Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Aug 31, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,111 of 3,855

Quote:
All I can tell you is that the bass extends really well, and has really good layering.  It's just not what I am used to - therefore it does not 'gel' for me at the moment.

I've listenned to your example through different things : speakers, iems, other headphone, and it's true that the  sound of the srh940 might seem quite "unfamiliar" compared to everyting else.   But you should try to listen to different genres, instead of sticking to a particular artist or music, you might find that they shine elsewhere.
Experiment a bit , instead of sticking with your idea of how your favorite piece of music should sound.
Also I  believe that a slight reverb helps to cure the "dryness".

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,112 of 3,855

Quote:
 I've listenned to your example through different things : speakers, iems, other headphone, and it's true that the  sound of the srh940 might seem quite "unfamiliar" compared to everyting else.   But you should try to listen to different genres, instead of sticking to a particular artist or music, you might find that they shine elsewhere.
Experiment a bit , instead of sticking with your idea of how your favorite piece of music should sound.
Also I  believe that a slight reverb helps to cure the "dryness".

Ah - easy assumption to make - but not valid in this case.  My musical preferences extend from classical and jazz all the way through to hard-rock and trip-hop.  That was just one example I had.  For modern jazz, female vocal and classical, I find the SRH940 absolutely excellent - it's just for some of the other genres I listen to that they haven't quite gelled yet.  I'm going to give them a little more time & then see if my opinion changes.

BTW - I don't have a favourite artist - my musical tastes are far too varied to tie a favourite down to one.  To give you an idea of my most played artists over the last month : Adele, Aerosmith, Alanis Morisette, Alice In Chains, Anna Nalick, Christine Perri, Diana Krall, Don Henley, Eric Clapton, Florence & The Machine, Hera, Julia Fischer & the Russian Philharmonic, Joe Bonamassa, Little Dragon, Nils Lofgren, Porcupine Tree, Roger Waters, Seether, Sia, Sinead O'Connor, Skunk Anansie and Snow Patrol.  Good luck trying to make sense of that lot 
biggrin.gif

I've solved the headband issue - extended the cups further, and simply used the clamp force to keep them in place.  It feels a little strange but the comfort is a lot better.

And I'm trying to use them as much as possible with all of my varied collection.  These just may take a lot of time to get used to.

I'd love to be able to compare an HD600 with my SRH940 & DT880.  From what I have read so far - if the SRH940 is not my thing, and the DT880 remains a little lifeless, the HD600 may end up being the perfect match of the two.  Oh if only my wallet was a little bigger 
wink.gif

Oh - and for comparison - even through my B2 iems (DBA clone - which are definitely bass light), the bass seems more naturally presented.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,113 of 3,855
Hi. Just got the 940 and might i say that i dont find the bass at all lacking. Just perfect quantity. I am using the dacport as source/amp and there is no hint of grain. Quite impressive as i havent burnt them yet :)   Still havent got used to their sound signature as i havent used closed cans (my other can is K1000 :)) for a while and find them a bit fatiguing at the moment. Have to wait and see but i think i will like them in the end. They are very transparent headphones and remind me of the HD800 which i owned some time back.

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,114 of 3,855
Quote:
Hi. Just got the 940 and might i say that i dont find the bass at all lacking.

What kind of music do you listen ? I  guess you don't usually listen to stuff with "strong" bass.
Quote:
find them a bit fatiguing at the moment

What exactely you find fatiguing ? I  found that they became less fatiguing with some burning  (the highs).
Quote:
They are very transparent headphones and remind me of the HD800

So you are not the only one who made the comparison, see the top review at amazon. The only problem is that the reviewer plugged the hd800 directly on an ipod. Do you prefer them to your K1000 ?

Aug 31, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #1,115 of 3,855
Hi. Just got the 940 and might i say that i dont find the bass at all lacking. Just perfect quantity. I am using the dacport as source/amp and there is no hint of grain. Quite impressive as i havent burnt them yet :)   Still havent got used to their sound signature as i havent used closed cans (my other can is K1000 :)) for a while and find them a bit fatiguing at the moment. Have to wait and see but i think i will like them in the end. They are very transparent headphones and remind me of the HD800 which i owned some time back.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Although I've never owned the K1000, I have heard them a couple of times. I can see how comparing the K1000 to the 940 someone could think the bass wasn't light on the Shure.

I must disagree, though, that the HD800 and 940 sound similar. I think they sound pretty different. The HD800 has a more open sound, bigger soundstaging, better imaging and more bass impact plus are more detailed. I admit the $300 Shure can't compare to the $1400 Senn. I think the Shure does well within it's price point.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #1,117 of 3,855

Quote:
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Although I've never owned the K1000, I have heard them a couple of times. I can see how comparing the K1000 to the 940 someone could think the bass wasn't light on the Shure.

I must disagree, though, that the HD800 and 940 sound similar. I think they sound pretty different. The HD800 has a more open sound, bigger soundstaging, better imaging and more bass impact plus are more detailed. I admit the $300 Shure can't compare to the $1400 Senn. I think the Shure does well within it's price point.

Add me to the list too Ross...nothing alike.

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #1,122 of 3,855
Aww man. I was already waiting for something like a HD800 :) But I don't really care for sound stage or bass-impact, so maybe they'll do. We'll see though.

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #1,123 of 3,855

Mostly acoustic stuff and music with strong female vocals. Strong bass tires my ears out quickly :) The fatigue i think is mostly because of the closed feeling since i havent used any other headphone other than the K1000 for a while now.  I dont prefer them over the K1000. The K1000s are more open and have an endless soundstage. I did not compare them directly with HD800, but i do like the performance of the Shures at low volumes.
Quote:
What kind of music do you listen ? I  guess you don't usually listen to stuff with "strong" bass.

What exactely you find fatiguing ? I  found that they became less fatiguing with some burning  (the highs).
So you are not the only one who made the comparison, see the top review at amazon. The only problem is that the reviewer plugged the hd800 directly on an ipod. Do you prefer them to your K1000 ?

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #1,124 of 3,855

Quote:
Strong bass tires my ears out quickly :) [...]
 The K1000s are more open and have an endless soundstage.

Thanks for the answer. Concerning the soundstage, I  find there's countless way  to artificially increase it with dsp . A stereo reverb does for me the trick. You might as well , use a crossfeed vst/plugin. Strong bass is not fatiguing for me, if it's faithful to the recording (i.e not just a bassy coloration).

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,125 of 3,855

I do agree the HD800 are technically better but as i remember they were dead at low volumes. So not really a big fan :)  Ofcourse i didnt compare the HD800 and 940 next to each other but from my memory there is some sort of dryness (or lack of warmth) which i find similar. I could be wrong cause my 940s arent burnt in (neither are my ears as i havent used headphones with earcups for a while) and i need to give more time.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back