Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Dec 5, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #2,506 of 3,855

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But don't you find them quite coloured - eg very warm - when compared to something we know is relatively neutral like the HD600 or DT880? 

Neutral is hard to do. Some headphones that are "neutral" in their FR are not neutral when they even out dynamic contrasts or cover up inner detail.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #2,507 of 3,855
Agree - and people's idea of neutral is often very different.  But most would say that the DT880 and HD600 are quite neutral.  Next to them, I found the SRH940 very coloured.  Do you not find the same?

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #2,508 of 3,855
Bah mid bass blah.

The srh840 has way to much mid bass the srh940 so far doesn't look to have that problem. I really hope they are what i hope they are. Looking forward to receive them. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2,509 of 3,855

Quote:
Bah mid bass blah.

The srh840 has way to much mid bass the srh940 so far doesn't look to have that problem. I really hope they are what i hope they are. Looking forward to receive them. 

Blah I love my 840, blah I hate my 840, blah I love my 840 blah, blah 
wink.gif

Just messing with ya Casey - I hope the 940's are everything you're expecting.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #2,510 of 3,855

Quote:
Blah I love my 840, blah I hate my 840, blah I love my 840 blah, blah 
wink.gif

Just messing with ya Casey - I hope the 940's are everything you're expecting.

I love my srh840 i am just stating the mid bass is my only complaint.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #2,511 of 3,855

Quote:
R-Audiohead - I totally agree with what you're saying.  In my view, the SRH 940 is warm, sweet, a bit airy on the top end, and with the lack of balanced mid-bass, it is quite coloured.  Excellent with the modern jazz I have, and does female vocals generall very well.  Someone earlier said they were good for rock.  I found they were good for acoustics and folk - but rock ..... not for me.

That claim about the 940 being "most neutral-sounding and detailed headphone below perhaps $1000 USD" is in my own personal opinion absolute hogwash.  It doesn't hold a candle to the HD600 for neutrality.  It is detailed (again I think the lack of mid-bass is part of the reason why) - but if you wanted a combination of both neutral and detailed, the DT880 would be a far better choice.

Of course - just my subjective opinion
wink.gif

Again I go back to my comment many pages ago - it's one of the most polarising headphones I know - you either love it unreservedly - or you recognise it's flaws.  It does have them - unfortunately I couldn't live with them - but I look forward to Shure's next offering.  Their new open can seems interesting ......

Would you say the detail level was the same on both? I know the lack of bass seems to increase the detail on the SRH940 and makes it lack on the DT880, but without considering the different signatures would you say it's on par with the SRH940? I really wanted something very detailed as really neutral (since I find it easier to equalize from neutrality than from anywhere else), and the DT880 seem to be really what I want. Thanks in advance.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #2,512 of 3,855
once upon a time, i had the dt880/600, fischer 003, and T5p all at once...on a comparison over a classical piece on my lehmann amp,
which has two jacks, so i can swap between cans quite fast...the dt880 came up LAST in terms of clarity/details. ..TO MY EARS.
i dun have to tell u which came up FIRST...

and in terms of warmth, the dt880 was the coolest.... or if u wanna call it neutral..? or  "less appealing to me" at least.
i sold the dt880 almost within that week.  heeee...not tat its not good, i just lost the joy of listening to tat can..at that time.

=============

Now the 940 reminded me of the T5p very much ...the clarity is superb. TO MY EARs. ( my ears )
940 is not cool cool, its a tad warmish, which i LIKE.

=============

with regard to views from " this camp and that camp"...sometimes i suspect the CAN can be so transparent and revealing that we are listening thru to the sum of our cables/dacs/amps....that could account for the variation of adjectives used. I treat such opinions with respect to everyone here who describe sincerely what they heard. Finally wat matters is that YOU LIKE WHAT U HEAR. which is so personal..zzzz.

GREAT HOBBY!!!

============

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #2,513 of 3,855
err...yes the 940 is one of the better cans i have... or had...might sell it soon. haaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #2,516 of 3,855
Uhhh, why delete the thread that has all kinds of dialogue about a particular product? So what if it has been discontinued? You can still purchase them at Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto (where I live). I hope this thread isn't deleted.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2,517 of 3,855
This thread is a treasure trove of information. It will never be deleted. Just because something is discontinued does not mean the information should stop being available. 

Oh, and according to that website she posted, there's no indication of the 940 being discontinued. Besides, the new open cans are not a replacement for their flagship closed can in any way. kiteki likes her own hype. 
smile.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #2,518 of 3,855
Irony...

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #2,519 of 3,855

Quote:
Would you say the detail level was the same on both? I know the lack of bass seems to increase the detail on the SRH940 and makes it lack on the DT880, but without considering the different signatures would you say it's on par with the SRH940? I really wanted something very detailed as really neutral (since I find it easier to equalize from neutrality than from anywhere else), and the DT880 seem to be really what I want. Thanks in advance.

It's a really hard one to say.  If we are purely talking detail on the upper end (upper mids and highs), the Shures excel - but I wonder if it is the perception of detail, or the ease of pinpointing it - because (again IMO) I don't believe the 940s are neutral or balanced across the frequencies (*mid-bass*).  My personal preference would be the DT880s - both balance and detail.  Note - I haven't heard the T5P Lorspeaker was talking about, nor the FA-003 (although I have HM5 - Fischer clone coming before the end of the month hopefully).

I would strongly sugest that if you are considering choosing between the DT880 and the SRH940 - see if you can demo them both first.  The DT880 will require a decent amp (for the 250 or 600 ohm) - so that needs to be factored.  I do agree with Lorspeaker that the 940 is very warm, while the DT880 is quite cool - which is why people often use tubes to warm the mid-range with the DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back