Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #226 of 22,945
I had mine for a week, about 50-70 hours of run in time

Comparing the SE846 to my SE535,
SE846 provides more "layers" of music than 535 did,
feel like a 3D movie Vs a 2D one

it makes listening to my music more enjoyable than ever.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #228 of 22,945
What I've found is that the shures adjust very well to different sound signatures of different amps. With my protector they sound dark; with the apex glacier they sound bright; with my portaphile 627 they have an enveloping sound with great bass and Tubey mids.

Certainly these are a pair of phones that can handle anything you throw at them. Id guess this also means they respond well to eq, although since I don't use eq I wouldn't know.

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #229 of 22,945
I just received my forza audioworks hybrid cables for my 846s and a hybrid lod cable for my Walkman to my RSA Shadow amp. I did quite a bit of A-B testing between the stock cable and the forza one.  I wanted to do my damndest to make sure I wasn't experiencing a placebo effect. I am sure there is a difference between cables despite what others say. Now,  that being said,  it wasn't a night and day difference. What I experience with the hybrid cables is a bit wider soundstage, mids that sounds more detailed,  and smoother/better blended at the same time, and highs that have a bit better presentation,  and no loss of the wonderful bass these produce.  I will say there was no discernable change in bass with the cable switch,  but I will never go back to the stock cable. As a bonus,  I find this cable much more comfortable than the stock one. If this new Sony dap coming out lives up to the claimed battery life,  I do believe I've found my end state for portable audio. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #230 of 22,945
I just received my forza audioworks hybrid cables for my 846s and a hybrid lod cable for my Walkman to my RSA Shadow amp. I did quite a bit of A-B testing between the stock cable and the forza one.  I wanted to do my damndest to make sure I wasn't experiencing a placebo effect. I am sure there is a difference between cables despite what others say. Now,  that being said,  it wasn't a night and day difference. What I experience with the hybrid cables is a bit wider soundstage, mids that sounds more detailed,  and smoother/better blended at the same time, and highs that have a bit better presentation,  and no loss of the wonderful bass these produce.  I will say there was no discernable change in bass with the cable switch,  but I will never go back to the stock cable. As a bonus,  I find this cable much more comfortable than the stock one. If this new Sony dap coming out lives up to the claimed battery life,  I do believe I've found my end state for portable audio. 
new Sony dap?? Hmm please explain I'm very interested thanks... Is it going to be as expensive as a higher end daps out there or is it going to be more affordable like the ipod classic?

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #231 of 22,945
new Sony dap?? Hmm please explain I'm very interested thanks... Is it going to be as expensive as a higher end daps out there or is it going to be more affordable like the ipod classic?

Sony have a couple of higher end models coming out.  One next week, (walkman f866) and (nwz zx1) one rumoured to be out around february time.  More details in the portable source section of headfi :)

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #234 of 22,945
Except it seems that next week has been bumped to november, no idea on the other one.

We now return you to your scheduled chat on the shure 846 :)

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #236 of 22,945
I have a few new toys incoming...

RSA Intruder, Ted Allen Balanced Silver Headphone Cables for the SE846.

For what it is worth, I wanted to say that the customer service from Ray and Ted were outstanding on the front end. I had plenty of questions for them both and they were very thorough and wonderful to work with. I am egar to hear them paired together!

Anyway, at least I will have spent some time with the stock cable and iPHONE as the amp and will be able to share my feedback on how the IEMs scale with equipment upgrades.

Cheers!

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #240 of 22,945
Hi spook!
I just order an OCC silver single end cable from Ted (I don't like using AMP), is it much better than the stock cable in terms of sound quality?

The OCC silvers from Headphone Lounge have opened the high and low ends and expanded the soundstage slightly without sacrificing the lush midrange of the 846. The easiest way for me to describe the general difference between the stock cables and the silvers is an material overall tightening and clarity of the sonic signature from top to bottom. I have read hear some people state that pure silver makes the sound brighter but I think what you hear is more clarity not brightness.

The silvers took what I thought was a great universal IEM and made them SOAR. Listening to Peter Gabriel's flute and Steve Hackett's guitar of Genesis' in "The Fifth of Firth" or Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth has brought a noticeable clarity and beauty heretofore unheard.

As for the build quality, the memory wire was actually easier to slip over my ears than the stock cables and it retains its shape better. Also, I am finding that the 24 gauge silver wires are much less likely to tangle than the stock Shure cable.

I am such a believer in Ted's cables that I have (against all conventional wisdom here at Head-Fi) abandoned my Lighting to 30 pin adapter and silver LOD to a straight 3.5mm to 3.5mm silver interconnect out of my iPhone 5 to the RSA Protector and am finding even greater clarity and PRaT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back