Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Aug 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #1,007 of 3,855

Quote:
What about the bass ?  People are usually praising the ultrasone headphones for the bass.

Deep, visceral, detailed and controlled bass (Edition 8s). A step up from the D7000s in that regard and the mids aren't recessed...simply the best closed headphones I've heard.

The best sub $300 closed headphones are tied between the SRH840s, DT770/600 and HD-25 II.

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #1,008 of 3,855
Little note to add, when I did have the edition 8's, there were moments when I stared at the headphones for minutes.  They are what I would call functioning art and I would/will buy another for a more portable setup.  *Fingers Crossed* for Ipod Touch 5g w/128gb!

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #1,009 of 3,855

Quote:
What about the bass ?  People are usually praising the ultrasone headphones for the bass.

I hate Ultrasone bass. Can't get one note right 
rolleyes.gif

Even the 840 is better, which I quite dislike as well.

Oh, and what's that about a 128gb touch! ... I wants rid of my hdd's please :)

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #1,010 of 3,855

Quote:
I hate Ultrasone bass. Can't get one note right 
rolleyes.gif

Even the 840 is better, which I quite dislike as well.

Oh, and what's that about a 128gb touch! ... I wants rid of my hdd's please :)

Care to expand? Too much bass for you? Maybe the 940s are more up your alley.
rolleyes.gif

The bass on the Ed.8s competes with my other flagship headphones very, very well.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #1,011 of 3,855
Aug 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #1,012 of 3,855
The issue with the ultrasone  ed 8 is that some people don't  like " visceral bass". Depending of the musical genre, it can be necessary.
The srh940,  don't have the "visceral" bass, just a small bass impact that you can make more obvious by eq-ing, but sometimes I  have the feeling it's struggling to provide it.  They are the stronger in the "high mids" area (between high & mids), good for femal /high pitched voice . I suggest listening to  some Philippe Jaroussky, Maria Callas. I enjoyed some "Gun & Roses" on them too.

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #1,013 of 3,855

Quote:
The issue with the ultrasone  ed 8 is that some people don't  like " visceral bass". Depending of the musical genre, it can be necessary.
The srh940,  don't have the "visceral" bass, just a small bass impact that you can make more obvious by eq-ing, but sometimes I  have the feeling it's struggling to provide it.  They are the stronger in the "high mids" area (between high & mids), good for femal /high pitched voice . I suggest listening to  some Philippe Jaroussky, Maria Callas. I enjoyed some "Gun & Roses" on them too.

I would suggest that it has little to do with the genre, it is the the recording itself. When a recording calls out for visceral bass the Ed.8s deliver...when it's not called out for...it's not there. I would suggest you give them a try before casting judgment. With the SRH940s....it's never there regardless (a colouration by Shure IMO). I don't mean to compare a $1500+ headphone to a $200 headphone...but here I am.
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #1,014 of 3,855

Quote:

I would suggest that it has little to do with the genre, it is the the recording itself. When a recording calls out for visceral bass the Ed.8s deliver...when it's not called out for...it's not there. I would suggest you give them a try before casting judgment. With the SRH940s....it's never there regardless (a colouration by Shure IMO). I don't mean to compare a $1500+ headphone to a $200 headphone...but here I am.
tongue.gif

I respectfully disagree regarding the absence of the SRH940 bass response.  I have a number of high-quality pipe organ recordings and the 940 very competently renders the low bass in these recordings.   I must add, however, that I am using a headphone amplifier rather than driving the phones directly from a player.   Indeed, the 940 didn't sound as well-balanced with respect to the bass frequencies as when using them with an external amplifier. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #1,015 of 3,855

Quote:
I respectfully disagree regarding the absence of the SRH940 bass response.  I have a number of high-quality pipe organ recordings and the 940 very competently renders the low bass in these recordings.   I must add, however, that I am using a headphone amplifier rather than driving the phones directly from a player.   Indeed, the 940 didn't sound as well-balanced with respect to the bass frequencies as when using them with an external amplifier. 

I used the Peachtree Nova as a Source/Amp when listening to them and had to struggle to hear the stand up bass on a few Diana Krall recordings that I am very familiar with. Again...for the price, these are fine headphones, just not my cup of tea so to speak.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #1,016 of 3,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would suggest that it has little to do with the genre, it is the the recording itself.

I tested with the recordings that have the most important bass impact  . I have in mind the hd595, that is almost unable to deliver any. Even if there's some bass impact on the music, the hd595 delivers none.  I  can get some "euphonic" bass though, without the impact.

Quote:
I don't mean to compare a $1500+ headphone to a $200

There's a review that compare the srh940 to the hd800, and it's repeated a lot in the web, it's almost looks like spam. Does Shure need to post fake reviews or what.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,017 of 3,855

Quote:

There's a review that compare the srh940 to the hd800, and it's repeated a lot in the web, it's almost looks like spam. Does Shure need to post fake reviews or what.

I happen to own the HD800s and anyone can have any opinion...there's a saying about that
tongue.gif
....but that review is implying that the SRH940s compete with the HD800s...they are just plain wrong....no way, no how, no time. Shure does make incredible IEMs...and I still think their best sounding earphone are the SE535s (by a good margin)....YMMV of course.

Is the 940 a good headphone for the price? Sure it is...

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #1,019 of 3,855

Quote:

On the other hand he tested the hd800 from an "iPod Touch latest model". He defended this later, by  saying that amping doesn't make a big difference.

I think that says a lot about the reviewer then.
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #1,020 of 3,855

Quote:

I agree that the bass is not absent. But in order to really be aware of it, you have to bring up the volume level to where the bright top is hard to deal with. I liked that lack of bass boom initially but the bright top eventually began to bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back