Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Jan 5, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #2,941 of 3,855

Quote:

If looking at sound alone, the SRH-940 is underpriced, and the HD800 is overpriced, and they happen to have a similiar signature, so they are not that far away from eachother, which is vocally expressed in several reviews.

For portable closed-back, the SRH-940 must be one of the best there are, I haven't seen any comparisons to the ~$300 Audio Technicas, Sony's or Denon's though, ES88 and Z1000 come to mind, I'd also like to know how the Creative Aurvana Live fares up.

Ahh, the Z1000 is already tempting me.  I might get an itchy trigger finger and check this out.  I need a portable that leaks less than the 940 and I don't really want to sacrifice the quality.

Z1000 seems like a contender on paper.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #2,943 of 3,855
Ehh the other headphone i tried at the Sam Ash right before i met the 940 was the Z1000, maybe it wasn't amped enough(using a cMoy, sounds good with 940 even, dont know why people hate on it so much) but the Z1000 was completely unmentionable.  Not a lot of detail or bass or treble or mids, sounded dead, i guess it relitively flat but it just really didn't catch my eye at all.  When i took them off i was hoping all high end cans sounded like that so i wouldn't have to spend any more money, i preferred my K240 to them.  Sadly the 940 completely shook me, i couldn't explain it, probably talked about them for the rest of the day.  Bought them the next week.
But again all of this is just me.

Jan 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #2,945 of 3,855

Quote:
i tried at the Sam Ash right before i met the 940 was the Z1000, maybe it wasn't amped enough(using a cMoy, sounds good with 940 even, dont know why people hate on it so much) but the Z1000 was completely unmentionable.

If only SRH940 had the build quality of the Z1000,lol. SRH940 is a toy in comparison.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #2,949 of 3,855

Lovely

Quote:
More nice bass on the srh940 (music available in lossless for free legally).

EDIT: Submitted my review finally. I  don't want people to bash the srh940, without trying something as trivial as adjusting the headband.

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2,950 of 3,855
I just received my shure SRH940 in the mail yesterday. I dont have an amp yet (Getting one tomorrow). I have to say I was a tad disappointed. They do sound great but in my opinion not much better than my etymotic HF5. The HF5 is fully burned in though, and the 940 has about 12 hours. How much better will the 940 get after burn in? Also, how much better with the FiiO E7 I am getting tomorrow.

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #2,951 of 3,855
The SRH940 sounds a bit blurry and sloppy without proper amplification. IEMs don't really need amplification in the same way full size headphones do. I can't say how much better it will sound with the E7 personally but with my NFB12 it's a major improvement.

Also I thought IEMs have inherently better quality than full sized headphones, due to size differences? This may be completely wrong though so don't take my word for it (I've never used an IEM in my life because I hate sticking foreign objects into my ear canals).

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #2,952 of 3,855
The SRH940 sounds a bit blurry and sloppy without proper amplification. IEMs don't really need amplification in the same way full size headphones do. I can't say how much better it will sound with the E7 personally but with my NFB12 it's a major improvement.

Also I thought IEMs have inherently better quality than full sized headphones, due to size differences? This may be completely wrong though so don't take my word for it (I've never used an IEM in my life because I hate sticking foreign objects into my ear canals).

Alright. How much does the SQ improve after burn in?

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2,953 of 3,855
I can't really say because I'm not sure I believe in burn in having a major physical difference, and if it does, I wasn't paying attention during the process. I know malveaux said he didn't notice any burn in effects in particular.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #2,954 of 3,855
I can't really say because I'm not sure I believe in burn in having a major physical difference, and if it does, I wasn't paying attention during the process. I know malveaux said he didn't notice any burn in effects in particular.

Alrighty. I'll see how it sounds after a good 50 hours burn in, 2 weeks of brain burn in, and with the E7. If I don't like it, its off to ebay, then I can start the extremely fun process of picking headphones all over again :DDD Anyone else love searching around for weeks trying to find the best headphones? :p.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #2,955 of 3,855

Quote:
The SRH940 sounds a bit blurry and sloppy without proper amplification.

SRH940 wouldn't sound blurry and sloppy if you connected it to a bowl of fudge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back