Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Sep 16, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,471 of 3,855

Quote:
Nobody cares whether anyone likes the 940 or not, they just want to know how it sounds. And it sounds like a Senn 800. But so far after hundreds of posts, not one person has an example of a track to compare and what to listen for. I think my case is winning.

@oldshoe99
As I  said, I  found that with onboard sound, the srh940 is uninteresting. I've compared the srh940 out of different source, and the sq varied significantly. The guy who tested the hd800 out of an ipod must be kidding.
I suggest you get a ksc75 , it's ten time cheaper than the srh940, and  hundred time to the hd800, and you might be surprised how good they sound out of an ipod.
Instead of insisting at saying that the hd800 and srh940 are similar, you should test some ksc75, you might sell your srh940 after
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #1,472 of 3,855
Can you tab notes? Maybe make things interesting and concrete. I think the HD800 was fantastic at playing notes to the pitch. Make a comparison in this manner? Pick out some insanely modal jazz with rich bass-playing, maybe by Paul Jackson (oooh, groovy) or something, and try to see which one distinguishes it better. Don't pay any attention to coloration, differences in tone or FR, just music. 

Hard to make any claims, since I don't own either, but the HD800 was fantastic when I listened to them a bit longer...

Oh, contrare - the review listed actual songs and what to listen for. The other guy hasn't provided any evidence at all.

Edit: The quote was misplaced by the headfi editor. The quote was about whose case was winning.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,473 of 3,855
Can you tab notes? Maybe make things interesting and concrete. I think the HD800 was fantastic at playing notes to the pitch. Make a comparison in this manner? Pick out some insanely modal jazz with rich bass-playing, maybe by Paul Jackson (oooh, groovy) or something, and try to see which one distinguishes it better. Don't pay any attention to coloration, differences in tone or FR, just music. 

Hard to make any claims, since I don't own either, but the HD800 was fantastic when I listened to them a bit longer...

@oldshoe99
As I  said, I  found that with onboard sound, the srh940 is uninteresting. I've compared the srh940 out of different source, and the sq varied significantly. The guy who tested the hd800 out of an ipod must be kidding.
I suggest you get a ksc75 , it's ten time cheaper than the srh940, and  hundred time to the hd800, and you might be surprised how good they sound out of an ipod.
Instead of insisting at saying that the hd800 and srh940 are similar, you should test some ksc75, you might sell your srh940 after
biggrin.gif

So when you feel like you're losing a point, you resort to clown postings? Then everyone will know who you are.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #1,474 of 3,855
Hah, but Baka has both and states that they are completely different. I don't think either of your cases are winning. 

I'm not here to "win" anything. I'm just here to post my experiences. I know some will agree with me, some won't some, will be ambivalent about it. But no matter how anyone interprets what I post, Head-Fi'ers that have been here for a while know I do it in an honest and non biased way. Also, anyone who has read my reviews knows I have a methodology and they're not just written at random. As I stated earlier in this thread I'm not ready to post a full-fledged review comparing the Sennheiser HD800 and the Shure 940. The abridged version goes like this: The HD800 beats the 940 in a side-by-side comparison. The Senn also scales up better than the Shure.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,477 of 3,855

Quote:
So when you feel like you're losing a point, you resort to clown postings? Then everyone will know who you are.

..?

But as I said, I don't care about sound. But basically you're saying the 940 is as good or better than the HD800, when it comes to articulating pitch variations ie. are better for a musician to tab notes, for instance? Ooh, I have high expectations! Still haven't heard the 940...

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #1,478 of 3,855

Quote:
I did some of that, which is an excellent suggestion. The two were roughly the same, given the differences created by the sound effects of the 800 from that big echo chamber and angled drivers. I love the 800's sound and soundstage, but I also loved the Bose 901 and the way it created a spectacular speaker soundstage, by bouncing the sound backward and around. So it sounds better to me that way, and better to others, but it isn't something in the sound itself, it's in the smearing (ouch!) created by the 800's acoustics.

One of the best tests is with sibilants. The 940 seems to have less on several tracks I tried, but in the end they still don't sound worse on the 800, probably because of that wonderful soundstage effect.

So in a sense no headphone will "compare" directly to the 800 unless it has big earcups and angled drivers and the same acoustics. But given that limitation, I try to do what the reviewer said and listen past that. I think it's going to be more telling if we can get suggestions about what tracks and segments to compare the bass with, if some of the naysayers will cooperate.

When you say "roughly", do you mean that either of them missed notes? The music recorded is absolute, sound isn't, so the only thing I can conclude actually is that either of them is worse in this regard.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #1,479 of 3,855
I'm waiting for ksc75 vs hd800 comparison.

..?

But as I said, I don't care about sound. But basically you're saying the 940 is as good or better than the HD800, when it comes to articulating pitch variations ie. are better for a musician to tab notes, for instance? Ooh, I have high expectations! Still haven't heard the 940...
I don't have a hd800, and don't feel that the srh940 is significantly better than a ksc75 out of an onboard sound card (I have both). It's less clown than judging a hd800 out of an ipod.

Wrong. When you constantly repeat the iPod thing and disinform your readers about what the review says about amping and not amping and why, then you are indeed being a clown.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #1,480 of 3,855

..?

I don't have a hd800, and don't feel that the srh940 is significantly better than a ksc75 out of an onboard sound card (I have both). It's less clown than judging a hd800 out of an ipod.

When you say "roughly", do you mean that either of them missed notes? The music recorded is absolute, sound isn't, so the only thing I can conclude actually is that either of them is worse in this regard.

The 940 sends the sound more directly to your ears, not bouncing it around like the 800. So pick your poison there. More smearing and pleasantness, or more direct connect.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #1,481 of 3,855

Quote:
Wrong. When you constantly repeat the iPod thing and disinform your readers about what the review says about amping and not amping and why, then you are indeed being a clown.

I didn't talk of amping, you know everything has a built in amp . I'm talking of the ipod as a whole : dac + built in amp
wink.gif
. And I don't think the ipod is a the best source to test a hd800.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #1,482 of 3,855
I'm not here to "win" anything. I'm just here to post my experiences. I know some will agree with me, some won't some, will be ambivalent about it. But no matter how anyone interprets what I post, Head-Fi'ers that have been here for a while know I do it in an honest and non biased way. Also, anyone who has read my reviews knows I have a methodology and they're not just written at random. As I stated earlier in this thread I'm not ready to post a full-fledged review comparing the Sennheiser HD800 and the Shure 940. The abridged version goes like this: The HD800 beats the 940 in a side-by-side comparison. The Senn also scales up better than the Shure.

Not here to inform either? So you are saying that your "It's not as good" stacks up against a great review on the 940? I would call your case extreme laziness, not useful. Next time try some facts, like "listen to xyz and see how the bass is different". If you're so sure, just give ONE example.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #1,483 of 3,855
Are you claiming me and extrabighendi are the same person? The only thing that connects us is that our native language is not English. I haven't even heard the 940 or the ksc75.

Prolly should call the white jackets, I think someone's a bit paranoid... :)

Still, you haven't responded my query ("When you say "roughly", do you mean that either of them missed notes? The music recorded is absolute, sound isn't, so the only thing I can conclude actually is that either of them is worse in this regard."), not his (extrabigmehdi). I think my question for clarification is valid.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #1,484 of 3,855

..?

I didn't talk of amping, you know everything has a built in amp . I'm talking of the ipod as a whole : dac + built in amp
wink.gif
. And I don't think the ipod is a the best source to test a hd800.

You're still disinforming (i.e. not telling the truth). You keep talking about the iPod and not the review part about using desktop amps with the 800, and the 940.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,485 of 3,855
Are you claiming me and extrabighendi are the same person? The only thing that connects us is that our native language is not English. I haven't even heard the 940 or the ksc75.

Prolly should call the white jackets, I think someone's a bit paranoid... :)

Still, you haven't responded my query ("When you say "roughly", do you mean that either of them missed notes? The music recorded is absolute, sound isn't, so the only thing I can conclude actually is that either of them is worse in this regard."), not his (extrabigmehdi). I think my question for clarification is valid.

I responded, three posts up. Head-fi has been adding extra quotes - don't know why. As far as white jackets go, the clown postings here and off-topic posts about the KSC75 are fairly obvious. And they speak volumes about the other guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back