Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
May 3, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #3,781 of 3,855
To try and prevent my SHR940 cracking, I tend to remove them by sliding them off behind my head. It seems the headphone needs to stretch at it's outmost when removing them from your ears and spreading them away enough to pass over your ear flap. By sliding them backwards they don't need to expand. Also, when putting them on I avoid stretching much as possible by kind of sliding them over my cheeks onto my ears so they never stretch further than needed too. (Yes, the Shure crack thread has made me overly paranoid) So far my theory has worked. 

May 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #3,782 of 3,855
Thanks for the advices, it seems much plausible to me that indeed the headphones don't stress much when removed this way.

(Yes, the Shure crack thread has made me overly paranoid)

Such a brilliant statement, that I'm sure every owner of that headphone in head-fi right now is enduring :D
Still, can't help but buy it. I couldn't live without the level of soundstage and details that Shure procures with all of his little jewels...

You will lose bass if you have lower clamping pressure though due to having a poorer seal.

With my 750DJ the SQ didn't change, it almost feels like the bass are more controlled, and I can feel sub-basses the same way I used to feel them in the beginning... But hey, those aren't the same cans, wouldn't buy it if not for a different experience!

May 4, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #3,783 of 3,855
The 750DJ is a bassy headphone with an on ear hard pleather type earpad, the 940 is a bass light headphone with over ear valour earpads

May 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #3,784 of 3,855
i read the shure 940 reviews here.... and im sold from reading the reviews, at least 1 of the review is very very good. but further reading made me aware of the headband cracks...i've been using grado sr60 for many many years now... i'm going to upgrade, and my clear choice goes to shure 940 initially. but after reading about the headband situation... i decide to post here...

for many reasons, my situations will only allow me to have 1 pair of headphones for the foreseeable future. so this 1 headphone, i'm going to use this 1 headphone for a very long time. at the very minimum 3 and a half years, bordering 4 years. and this headphone will most likely be my only source of entertainment for the next 3 to 4 years (no TV no Games no Bluray, just this headphones / my old grado SR60 / and audio player)

so my consideration only comes to 2 things,
A) it has to be an upgrade in sound compared to my grado sr60
B) it have to last long (which i initially thought was a non-issue because of my daily-beaten yet still very much alive grado)

since everybody and their dogs seems to experience the crack with this shure 940 is there any other headphones i should look at for alternatives of shure 940?

is it a bad decision to buy shure 940 expecting that i want to use it for at least 4 years, and that the headphone will be my only single source of entertainment for the next 4 years....?

oh right, the headphones will be used specifically for these genres... (female vocals / indie folk / jazz / accoustics / strings)

May 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #3,785 of 3,855
i read the shure 940 reviews here.... and im sold from reading the reviews, at least 1 of the review is very very good. but further reading made me aware of the headband cracks...i've been using grado sr60 for many many years now... i'm going to upgrade, and my clear choice goes to shure 940 initially. but after reading about the headband situation... i decide to post here...

for many reasons, my situations will only allow me to have 1 pair of headphones for the foreseeable future. so this 1 headphone, i'm going to use this 1 headphone for a very long time. at the very minimum 3 and a half years, bordering 4 years. and this headphone will most likely be my only source of entertainment for the next 3 to 4 years (no TV no Games no Bluray, just this headphones / my old grado SR60 / and audio player)

so my consideration only comes to 2 things,
A) it has to be an upgrade in sound compared to my grado sr60
B) it have to last long (which i initially thought was a non-issue because of my daily-beaten yet still very much alive grado)

since everybody and their dogs seems to experience the crack with this shure 940 is there any other headphones i should look at for alternatives of shure 940?

is it a bad decision to buy shure 940 expecting that i want to use it for at least 4 years, and that the headphone will be my only single source of entertainment for the next 4 years....?

oh right, the headphones will be used specifically for these genres... (female vocals / indie folk / jazz / accoustics / strings)

I bought the SRH 940s, and they lasted probably 3 months before it started to crack. Because of my long head, I had to adjust the headband to 9, and I think it's that part of the headband that's weak, the part where you adjust it.

May 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #3,787 of 3,855
I listen mostly to classic rock, pop, classical, and acoustic, all of which sound great with these. I can't comment on indie folk and jazz, but female vocals sound pretty awesome too. Actually, vocals in general sound really good and realistic. I'd say the only area these phones are weaker than some others would be music with lots of bass.

May 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #3,789 of 3,855
I bought the SRH 940s, and they lasted probably 3 months before it started to crack. Because of my long head, I had to adjust the headband to 9, and I think it's that part of the headband that's weak, the part where you adjust it.

for western musics, i listen to songs like these... (more the first song than the second song)

slow club - because we're dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac6mXE7UT4E

frightened rabbit - poke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwP_186BdYM

do you think, these kinds of songs fit with shure 940 strong points...?

May 18, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #3,790 of 3,855

for western musics, i listen to songs like these... (more the first song than the second song)

slow club - because we're dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac6mXE7UT4E

frightened rabbit - poke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwP_186BdYM

do you think, these kinds of songs fit with shure 940 strong points...?

Just listened to both those songs now with the 940s, both definitely sound great with them! 
These kinds of songs do very well with the shures because of the vocals and the guitar/acoustic. Also, I find lighter sounding songs with less bass do very well, and both of those songs fit in that category.
I would definitely get the shures, you wont regret it. Just make sure you handle them with care, cause of the headband.

May 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #3,791 of 3,855
  Just listened to both those songs now with the 940s, both definitely sound great with them! 
These kinds of songs do very well with the shures because of the vocals and the guitar/acoustic. Also, I find lighter sounding songs with less bass do very well, and both of those songs fit in that category.
I would definitely get the shures, you wont regret it. Just make sure you handle them with care, cause of the headband.

im looking at a budget amp. my only options here are fiio e12 / fiio e17 / jdslabs o2 amp / bravo audio ocean tube amp.
or schiit magni directly from the US without the modi.

Do you think its better to pair this with tube amp or SS amp?

May 25, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #3,792 of 3,855

im looking at a budget amp. my only options here are fiio e12 / fiio e17 / jdslabs o2 amp / bravo audio ocean tube amp.
or schiit magni directly from the US without the modi.

Do you think its better to pair this with tube amp or SS amp?

Schiit Magni goes well with SHR940 for my preferences, some might find it a little bright but good refinement and detail retrieval. I tried with O2 didn't like it near as much. You will want a decent DAC though eventually, something like Stoner Acoustics UD110v2 would be a decent choice. Myself I use Aune T1 with golden lion tube then feed Magni from it's RCA line out  You could even opt for the Aune T1 alone which is a $180 dac/amp, sometimes cheaper.

May 25, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #3,793 of 3,855
My friend and I tried the Bravo ocean tube amp, while i liked it for my open HD558, he said that the tube amp didn't go well with the closed back SRH940. What the amp appears to do is add richness and organicness to the sound, also making the bass a little heavier. Benefiting open cans more than closed ones. 

If I were to make a guess I would say SS amp's will do better due to the light, clean and detail nature of the headphone's sound.

May 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,795 of 3,855
im glad this thread is still getting a lot of love...

so... my initial budget was around $150. but... since at the moment i live in a country where import tax is exorbitant, everything here is more expensive, especially luxury products. (apparently headphone being one of them). my old headphone, which i bought for ~$70 when i live in another country, cost $110 here, so... i increased the budget to around ~$300.

after a lot of readings... i've decided to narrow down to my choices to 2 cans, beyer T70p or shure 940...

i've auditioned both... but not at the same time so i didn't A/B it... my budget is quite tight, and i'm leaning towards shure 940 more based on memory... T70p sounded similar but shure 940 sounds just a touch more sparkly.. if that even makes any sense.

but the pad in the head for shure 940 is not comfy... while t70p after a while you forget you're wearing headphones.... shure 940 i can get for $370 while T70 i can get for $530... the more i spend on headphones the less i could spend on dac/amp...

for my sound preferences, the only aspect that beyer t70p wins over shure 940 is it's design. its build like a tank. and better sound isolation too. but i sort of feel like im wasting money on things i barely can afford if i get a $530 headphones that sounded similar to a $370. then again.. shure 940 and crack headband... i'd feel more of an idiot if after 3 months... the shure 940 break...

shure 940 owners... would you guys mind helping me with my decisions which one do you think i should get...?

cheers...

ps: if i take the shure 940, the remaining $160 i'm going to use to order schiit magni directly from the US or buy a fiio e17 (which is also $160), or a fiio e12 ($150)
if i take t70p then i wont buy any amp or dac... no budget for it....

cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back