heard in a closed can, giving most open dynamics a run for their money. It's vast, actually and completely dwarfs the HD650's soundstage in my opiniion. It's very similar to the DT880 and T1 in more ways than one, with detail resolution, bass extension and refinement on an even higher level than anything I've personally heard in a dynamic headphone, especially at this price point. If I had a gun to my head and had to choose one headphone to live with for the rest of my "career", I'd choose these. They're not as picky about source as most headphones, they sound just perfect unamped and just always sound great with everything I've tried with them.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #402 of 3,855
It's disappoints me when headphone companies release DJ headphones that appear to be based on the Sony V700DJ. It is, in my opinion, poorly designed and overly blingy.

I expect Beyerdynamic to have far more success with the DT 1350 for DJ use than their Sony V700DJ clone, the DJX-1.

SRH stands for studio reference headphone. In no way, shape or form are these meant to be DJ cans, hence the 550DJ and 750DJ, which look nothing like the V700's.

And to anybody speculating on the sound without actually having heard them,
PLEASE STOP. That seems to be a growing pandemic on head-fi and it's really annoying.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #403 of 3,855
Growing?  I don't find it it to be so new.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #404 of 3,855
So here is my comparison for headphones I own, vs the SRH940. These are my opinions, and are by no means intended as absolute statements.

For comparison, all listening was done via a Fiio E9/E7 Combo. Music genres were broad spectrum, and by no means critical.

vs LCD-2 - The LCD-2 wins on Bass and Soundstage. The mids are surprising close, and I ever so slightly prefer the highs on the SRH940. I should note I prefer a brighter top end. Overall the LCD-2 has more impact, and crosses over into a broader spectrum of music, and seems to do everything well. The SRH940 also seems to have a bit of a hole in the mid-bass, that dramatically reduces it's impact.

vs. HD800 - In spirit, these are more closely alligned than I would have thought, but for soundstage and presence, the HD800 can not be matched. Sound signature is very close, with an edge to the SRH940 in female vocal, but male vocal goes to the HD800. The SRH940 sound stage is very good for a closed can, but if you are looking for a wide pallette, it's not close.

vs DT880 (250) - SRH940 wins everywhere here EXCEPT comfort. Sonically it is better than the Beyer's in every respect, and it IS comfortable. If I had to rate it time wise, I would say I could wear the SRH940 for 2 hours without starting to feel uncomfortable, but the Beyers I could wear all day. My DT880's will be movies only from now on, as for music, they are currently my 4th choice.

vs TMA-1 - Just about as easy to drive as the TMA-1 which surprised me, but while I feel the TMA-1 sees NO improvement from amping, the SRH940 leaps ahead once you give it some juice. For electronic and Ambient, which I listen to a lot when I travel, I actually think the TMA-1 will still be a go to. The TMA-1 leaks just a little bit less, although both are VERY loud, before they would intrude on anyone around you. I would probably sell my TMA-1 if they did not look so cool.

My 2  cents anyway.

Jun 5, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #405 of 3,855
So here is my comparison for headphones I own, vs the SRH940. These are my opinions, and are by no means intended as absolute statements.

For comparison, all listening was done via a Fiio E9/E7 Combo. Music genres were broad spectrum, and by no means critical.

vs LCD-2 - The LCD-2 wins on Bass and Soundstage. The mids are surprising close, and I ever so slightly prefer the highs on the SRH940. I should note I prefer a brighter top end. Overall the LCD-2 has more impact, and crosses over into a broader spectrum of music, and seems to do everything well. The SRH940 also seems to have a bit of a hole in the mid-bass, that dramatically reduces it's impact.

vs. HD800 - In spirit, these are more closely alligned than I would have thought, but for soundstage and presence, the HD800 can not be matched. Sound signature is very close, with an edge to the SRH940 in female vocal, but male vocal goes to the HD800. The SRH940 sound stage is very good for a closed can, but if you are looking for a wide pallette, it's not close.

vs DT880 (250) - SRH940 wins everywhere here EXCEPT comfort. Sonically it is better than the Beyer's in every respect, and it IS comfortable. If I had to rate it time wise, I would say I could wear the SRH940 for 2 hours without starting to feel uncomfortable, but the Beyers I could wear all day. My DT880's will be movies only from now on, as for music, they are currently my 4th choice.

vs TMA-1 - Just about as easy to drive as the TMA-1 which surprised me, but while I feel the TMA-1 sees NO improvement from amping, the SRH940 leaps ahead once you give it some juice. For electronic and Ambient, which I listen to a lot when I travel, I actually think the TMA-1 will still be a go to. The TMA-1 leaks just a little bit less, although both are VERY loud, before they would entrude on anyone around you. I would probably sell my TMA-1 if they did not look so cool.

My 2  cents anyway.

And to think all this from a headphone that can be had for under $300. Great comparison! How many hours are you at now? I do feel strongly that the bass improves a lot with burn in and would love to hear your impressions afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back