Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Dec 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #2,596 of 3,855

Quote:

I think if bcasey listened to the 840 and 940 side by side one of them would be in her rubbish can in no time.

You underestimate the gear parring, and also personal tastes as viable segments of the equation. Most entry level phones are "thump-a-lumps". Young Head-fiers like the artificial bottom heft and muted highs (necessary for hiding source and amp deficiencies). The ATH-M50 is popular for just such reasons! That AT is one horrid Headphone....(IMO).

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #2,598 of 3,855

Seriously IEM's have the best soundspace and imaging compared to headphones and speakers.

You insert them into the side of your skull and then all you see is vascillating layer-cake in a 7cm diametre sphere surrounding your anti-helix. It's like strawberry, vanilla and pascal's theorem all in single psychoactive illustration that's portable lavaliered with the visual landscapes of nature and dusty city life.

Speakers - at their finest - will elicit a holographic singer or holographic piano in the room, to the correct dimensions as if they were, actually there.

High-end headphones, I am not so sure, yet.

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #2,599 of 3,855
Dec 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2,600 of 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also why did you call me a HER? Was that meant to be a joke or do you really think I'm a female?

Your avatars are usually quite femenine.

Type "bcasey" into google image search, click 1st result.

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2,601 of 3,855

Quote:

Bah

Because masculine avatars aren't badass enough. (shoot me now for irony)

http://www.google.com/search?q=bcasey&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=908&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=gObjTsHrJMPgiAKz09ngBg#um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=bcasey25raptor&pbx=1&oq=bcasey25raptor&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=13733l15070l0l15878l8l8l0l7l0l0l88l88l1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=f00f8fcf29392572&biw=1920&bih=908

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #2,602 of 3,855

Quote:

Seriously IEM's have the best soundspace and imaging compared to headphones and speakers.

You insert them into the side of your skull and then all you see is vascillating layer-cake in a 7cm diametre sphere surrounding your anti-helix. It's like strawberry, vanilla and pascal's theorem all in single psychoactive illustration that's portable lavaliered with the visual landscapes of nature and dusty city life.

Speakers - at their finest - will elicit a holographic singer or holographic piano in the room, to the correct dimensions as if they were, actually there.

High-end headphones, I am not so sure, yet.

You need to go outside and find some sunshine....

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #2,603 of 3,855

Quote:
Of cos its a given, that the soundstage is IN the recording....that where we start from...when we slap on the cd.

And when u have 7 headphones on your table, they all dun sound "alike" playing that same song. 
Some would render that "intended soundstage" wider, some narrower, some deeper, some line abreast. 
tongue_smile.gif

As to the question of which is "more accurate" " more neutral".....
unless u are there in the recording studio, its a guess, albeit educated guess.

I would just try to enjoy/appreciate the particular can with its quirks...  tats how i settle down to this hobby.
wink.gif

id jus think that you wnat he real idea of the recording if yoer driver is matched identical then the recorded image is there, a headphone will gv yu a stereo idea with the center things like vocal or drum will appear above yr head or way out in front and I wonder how does the recorder person know what he has except for what HIS gear tells him, he knows his equipment and knows when something is as it should be or whatever. Maybe the KIRK headphone is more accurate who knows?

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #2,604 of 3,855

Quote:

Is this you bcasey??

Quote:
id jus think that you wnat he real idea of the recording if yoer driver is matched identical then the recorded image is there, a headphone will gv yu a stereo idea with the center things like vocal or drum will appear above yr head or way out in front and I wonder how does the recorder person know what he has except for what HIS gear tells him, he knows his equipment and knows when something is as it should be or whatever. Maybe the KIRK headphone is more accurate who knows?

I think your keubrd is brkenign.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #2,605 of 3,855

Quote:
Is this you bcasey??

I think your keubrd is brkenign.

No that's not me. I look way younger and I wear glasses. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #2,606 of 3,855
Quote:

You need to go outside and find some sunshine....

What did it say before the edit?

Anyway I don't buy that soundstage is in the recording, I think headpphones and IEM's can enhance the soundstage, just like the SRH-940 enhances vocals/mids.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #2,607 of 3,855

Quote:
What did it say before the edit?

Anyway I don't buy that soundstage is in the recording, I think headpphones and IEM's can enhance the soundstage, just like the SRH-940 enhances vocals/mids.

You really are just wrong here. Sorry.

Try some binaural recordings to see just how much soundstaging is in the recording.

Please do not push forward untruths as it can really confuse others.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #2,608 of 3,855

I'm not interested in any untruths, I just feel like multi-driver BA's create a soundstage and imaging a bit beyond what is in the recording, like your SE535.

Since someone said "for the millionth time" I'm assuming this discussion happened in a different thread or something.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #2,609 of 3,855

Quote:

I'm not interested in any untruths, I just feel like multi-driver BA's create a soundstage and imaging a bit beyond what is in the recording, like your SE535.

Since someone said "for the millionth time" I'm assuming this discussion happened in a different thread or something.

My (now sold) SE535s had 3 drivers (1 tweeter and 2 woofers), my Westone 4s have 4 drivers, but none can come close to soundstaging of the full sized headphones that I've owned through the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back