Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #211 of 22,945
  the 846 is the best IEM I have ever used and heard and I have tried them all pretty much.....the only downside I find of the 846 relative to my 535 is the size of the housing and the ability to put it in my ear comfortably and easily...I love the size of the 535 and the angle at which the tip goes into my ear creating a seal and isolating outside noise....it is also much easier to grab and position the 535 for me.....the 846 is bulkier and the angle of the nozzle is a bit different and does not isolate quite as well for me as the 535...i recognize i might be different than others in this regard and perhaps my ear size etc enters into it...all that said the 846 simply sounds glorious and draws me into the music and makes me want to listen to my music more often and that is the highest praise I can give

I also have some fit issues - the 846 housing is slightly too large for my liking.  Nothing I can't deal with though!

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #214 of 22,945
Churchill was right "I think I can save the British Empire from anything, except the British"

Charles Manson was right (about a couple things anyway) - "You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy."  

No idea what Churchill or the UK and EU economy have to do with Shure's decision to delay the release of the SE846 here.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #215 of 22,945
  the 846 is the best IEM I have ever used and heard and I have tried them all pretty much.....

So let's exclude customs iems, and consider you meant universals. You have tried 1Plus2, TG334, Flat-4 Kaede, AGK K3003, IE800, FAD Fi-bass ? Because they are more or less the only ones that compare price-wise.

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #218 of 22,945
I have tried and used the 535,the westone 3 and 4 and etymotics and ultimate ears customs....not every IEM for sure but a pretty good cross section and as I said the 846 is the best i have heard and I am a tough critic which is why I have tried so many different IEM's

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #219 of 22,945
This hobby is a pretty tough one sometimes- between trying out new music and all the gear, it's a wonder we have any time at all :)

Anyway, I'm happy with my SE846 now- I'm now moving into the 'seek out new music' phase of my hobby. Once I am past that adventurous phase, I come back from time to time to look more at other gear. Cos I personally think you gotta test gear with songs you're familiar with, which pretty much precludes any new songs...

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #220 of 22,945
PS, I agree- the housing is bigger than my previous shures/ westones, but you can tell they're from the same family of design and ergonomics. I guess they just had to make it bigger to fit more drivers.

Some other IEMs I have though seem to be from another design planet (eg. UE900).

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #221 of 22,945
Ok guys, I've got 2 weeks on my se846s, probably 50 hours or so of listening on them. Today I was able to plug them into my B&W MM-1 speakers for the first time which have a better DAC and amp than the output on my iPhone and Macbook Air.  The sound is sooo much richer. It's creamy. So now I need to find an amp/dac setup that's portable. 
cool.gif

Any recommendations? The RSA Protector seems to be well received. Not trying to derail the thread or anything; just looking for your input since I'd imagine that most of the people on this thread with SE846s are running them through some kind dac and amp.

Thanks for your time and help.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #222 of 22,945
Ok guys, I've got 2 weeks on my se846s, probably 50 hours or so of listening on them. Today I was able to plug them into my B&W MM-1 speakers for the first time which have a better DAC and amp than the output on my iPhone and Macbook Air.  The sound is sooo much richer. It's creamy. So now I need to find an amp/dac setup that's portable. :cool:

Any recommendations? The RSA Protector seems to be well received. Not trying to derail the thread or anything; just looking for your input since I'd imagine that most of the people on this thread with SE846s are running them through some kind dac and amp.

Thanks for your time and help.

I HIGHLY recommend the RSA Protector with the SE846 that is exactly my current portable set up.

You asked about an Amp/DAC, unfortunately, the Protector is just a balanced amp. If you want both look at the RSA Intruder that is the Protector with a DAC. Also realize that to get the most out of either the Protector or Intruder you should go balanced and that will require balanced cables. For balanced cables as I have said before I cannot recommend Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge highly enough. Send me a private message if you have more questions.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #223 of 22,945
Hi All,

I am still loving my SE846 IEMs.  I just wanted to chime in on the sonic change after many hours.  I have somewhere between 50-100 hours now on them and the bass does subside.  I struggled with the word "subside" because I am not sure that is the right way to characterize it.  It is an improvement on an already very good set of IEMs.  Anyway, I can say I have seen first hand what other owners have posted on this thread.

Cheers!

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #224 of 22,945
  I have tried and used the 535,the westone 3 and 4 and etymotics and ultimate ears customs....not every IEM for sure but a pretty good cross section and as I said the 846 is the best i have heard and I am a tough critic which is why I have tried so many different IEM's

So, we need now to find a way to compare the SE846  and the 1Plus2 ...to know who deserve the crown !  
size]

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #225 of 22,945
So, we need now to find a way to compare the SE846  and the 1Plus2 ...to know who deserve the crown !  :wink:

In my opinion, the 846 with stock cable cannot be compared to the 1p2 with gs cable, let alone the uber... I am now searching for a good cable for the 846 to bring out its shine! Will get it in 2 weeks hopefully!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back